parbold hill

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
anyone local to parbold hill?
going to be giving it a go in a couple of weeks, then carry on through appley bridge, up holland, skem then back through ormskirk to aintree
done a recce in my van today and am looking forward to it.
did everyone find it tough on their 1st go?
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Did it on Thurday :)
    I am a big guy 95kg but managed it ok, but it was easer as had a strong tail wnd.
    Near by the is roby mill, I have tryed that hill twice and not managed it yet. So you could do both.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Hi lmeadows - I take it in on a route from Crosby to Rivington and back - it gets steeper as you go up and just past the church it hits about 14%. I think its still tough on your 100th go - its just that you are going a bit faster (hopefully) .There are some other decent climbs round there so I often head out there and play around for a couple of hours - Ashurst Beacon, Crow Lane etc and couple I can't name.

Enjoy and may see you out there one of these days.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    There is a back road that runs parallel to the main road. Try that as well.
    M.Rushton
  • jmeadows
    thanks for replys guys, looking forward to it, prob do it next weekend as i have a bleedin christining to be dragged to 2mo.
    jthef- i possibly went through roby mill on my way back, unsure though, thrying to work my route on google, i dropped off parbold hill at the appley bridge junction and headed to skem from there.
    will just do the route i know first then try diff ways in the next few weeks, see if am cut out for hills!
    :D :twisted:
  • pdstsp
    Good luck and enjoy
  • jthef
    Hi JMeadows
    Easiest way to describe is from Burscough towards Parbold this is the steep way up so take it easy at the start as it does steepen up, at the top there is a ice cream van (usually, if you are over heating) then you have a nice down hill bit until you come to the cross roads turn right towards Appley Bridge and then it is straight down then up to Roby mill.
    The lanes to the left of Parbold are quite so if you want an easer time try there. Also round there is part of the Lancashire cycle way rought 91 and that can take you back towards Ormskirk on quieter roads.
    HTH
  • jmeadows
    jthef- yeh that must be the way i went in van, so i must of gone to roby mill,
    will prob loop through skem then as i say and then back to ormskirk way or through latham, cheers for the help & advice you lot :D
    whats HTH?
  • jthef
    hope this helps
    :)
  • bbbike
    bbbike Posts: 139
    You can get a copy of Route 91 map here which does loop you back to Ormskirk, really well signposted and mostly on quiet roads.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/view.asp?siteid=3732&pageid=12588&e=e
    Hills hurt!!!
  • bbbike
    bbbike Posts: 139
    Anyone know whats happened to "Brian ??? Cyclerouteuk" his website is down, just wanted to check out a route that was posted their in the past.

I'm sure he came from Ormskirk/Skem.
    Hills hurt!!!
  • spartacuscp
    spartacuscp Posts: 151
    As you are heading up parbold hill there is a turning on the left called lancaster lane . Take this for a change and after about a mile a right turn will take you up stoney lane. This is a good hill. At the top (Rigbye arms pub) turn right and down hill then right at the next junction this takes you to the junctioun at the other side of parbold hill.(another pub). Go straight over this junction down to appley bridge over canal, then rise up to a sharp left (Lees lane on right , which will take you to the ashursts climb via dungeon lane or hillock lane). If you dont take the right to lees lane carry on up the hill called bank top, past the star inn pub, then after half a mile turn right up crow lane , at the t junc turn right which will take you to the top of ashursts hill. down to the chuch, turn left down beacon lane and back via cobbs brow lane ,the plough pub, head to bicerstaffe and back to aintree. Repeat until tip top fit.
    Enthusiasm over ability every time
  • pdstsp
    I ride over there a lot - the one I really hate is Bank Top - it always kills me, Not sure of the gradient but it feels like cycling through wet cement to me. Love Crow Lane and Stoney Lane always seems steper than it looks - every time I go up it the guy in the cottage on the left near the top is doing his garden and I must ruin his Saturdy morning peace with the heavy breathing.
  • jmeadows
    bbike- cheers
    spartacus- thats great ta, when am getting fed up of the usual route i will giv that a go, prob do a recce in van 1st so i know the route, thank a lot :D
  • spartacuscp
    spartacuscp Posts: 151
    If you feel comfortable riding a loop of 40 miles or so from home to parbold etc the Liverpool Mercury/Dolan cycling club ride saturday morning from kirkby way towards parbold and back via rufford . Also sunday 2 groups do 40 or 65+ miles from litherland and fazak.
    Jump in and have a spin. They have there own web-site , look via google.
    Enthusiasm over ability every time
  • jmeadows
    spartacus- i have thought about joining the merc, only had my road bike about 6 weeks now although i used my mtb all last year, i wanted to find my feet a little first before i joined so i may take you up on that, you are a member then?
    i usually do 20 mile sprint work/interval, or 40-70 milers with intervals so i would be hopeful of keeping pace. been on the website too, one thing put me off when i read someone asking for marshalls for a race, stating its a condtion of membership to volunteer, i have twins on the way so the last thing i need is pressure to marshall as well as get my training rides in, having said that i do plan to join :)
  • jmeadows
    ok guys done the parbold hill thing yesterday, loved it!
    from aintree through lathom right at ringobells then to parbold, right at appley bridge, passing lees lane,(went left) and up roby mill, up holland, skem(got lost, wrong turn at 1st roundabout!), ormskirk then home.
    made a few basic errors, had brekky right before i left mine, threw a flapjack down on parbold approach then nearly threw it all back up again :lol:
    loved the pain and fighting the urge to stop, cruised past some geezer on the main climb to the top of parbold too! seen him on approach and thought mmm, interesting to see how i fair, caught him & passed him with a 'morning'! he then flew past on the descent as i freewheeled and got further away through appley, then on approach to roby mill i caught him again but he turned off to lees lane and i didnt know what was up there.
    roby mill was fun because i forgot it was there! a nice sting in the tail :twisted: cyclings grrreeeaaattt!
    the lung & leg burning intensity was what i have been after since i got a mtb last year, hooked on hills now, although i know they got A LOT bigger than parbold & roby way.
  • emjayjay
    emjayjay Posts: 39
    Hi folks!

