New club, advice sought for group cycling.

TOPAZ06
TOPAZ06 Posts: 13
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi folks,

We've just set up a new club with the emphasis on participation on sportive riding rather than racing, just wondering is anyone aware of any sites with information for beginners on the correct way to cycle efficiently as a group, switching at the front etc, I'd like to put a link on our website to show beginners rather than come across all preachy on the road.
(you tube links would be great too, if they exist).

Cheers. :)
"May the wind be always at your back".

Comments

• TOPAZ06
    I'll just try again.

Thanks anyway.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Hi, Good suggestion. Do a lot of sportives and just started road racing. For the latter I bought this ebook
    http://www.arniebakercycling.com/books/b_strategy_tactics.htm

which you might want to consider since, though targeted at racing has got a lot of stuff of interest to sportive riders as well including just about everything you want to know about group riding. (disclaimer: this is not an invitation to open up the hoary old whats the difference between a road race and sportive chestnut)

Otherwise it might be worth googling. I tried entering "group bike drafting" and got a few hits which may be useful. Most a bit preachy on how to ride safely in a group but that may be what you are after.

If you do find anything of interest please post to let us know. PS another place to ask this is cyclosport.org (which hopefully you already know about if interested in sportives but just in case..)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Easiest way to start is to ride in a structured double paceline -
    Front pair spend about 1 min on front, then front right moves across to front left position and everyone on left drops back a place, rear left moves across to become rear right.

Ad infinitum...
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Hi

I seem to remember a link to this page being posted on a thread not long ago. Might be helpful.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6731
  • bahzob
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Easiest way to start is to ride in a structured double paceline -
    Front pair spend about 1 min on front, then front right moves across to front left position and everyone on left drops back a place, rear left moves across to become rear right.

Ad infinitum...

But (and its a big one) everybody needs to know/follow the rules. Fine if you are a team or experienced but simply does not happen on sportives (and quite a few of the road races i have taken part in).

Easiest way to start is team time trial format. single line, lead person pulls till had enough then signals and moves (just need to agree if gutter or traffic side, pros/cons for both). Person behind takes up the strain and lead moves to end of queue (or more likely to end of those willing to work).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fair comment, then graduate to the double after time and understanding develops.

I was launched straight into the double so never got to do the single pace line...
  • bahzob
    Rhods wrote:
    Hi

I seem to remember a link to this page being posted on a thread not long ago. Might be helpful.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6731

Thanks, that's really helpful. Covers most everything, only thing I'd add are what to do if need to move into single line formation (guess its something like, outside line moves inside slotting in behind rider to their side. Riders inside should ease back to create gap, riders moving from outside should check for gap and make clear handsignal before moving over).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • TOPAZ06
    Thank's

I'll check these out.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Sportive riding has no rules at all ,you just need to pay attention to whats going on around you. IMO the best you'll get is to run them with a double line like a club run and even then it'll get messy at times. Oh and you have to talk to each other, obviously the more on the limit you are then the shorter and sharper this ends up and people just have to accept that and not get the hump.