Shop screwed up, back to square 1 - HELP!

weepiglet
weepiglet Posts: 75
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Well, I had decided on the Trek 1.9 but now the LBS tells me that they can't get them and have to wait at least 3 weeks for them. The guy also did the dirty and said that the quote I got for £1000 (from another sales guy) was way too low and they couldn't do it for that. I said that I have cash and will pay now but he still said no so I walked out :cry:

I now need to find another bike but the problem is that being in Northern Ireland (Belfast) we hardly have any shops with stock and I want my bike today. I also looked at a Spesh Allez Elite and a Giant Defy 1 but they don't have my size and it too will be 3 weeks but it isn't spec'd as well as the Trek (Ultegra vs 105) so I'm in a quandry what to do..... :?

Suggestions please....wait, pay more or what? :roll:

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    If you know the size and spec of bike you want, then buy it online and save a few quid into the bargain.

LBS are only worth supporting if they are any good, yours don't seem like they are.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Trek don't allow retailers to do online discounts, if buying online, look at some of last year's models for a deal. In a lot of cases the only major difference is the colour.
  • weepiglet
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Trek don't allow retailers to do online discounts, if buying online, look at some of last year's models for a deal. In a lot of cases the only major difference is the colour.

Best sites NapoleonD? Been looking at Evans and wiggle but not sure where else would do last years models.

When do 2010 models come out as I would consider waiting if it was June or something but if it's not until September...no chance!!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why would you wait until June for the 2010 models but not 3 weeks for a current one? Chances are the 2010s will just be more cost for less value like 2009-2008.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • weepiglet
    Rolf F wrote:
    Why would you wait until June for the 2010 models but not 3 weeks for a current one? Chances are the 2010s will just be more cost for less value like 2009-2008.

Fair point Rolf....might as well try and get a deal now before the equipment goes back another step for teh same price.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    weepiglet wrote:
    Fair point Rolf....might as well try and get a deal now before the equipment goes back another step for teh same price.

Mind you, I patiently waited 13 weeks and for the summer to end before my P7 was delivered! Patience is a good trait but you can overdo it. 3 weeks though will be gone in no time!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't expect to see 2010 bikes until September / October - and expect price increases because this year's models were bought at last year's exchange rates. 3 weeks is a reasonable wait, but I'm not sure about your LBS giving you a price they can't commit to.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    The Trek 1.9 is a penny short of £1150 at Evans. Considering they are doing 10% discount with the code SUMMER10 at the mo, that takes you very close to the round K that your no-good LBS siad they couldn't do.
  • weepiglet
    Cheers Gav, didn't think of that. Just a bit nervous buying something this expensive over t'internet as I can't see it and if something is wrong then there is no support!
    Will look into it though, thanks.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I bought my Bianchi from Wheelies.co. uk and to be honest it arrived it not the best state - bar tape not finished well, different wheels and tyres and front mech not set up at all. To be honest though I didn't mind the idea of setting it up myself, just the fact I shouldn't have needed to. I complained to Wheelies and they offered to cover the cost of a LBS setting it up.
    Talk to Evans over the phone first maybe, but if you're set on the size etc, then t'internet is as good a place to buy as any LBS, especially if it is from a big chain where if all else fails, you can actually take it back to a shop.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The Trek 1.9 doesn't seem, IMO, that good value against some of the Wiggle/Ribble stuff.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • weepiglet
    Interesting! What are you thinking?
    I thought it was good as it got a good write up in C+ this month and also it is full Ultegra which is surely pretty impressive for a bike this price!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    weepiglet wrote:
    I thought it was good as it got a good write up in C+ this month and also it is full Ultegra which is surely pretty impressive for a bike this price!

Don't get blinded by the groupset on a bike, the main consideration should be the frame. If you look at the Ribble,Planet X and Wiggle bikes you get a good quality carbon frame(thats if you want one) as well as reasonable groups. The Trek has a fair write up but its definatly a step down from some of the above. In the longer term you will be wearing out components and replacing them anyway so you can upgrade at that time.
  • bendertherobot
    weepiglet wrote:

Have a look, for example, at the Orbeas on Epic Cycles. Much better value.

TBH, if you're spending a grand I'd avoid the Trek, chuck a few quid more in and look at stuff like:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/wilier.htm

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/scott.html

The Cayo's on Wiggle and the bike builder on Ribble
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    weepiglet wrote:

Have a look, for example, at the Orbeas on Epic Cycles. Much better value.

