Help me with this puncture causing spoke

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited April 2009 in The workshop
Keep getting a puncture in the same place all the time. I'm pretty sure that it's caused by a bit of rough metal on the spoke screw on the inside of the rim. It doesn't seem to be a problem when it's fixed or when i'm riding, but when i get off and come back a short while later the tyre is alway flat.

I am using rim tape. Does anyone know of any better products. It looks as if the innertube is pushing down into the hole for the spoke screw which then punctures it. Very frustrated!!!! :?
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Get some better quality rim tape or run two.

what rim tape are you using? and is the spokehole area putting a hole in the rim tape?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The plastic type rim tape isn't too good, Velox cloth tape may be more successful.
  • npowell28
    Yeah there was a burr on the spoke screw. I did take the burr off but it's still doing it. I've just seen some more rim tape that is good for up to 200psi. My rims originally held chunky tyres that were only ever pumped up to about 60psi. I now have skinnys that i normally pump up to about 110-115. Thats obviously the cause. I'll change it.

Thanks as always for the advice
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • alfablue
    I would treat the "up to 200psi" thing with a pinch of salt, just get Velox rim tape, avoid anything plastic, or the Pedros cloth tape (flimsy, tried it, punctures, back to Velox).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    duck tape works pretty well, and you'll get a lot of wheels done with one roll. It tears pretty well longitudinally as well
  • npowell28
    velox it is then. I'll get some. Do halfords do it?
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • alfablue
    I doubt if Halfords do it, good LBS or Chainreactioncycles.