Light changed VERY fast!

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I was riding up winchester road here in southampton today and past the industrial estate theres a crossroads and lights. Green as I came within 5 feet of the line, whitevan man cuts me up to get through (as there was a car waiting to turn right into the estate, not a lot of room). I followed the van over the line on green and then in the space of half a second it changed from amber to red.

Bit quick. :shock: I ducked in left and braked, then rolled back down a bit. Those lights have done that to me before. They "malfunctioned" a couple of years back I sailed through on green and as I reached the left junction hadnt noticed they had changed fast and a car pulled out on me from the left nearly wiping me out. Such a brown trouser moment that I've always been extra careful there since.

Maybe I need to report them just incase they are faulty again. :?

Comments

• Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    I think you should report them. I am not sure of the particular bit of the road you are referring to (I was born and dragged up in that part of the world but moved away over 30 years ago and can ealily get lost on my in return trips :oops: ) However I do remember that it is a main arterial road with junctions to several other 'A' roads. IIRC quite a bit of it is a 40MPH limit (which means most motorists will be doing 50+ and braking for any speed cameras. A dodgey traffic light is a recipe for a nasty accident - especially there - so you may save someone some grief if your reoprt gets the light fixed.

The other reason to report it is that it may shove responsibility onto the shoulders of the body which is supposed to maintain these things (local authority?) in the event of a shunt.

Normally I would suggest a phone call to the local authority - but as this a bank holiday weekend it may be better to call the police. If the lights cannot be fixed then at least they can be switched off and warning notices put in place.

From what you write of you previous experience, early notification (assuming the pioblem is dealt with quickly) could also save you and a few others from an embarassing and expensive visit to the local laundry or dry cleaner :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No point in phoning the police - the local council must have a duty Highway Inspector who should deal with the problem
  • downfader
    Found it on google maps. This bit is a 30 limit and the junction is some way from the lights, so hence easy to get caught out.

google street view

I'll see what the council website says as even at christmas they tend to have some staff on. (I reported something about 2 years back and got a personal reply within an hour on the 23rd of december iirc)
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    IIRC it is a legal requirement that amber alone is on for 3 seconds, amber and red for 2 seconds. So if the amber is on for half a second you should definitely report them.
  • downfader
    Reported! :)
  • That junction is just around the corner from my workplace. Its amazing how many cars try to leave the shopping complex turning right onto Winchester Road, without realising that traffic exiting Bladon Road have a green light too... Had some interesting moments driving work cars/vans/lorries when I have been turning right out of Bladon towards Shirley!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • downfader
    That junction is just around the corner from my workplace. Its amazing how many cars try to leave the shopping complex turning right onto Winchester Road, without realising that traffic exiting Bladon Road have a green light too... Had some interesting moments driving work cars/vans/lorries when I have been turning right out of Bladon towards Shirley!

I have walked around there a few times so have seen that once or twice. It seems one or two drivers sometimes block the road there as they dont take the traffic islands into account. Its still a pretty wide road by all accounts.

The local council have winchester road ear marked on a suggestion list i think they said, for a proper cycle lane and some ASLs. The money has never been forthcoming though. :(
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    downfader wrote:
    The local council have winchester road ear marked on a suggestion list i think they said, for a proper cycle lane and some ASLs. The money has never been forthcoming though. :(

Don't hold your breath. Parliament promised us a bypass 36 years ago and we haven't got it yet. :cry: