Bike fitting advice

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All,

This may not be the right forum for this topic & it may be a little long winded, so apologies in advance .

I commute around 150 miles p/wk on my fixie Pompino but i also have a Trek OCLV which i have started to use on my commute as i am doing longer rides on my way home to step up the training.

I appreciate this is a very ambiguous field & there may be no definitive answer. My Trek is a 58cm & i am 6'2" with a 32" inseam & until recently was running a 110mm stem with a +6 deg rise & a pair of FSA wing pro carbon bars 44cm ctr to ctr. I have now changed them for a beautiful pair of Cinelli Rams 42 ctr to ctr with an integrated 100mm stem & i believe a neutral rise.

Since the change, i have noticed that i am getting a pain in my elbows & possibly my lower back, although i suspect this may be my crap office chair.

I never had the problems with my initial set up, however i felt the stem too long & couldn't resist the RAMs

Does anyone have any sugeestion ? ie : move the hoods, seat back (although this may contradict the shorter stem option).

Is it that the bars are too narrow for me?

Many thanks in advance.

Nobody ever said it would be an easy ride !! :D
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I would try and replicate the old position - with your new bars. Also some stretching excises for cyclists may help - there are loads on the web - it could just be your body adjusting to the new position - but wouldn't ride for to long if things don't improve
  • shedhead
    Hi Kingrollo,
    Thanks for your advice, i shall have a look at the stretching excercises, although my kids may take it as an excuse for an all in wrestling match.

The problem i have with trying to replicate my old position is that the Ram bars have a fixed angle & stem length.

I have been riding in the new position for a couple of weeks now, so i'll give it a few more weeks.
    Cheers
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Yeah - my stretching excercises are a source of constant amusement for my family. !

Its much frowned upon - but you could measure your reach with the old bars - then adjust your saddle position up\down - forwards\backwards to get closer to the original position - use this as a last resort though as you are altering more of your position on the bike.

Good luck
  • Simon N
    Simon N Posts: 8
    One the best online resources for setting up your bikes:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

It is well worth taking the time doing it right and get your results emailed to yourself.
    FR/DH: Orange Big T :: XC: Specialized stumpjumper fsr :: Road: Specialized Roubaix expert :: Commute: Genesis Flyer
  • That looks like a really good fit calculator. I'll be giving that a go when I get home.

Thanks Simon.
  • shedhead
    Hi Simon,

thanks for your reply, i'll be asking the mrs to lend a hand over the weekend, strange looks waiting in the wings methinks
    !!!!
  • rollin
    rollin Posts: 26
    That looks like a really good fit calculator. I'll be giving that a go when I get home.

Thanks Simon.

Make sure you get someone else to measure you and take an average of at least 3-5 readings. It is a great starting point.
  • shedhead
    Hi all,
    thanks fo your replies,
    Not being tght here, there's a credit crunch on you know !!! Is the bike calculator free?

(that does soundtight doesn't it?)
    Cheers :lol:
  • Simon N
    Simon N Posts: 8
    Yes its 100% free
    FR/DH: Orange Big T :: XC: Specialized stumpjumper fsr :: Road: Specialized Roubaix expert :: Commute: Genesis Flyer