First try at Parbold Hill today! came from Southport through Bescar and up to Burscough ind estate. The followed the signs for Parbold. wondered what all the fuss was about for about 4 miles, until the lights at the narrow bridge!!!

Made it as far as the school, and then had to walk the rest of the way :oops: only had my bike a week tho, so not too bad.

Then went down the other side and down through Appley Bridge and found Roby Mill. Didn't make it up that one either!

Kept going straight on until the memorial junction at the end of College Lane, and then down towards Gathurst. Went up through Shevington, following signs for Ormskirk and Parbold, and then went up the other side of Parbold Hill (an absolute doddle!), and back through Bescar and back to Southport.

About 38 miles in total, and I'm v pleased with myself. It was throwing it down this afternoon too, so i probably weighed twice as much!!! Discovered that braking in wet woolen gloves isn't fun, and that my toes got very cold too. Probably with them being so wet!

Still, loved it, and despite being a bit lost up until I saw signs for Parbold and Ormskirk at Shevington, I had a great time. Managed to get just over 30mph down Appley Bridge bit too - v hairy in the wet.

Deffo doing it again!.
  • pdstsp
    Well done emjayjay - keep at it - it really was not nice yesterday afternoon so it'll feel easier on a sunny day and you can promise yourself an ice cream at the top!!

I was out yesterday and my feet were soaking and freezing inside shoes and overshoes - horrible feeling. But it makes days like today (glorious) worth the wait.

Paul
  • emjayjay
    Thanks Paul!

Went out this morning, and it was much nicer than yesterday!
  • jmeadows
    well in emjay, its fun isnt it?! good going with you only having your bike a week, and with the lovely rainy weather...
    i done it again this morning and found it a whole lot easier than the first time, physically & mentally, didnt feel sick, legs felt stronger so i pushed quicker and felt less breathless, so it can get easier! bank tops great cause youve just done parbold and the appley descent and you see this big enclosed slope in front of you, i think its mentally tougher than parbold. i was lucky with the weather too as it was sunny & warm this morning
    paul and or sparacus whats the ashurst climb like off lees lane?
    emjay what bottom gear have you got?
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    If memory serves me right, there's another interesting climb in the area. Try http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/st%20helens/239123953477738644 - about 19kms
  • Hi,

new to the forum, I was wondering what sort of times and fitness, you lads are in doing parbold. I'm in ormskirk and have just started to take cycling serious.

I always veiwed Parbold as a goal, If I could get up there then I would know I was on the right track. But by the sounds of it , its just a training excercise for you lot.

I have a Montain Bike and a Claude Butler Tarino, Which bike are you using ?

Should I concentrate on one bike, at the minute, I just take the one I fancy.

Sorry there is a lot of questions.

Cheers, Ivan
  • emjayjay
    jmeadows wrote:
    well in emjay, its fun isnt it?! good going with you only having your bike a week, and with the lovely rainy weather...
    i done it again this morning and found it a whole lot easier than the first time, physically & mentally, didnt feel sick, legs felt stronger so i pushed quicker and felt less breathless, so it can get easier! bank tops great cause youve just done parbold and the appley descent and you see this big enclosed slope in front of you, i think its mentally tougher than parbold. i was lucky with the weather too as it was sunny & warm this morning
    paul and or sparacus whats the ashurst climb like off lees lane?
    emjay what bottom gear have you got?

It sure i's great fun!!!

i went out with the Southport Cycling Club yesterday morning, and did a 30 miler around Banks, Croston and Rufford. First time riding in a group, and really enjoyed it.

not sure what my bottom gear is - my bike's a Giant TCR1 with 105 groupset. I reckon with a few more weeks riding i'll be able to crack Parbold Hill, and then a few weeks after that Roby Mill too!
  • emjayjay
    geordieguy wrote:
    Hi,

new to the forum, I was wondering what sort of times and fitness, you lads are in doing parbold. I'm in ormskirk and have just started to take cycling serious.

I always veiwed Parbold as a goal, If I could get up there then I would know I was on the right track. But by the sounds of it , its just a training excercise for you lot.

I have a Montain Bike and a Claude Butler Tarino, Which bike are you using ?

Should I concentrate on one bike, at the minute, I just take the one I fancy.

Sorry there is a lot of questions.

Cheers, Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I've just started cycling, and am using a road bike - I've been running for about a year, so i've got quite a good level of fitness, but I'm using completely different muscles to running.

I'm still learning a lot about cycling, and have been told that it's more important to concentrate on cadence (pedalling speed) than actual speed.

Ideally (so I'm told!) cadence should be around 80-100 rpm, and this will help build up fitness and stamina.

anyone with more experience or knowledge please correct me if i'm wrong!!!
  • jmeadows
    hippo- cheers, will look at that when my browser allows me to open it!
    emjay- forgot to say i wondered what the fuss was about when i done a recce in my van until i had to engage 2nd gear to keep momentum , poor little tranny van! do lots of running myself, great way to keep fitness levels up , but yeh is totally different to riding, riding is easier for me and comes more naturally.
    ivan- everyone has different goals, mine was to ride up parbold and roby 2 weeks ago and yesterday i done it for the 2nd time and found it a lot easier than the first, now i want to fly up it! emjay will do it soon too.
    i ride a roadie, dont worry too much about the complexitys of riding, enjoy it , find a way of riding that works for you and is efficient for you, dont konw how long it takes me to get up parbold & roby, dont know where to time from, my ride yesterday was 37mile & took 1.54hr if that helps? last week was 42mile & took 2.21hr.
    i would advise interval work as it really helps fitness levels & will better prepare you for hills than a long slow slog, getting fitness levels up takes time so be patient, i rode a mtb all last year then got my roadie in feb of this & i always work hard on my bike & try & train with a purpose, most of all ENJOY, even the pain! :twisted:
  • Thanks for the advice, will give Parbold ago next week.

By the sound of the distances coved and your times . I'm way behind !!!

I'll build up the distance and the interval work. Get some weight off and my speed up before I venture out with a group.

I'm recording every ride now, so at least I know when I'm improving for the past few years I've just been popping out for a ride and not putting much structure to it.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ivan
  • jmeadows
    give it a go for sure, youll never know if you can ride it until you try it, best of luck
  • emjayjay
    geordieguy wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, will give Parbold ago next week.

By the sound of the distances coved and your times . I'm way behind !!!

I'll build up the distance and the interval work. Get some weight off and my speed up before I venture out with a group.

I'm recording every ride now, so at least I know when I'm improving for the past few years I've just been popping out for a ride and not putting much structure to it.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ivan

Ivan,

Regarding riding in a group, I went out with Southport Cycling Club on Saturday morning, and learnt a lot with them - it was "only" a 30 mile ride, and was at a slow (by their standards!) pace, but really enjoyable, and we stopped for a brew half way round!

I'd thoroughly recommend riding with a group sooner rather than later, as you'll experience the benefits and learn good riding habits and techniques.

Matthew