Best Brompton gearing?

rampax
rampax Posts: 139
edited April 2009 in Road general
Hi
I am selling my Brompton S2L to my girlfriend, so I can get one with a more upright position, and hopefully more evenly spaced gearing.

I was wondering which was the better of the two hub gears that Brompton currently use (Sturmey/sunrace or SRAM)?

Trawling around on the web, somebody said "dont stand up on the pedals if you get a hub geared Brompton, as the gears have a habit of slipping". Is this true?
If it is, I will stick with the 2 speed deraileur model, and make do.

Regards.
The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".

Comments

• cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    rampax wrote:
    Hi
    I am selling my Brompton S2L to my girlfriend, so I can get one with a more upright position, and hopefully more evenly spaced gearing.

I was wondering which was the better of the two hub gears that Brompton currently use (Sturmey/sunrace or SRAM)?

Trawling around on the web, somebody said "dont stand up on the pedals if you get a hub geared Brompton, as the gears have a habit of slipping". Is this true?

Regards.

I've got a standard M3L which is fitted with the sturmey. When gears are not quite 'set' they can jump out of gear - however the current sturmey - NIG (No Intermediate Gear) will just jump to another gear.

I though the SRAM 3 speed was only fitted to the six speed?

I'm thinking of changing to the S2L-X - use my bike every day and want as light as possible for taking up/down stairs. How do you find the 2 speed?
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • rampax
    The S2L is great generally.
    I love the way the deraileur system is really low tech.
    The only thing I dont like is that there is too bigger jump between the two gears.
    The big sprocket is a tiny bit too easy, and the smaller one is a bit to hard.
    It needs one in between.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Sort of on-topic!

"too bigger jump between the two gears.
    The big sprocket is a tiny bit too easy, and the smaller one is a bit to hard."

Do you have the standard 2 speed ratios - or the -7% or -18% options? The 2 speed is "4.45m + 5.93m", which I am unable to convert into numbers which have for me any meaning!

So does anyone know how to convert the "metres" given by Brompton into usual gear inches? I've tried working back via Sheldon's Calculator but got nowhere!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • rampax
    I have the standard one - which has a 54tooth chainring.
    I have just bought a 50tooth off ebay, so will see how I get on with that, as I would rather get more use out of the harder gear, and have the easier one for hills etc (rather than it being the "do it all" gear).
    I have never needed anything harder than the current smaller sprocket, so i am hoping this will be a solution.

Not sure about the gearing calculations, sorry.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    rampax wrote:

Regards.

What a load of rubbish. I have a 2004 L6 with clipiless SPDs and the gears have never slipped once. Hub has been totally reliable. The spread of the ratios is fine for me whether going up the Aubisque or Soulor or riding the hills of Holland. I could only imagine the gears would slip if they were fiddled with. Never even had to adjust mine. Infact I have had two L6s, the first was stolen. That hub on the 1st one was perfect too.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • rampax
    Thanks Dilema
    I am "almost" decided that I am going to go for the three speed hub gear model.
    Cheers.