Absolute Exhaustion

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
I was at the gym today and met a fellow cyclist in the sauna. He told me the following things:

1) Your body absorbs carbohydrates and converts them into muscle glycogen quicker, the more exhausted you get.
2) Therefore, at the end of a session, the last 5 minutes should consist of a burst of power, building up so that you should aim to get completely exhausted just as you get home to maximize carbohydrate conversion efficiency.
3) Just before you eat any carbohydrates, you should do 3 minutes on the trainer at high-intensity because it will "focus" the carbohydrates (as glycogen) into your legs. The idea being, that you create a serious demand in your legs for fuel.
4) A good way to load-up fuel for the next day is to go out late at night for 10 minutes and completely burn yourself out, putting out the maximum power you can handle for the duration. Return home, have 5/6 fast-acting recovery drinks and go to bed immediately. :shock:

Now... True or False to each of the above? :?

I usually warm-up and cool-off before and after riding, as I used to put the power down on the "home straight" when out training and found that it was not too good for recovery. I'm trying to know as much as possible about nutrition so i'm very interested in weather or not this stuff is true...

Comments

• True or not, and I can't answer that, are you really going to get changed and do a 3 minute all out effort on the turbo before you have your dinner? No, of course you're not.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    and he told you all this in the sauna, did he..? Did he ask for your phone number as well..?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Well it is best to get a 4:1 ratio of carbs and protein to best replenish muscle glycogen and start repairing the damage done, so pure carbs is not a true answer from what I have read.

Not sure of the 10 mins then refuel with 5/6 recovery drinks will do anything, 10 mins isn't really enough to warrant any recovery drink IMO, let alone 5/6 of them, they do contain carbs as well, and as you will not have burnt off that many calories in 10 mins, surely most of it will end up as going on as fat.

Warming down and stretching is important for recovery.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Bhima I told you they were secret techniques not for sharing........and why aren't you answering your phone ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At the end of a long ride I take it steady as I dont have enough energy left as I am already compleatly exhausted :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:
    I was at the gym today

Bloody hell, you get really early to go to the gym...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • So basically before every meal this guy reckons you should jump on the trainer for 10 minutes? Sounds like a load of rubbish to me, and i've never heard any of the cyclists I know recommend this.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yes, I was a little skeptical myself, hence why I posted it up here. Thanks for the clarification.

Redddraggon - it's a 24hr gym.
  • Giant Phil
    Giant Phil Posts: 116
    I have heard of this method used before. Apparently doing at least 3 minutes of high intensity exercise the day before an event, shortly followed by high carb foods gives you super high glycogen levels the next day. This isn't the first time I've come across this, so there may be something in it.

I'm not sure about shagging ones self out after a ride. I would have thought this would lead to fatigue very quickly, much more so than if you spent the last 10 mins doing a cool down.

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    What about the muscle damage - I thought (probably mistakenly) that the idea of doing the last 15 minutes or so easy were to allow the heart rate and hence blood flow to return to normal, avoiding pooling of blood in the legs and allowing some of the damaged muscle fibres to be cleaned out. If that is the case then the plan suggested by the sauna perv might be counter productive.

On the other hand I could be talking b#####ks.
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    So that's why they always sprint at the end of a tour stage...!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    HIT (High Intensity Training by Ellington Darden) has been known in the strength training world for quite a while now.

What the bloke in the sauna might have been referring to is technically known as "training to failure".

It must be said that people new to HIT might find "training to failure" somewhat vague. It takes, IME, around 6-8 weeks for someone to appreciate what it means.

It is something that by its very nature I would certainly *not* recommend nor attempt when cycling.

I practice HIT myself (since '97) at my local gym, as it gives very good results for athletes looking to improve performance of mixed aerobic/anaerobic activities, such as cycling and skiing.

Back in the 90's the material on HIT (and Superslow) used to be freely available (see www.cyberpump.com) but that has changed recently, as more and more non-technical publications (fitness magazines) and fitness centres have been adopting its core principles.
  • Giant Phil wrote:
    I have heard of this method used before. Apparently doing at least 3 minutes of high intensity exercise the day before an event, shortly followed by high carb foods gives you super high glycogen levels the next day. This isn't the first time I've come across this, so there may be something in it.

That sounds a bit more realistic.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jaeger wrote:

Heh heh, nice one!
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jaeger wrote:

Heh heh, nice one!

I liked it too