Southern Uplands

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
Anybody done this ride in Scotland? Whats the opinion of it?
M.Rushton

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Its the only sportive that I decided to repeat this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it last year. The first half of the ride is very fast and relatively easy terrain. The second half is hilly, on quiet roads and the hill top finish is unique. Organisation was spot on and the scenery was spectacular. The weather was perfect last year, it could be a much harder proposition in wet windy conditions.
    Highly recommended.
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    edited April 2009
    I recce'd the route (in the wind and rain) a couple of weeks before riding last year's event. Both times I found the course harder than I expected it to be. Only 2200 odd metres of climbing, but the roads are heavy. Nice scenery, and good organisation. Quite expensive at £27 for the full course, though.

During the '07 event, i]Edit: meant the '08 event[/i I rode the first 40 miles or so with a group of five or six that contained Catriona Morrison, the 2007 World Endurance Dualthlon Champion. She successfully defended that title a month or so after the event. That was worth my entry fee alone.

I ride Lowther several times a year (including last weekend) as part of a 113 mile circuit. It really is a brute of a hill, especially if you include the Mennock Pass beforehand!!
  • By the way, it's not too flat a course, as my ride data from my recce suggests:

SUS08recce290608.jpg

Also, even on a nice day, the top of Lowther and the NATS radar station is frequently in the clouds, for instance:

Photo-0043-small.jpg
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    I recce'd the route (in the wind and rain) a couple of weeks before riding last year's event. Both times I found the course harder than I expected it to be. Only 2200 odd metres of climbing, but the roads are heavy. Nice scenery, and good organisation. Quite expensive at £27 for the full course, though.

During the '07 event, I rode the first 40 miles or so with a group of five or six that contained Catriona Morrison, the 2007 World Endurance Dualthlon Champion. She successfully defended that title a month or so after the event. That was worth my entry fee alone.

I ride Lowther several times a year (including last weekend) as part of a 113 mile circuit. It really is a brute of a hill, especially if you include the Mennock Pass beforehand!!

You did well captain, as the event was not on in 2007. Are you remembering the Drumlanrig Challenge from 2007? A different event in the same area.

I would recommend any sportive in the south of Scotland,great scenery and no traffic. and this one does take you to the highest tarmac in Scotland.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    And for those of you who like the knobbly tyre, or even duathlons involving a hilly (ha!) offroad run followed by a bit of road biking, this one goes over the highest "road" in Scotland, full stop!

http://www.corrieyairack.org/
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveMoss wrote:
    You did well captain, as the event was not on in 2007. Are you remembering the Drumlanrig Challenge from 2007? A different event in the same area.

I would recommend any sportive in the south of Scotland,great scenery and no traffic. and this one does take you to the highest tarmac in Scotland.

Got my years mixed up: meant the '08 event.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    when is it etc can't find web site diolch Tommie