Derby to Little Eaton Cycle Path..do you use it?

speedy641
speedy641 Posts: 89
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
If you were the person today, approx 5.30, Weds, double panniers heading towards Little Eaton, here's some advice.......

It is customary to ride on the left
It is polite to move over 'slightly' to the left on narrow sections of cyclepath (as this is), in particular if you are a 'wide load', ie 2 panniers
If an oncoming cyclist signals he is staying on the left you might like to take notice and stay on your left!

And lastly when you have very nearly forced said oncoming cyclist into motorised traffic you might like to STOP AND APOLOGISE PRICK!

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    before anyone makes the mistaken connection: not me! I go the OTHER way... and I only have one pannier :wink:

Speedy - is this the bit after Sir Frank Whittle going to the A38, the dual carriageway bit?

If it was, then that was bleeding insanely stupid!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • speedy641
    Kieran - yes thats the bit.

We all make mistakes, but this blighter didn't even shout a sorry, let alone stop!

I was inches from going off the path into traffic. I think I've seen this person before, so I will be having words if/when I encounter him again.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You mean here: http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 1016949106

and you were inbound to Derby on the shared footpath / cyclepath on the right.

I've got goosebumps thinking what could've happened.... all the cars stupidly heavily accelerate down there to the A38 roundabout behind the camera shot... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    That's supposed to be a two-way cyclepath and footpath? :shock: :shock:

I know exactly what the A38 is live a round Derby. Thank God I live in London where the traffic along my commute rarely exceeds 20mph.
  • speedy641
    ......yes it is a very narrow path anyway..not helped by lunatics not employing the sense they were born with, such as this twat this evening

I'm still naive enough to be shocked when cyclists act badly to other cyclists, we get enough of it from the psychos in cars!
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    It's the most hopeless excuse for of bike path I've seen. I'm sure it was fine as a footpath when it was built but it's too narrow to be shared use. The surface is horrible too. When a cyclist is coming the other way you only have a few inches of clearance to the bike on one side and the 60mph traffic on the other.

Now it's light in the evenings I take a more scenic route home over the hills to avoid it.

PS. It wasn't me either.
  • steve77uk
    steve77uk Posts: 36
    Blimey,

I was quite surprised to see a thread about my route! I do see quite a few more people on this route now the weather is getting better...

I go along the road instead of using this bit in the 40 bit next to the garden centre and Severn Trent Water, it is not very smooth at all on that cycle route and on my FCR it is very bumpy and hurts my wrists...

I have one pannier so that rules me out as had to read it twice! I was coming from Ford Lane over the bridge bearing left towards Little Eaton when oncoming someone was on his right and my left and didn't appear to be going to his left so I hand gestured I would go on the right.... and at the very last minute he moved in my way. Either way I did apologise just to keep the peace...

Anyway... wasn't me when I get stuck I usually grind to a halt hehe...