Noob Questions:

Jamjoe
Jamjoe Posts: 7
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hey, first post here.
So bought a lower end bike today and decided to ride it home, planning to do 16mi , however I got lost :oops: still a very enjoyable 90min ride.

However,
Q1: Are there some leg exercises I can do that don't require gym/weights? My legs got tired a lot quicker than I got out of breathe, and had a comic moment when I finished the ride and tried walking up the stairs in my house :) Looking for some that I can just do around the house, however I imagine riding more will help > plan on doing 4 days a week.

Q2: On the top 2 or 3 gears the chain starts making a clicking noise when Im pedaling which stops when I stop pedaling. Is this a problem or just a nuisance which can be sorted?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Answers-

1 - Ride your bike, that'll do!
    2 - Sounds like you need your mechs adjusting slightly...
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    1 - As above... or...

Stand with your back against a wall with large ball lodged in the small of your back, between you and the wall. Squat down until your thighs are horizontal... stand up. Repeat in sets of 15.

Even better, put something heavy in each hand. I use 12kg weights, but you can start with a house brick in each hand.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Jamjoe wrote:
    Hey, first post here.
    So bought a lower end bike today and decided to ride it home, planning to do 16mi , however I got lost :oops: still a very enjoyable 90min ride.
    quote]
    ROFL :lol: Yeah it's funny how roads look different by car then by bike.

Went into Southampton yesterday with the family.On the way back there was a traffic jam ahead on the main road into Lyndhurst (nothing unusal there) so I took a detour accross the forest. My wife asked 1/2 way through the "shortcut" ., "why are you going this LONG way?". I had switched to "cycle mode" and was following my normal extended circuit that I ride. :oops:
    I just told her we were taking the scenic route and I began pointing out the forest ponies and donkeys and cows that I say hello to when I normally cycle past. :roll:

Jamjoe, as stated above..just cycle more, it does get easier :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    As the others have said...the best exercise to improve cycling fitness is cycling itself.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you want to do leg strength building exercises you should perhaps focus on the glutes and the hamstrings as these are probably the muscles most used in cycling, but as others here have said, just get out on the bike.

If you've got a new bike and it's "clicking", take it back and get them to fix it. A new bike should be silky smooth to ride! Pretty much completely silent.

On the cars v bikes thing, I always get completely mixed up when I switch to a car. If you get lost you can't so easily pull over to 1 side to check a map if you're mid traffic flow and you have to obey all the 1 way systems! :wink:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    The clicking noise could be made if you're 'crossing your chain', ie.the chain is on the big ring at the front and on the gear(s) closest to the hub at the rear, or on the small ring at the front and on the small gear(s) at the rear (nearest the chainstays).

Chain crossing isn't advised (puts stress on the chain) and the sound could be made as the chain rubs on the front derailleur(you say it's only when pedalling). You should be able to fine adjust or trim the derailleur by moving the STIs slightly, but as Headhunter says, it may be worth taking it to get it checked out.
    FCN 1