Good Idea?

madandybell
madandybell Posts: 148
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

Bought myself a Boardman Team with all the latest SRAM rival groupset. Good bike but would prefer a better frame.

Am thinking of running round on this for a year then getting another bike next on CTW scheme with a good frame but not as good components (possibly trek 1.5) and swapping my SRAM rival stuff from my Boardman, then putting the lower rated groupset on my Boardman and using that as a winter bike.

Anyone see any downfalls to this?? Too much messing about??

Cheers.

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    aint that boardman the carbon one that won the olympics? :wink:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    which olympics and which race? The Olympic Road Race (Mens) was won with an Orbea Orca, the TT with a Trek I think ...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    JC.152 wrote:
    aint that boardman the carbon one that won the olympics? :wink:

Were the track riders on Dolans and the roadies on whatever their teams provide them with?
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Nicole Cooke won both the Olympic road race and World Championships on a Boardman.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    ... or at least a bike that 'badged' as a Boardman.
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Sounds like a lot of effort swapping bits over. If you're not happy with it, surely the easiest option is to sell it and buy something else. When you say you'd prefer a better frame, in what way ? what lets it down ? do you mean you want carbon ?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    why don't you just get a boardman carbon on the CTW scheme?

to be honest - I can't see the trek having a better frame than your alu boardman - I'm not saying that carbon makes things better (it doesn't - at least not just because it is 'carbon') but it is a range up.

The trek is just another entry level aluminium frame - what makes you think it will be any better?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Looks like there are two grades of the carbon Boardman.....

Anyway, the "race prepared" is a steal at £3,300 with SRAM Red, Ritchey WCS and Zipp 404's......

It's light, but not the stiffest of frames - but more than ideal sportive/club bike.