TBH, if you're spending a grand I'd avoid the Trek, chuck a few quid more in and look at stuff like:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/wilier.htm

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/scott.html

The Cayo's on Wiggle and the bike builder on Ribble

Not to mention the Kiron Scandium at Wiggle (if that's how you spell it). Big names like Trek, Specialized and Giant barely ever seem to offer best value for money to me, you end up paying for the name. I bought a Focus Cayo Triple with 105 (end of 07, they were selling off 07 stock) for £700. it's a full carbon bike, I didn't want triple really, but I can live with it for that price. It arrived without problems and was perfectly set up for me, I haven't touched it since (apart from mending punctures, tightening the brakes etc). The Cayo has had some very good write ups from several mags.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • weepiglet
    LOL....are you a rep for Epic? :wink:

I know what you mean but £1000 is all I have as it's C2W scheme so want to utilise all of it without adding to it. I did look at the Focus and its write ups but I'm just dubious about internet and feel there's something safer about buying of a local person!

I would love a Scott and was offered a CR1 Team for £1300 but I just think that as a 'virgin roadie' I don't really need carbon and there's always 12 months down the line when I can get a better bike when the C2W scheme is renewed and put my own cash to it.....if I still have a job :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    weepiglet wrote:

I know what you mean but £1000 is all I have as it's C2W scheme so want to utilise all of it without adding to it. I did look at the Focus and its write ups but I'm just dubious about internet and feel there's something safer about buying of a local person!

I would love a Scott and was offered a CR1 Team for £1300 but I just think that as a 'virgin roadie' I don't really need carbon and there's always 12 months down the line when I can get a better bike when the C2W scheme is renewed and put my own cash to it.....if I still have a job :roll:

I heard someone say that the government is trying to clamp down on the "putting your own cash" into the C2W thing. Because in theory, C2W works on a lease back scheme - you lease/rent the bike from your employer who then sells it to you at 2nd hand price at the end of the scheme, if you put your own money in to push over the £1k limit, it makes the whole question of legal ownership very difficult to sort out in case of dispute if you were sacked or made redundant or whatever....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • weepiglet
    Interesting Headhunter, never heard of that! Just as well I'm tight and won't spend any of my own cash!! :lol:
  • bendertherobot
    weepiglet wrote:

No! Definitely not a rep but I almost bought an Orbea from there. Got lucky on a Lemond elsewhere.

That Orbea at £999 is great value.
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Don't start me on shops here in lovely Northern Ireland!!! I recently bought a Giant XTC 4. The guy swore to me that it was as cheap as it got and didn't even throw as much as a spare tube in. A week later it was £80 cheaper - then a fortnight later low and behold it was near £200 cheaper... I was gutted!

Ranted and raved in the shop as you can imagine but to no avail.

Do you know that Chain Reaction is close to Ballyclare?
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    you can but a Ribble carbon with centaur for your £1000 if your C2W is cyclescheme.
    they do however charge a £50 admin fee to cover the costs that cyclescheme charge.
    Seems fair enough, as my local bike shop could give me a better price for cash than a bike bought through cycle to work. The \ribble sportive gets a good write up in this month's Cycling Plus.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Anonymous
    Epic do seem to have soom very good deals, that Orbea looks like a good buy and they are reputedly a good company to deal with.
  • weepiglet
    The way I am hoping to do it is to get the LBS to invoice me for the cost of the bike which will be paid in full by my employer and I will then enter into a credit agreement with my employer for the amount they have paid.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Epic are indeed a joy to deal with, although I was shopping with my hard-earned plastic rather than a CTW voucher
  • bendertherobot
    keef66 wrote:
    Epic are indeed a joy to deal with, although I was shopping with my hard-earned plastic rather than a CTW voucher

They were excellent when I was trying to spend a CTW voucher. Only problem was my Lemond at the LBS had Ultegra.
  • Anonymous
    Blimey! Look at this - a Madone with Ultegra for 1200!! It's a size 54 from my LBS(who are excellent)

http://www.royles.biz/product/1675/Trek ... _47_C_2008
  • weepiglet
    Size 54 - You must be about 5' 6"?

Anyway, I Just bought a Trek 1.9 this afternoon. The LBS did it with SPD-SL's for £1000....mega deal if you ask me. Delivery 22nd April....WHOOP WHOOP!!

They were really helpful and kudos to Simon Walsh who suggested the LBS (J M Hanna in Lisburn). They have great discounts on Treks (09 models) at present and even the Madone 4.7 (or something) is £1400.
  • Anonymous
    Nice one!

I'm 6'2" and ride a much bigger bike than that!

It was just a long shot if it was your size, 1200 for a madone is pretty fine.

Glad you got sorted, hope you love riding it :)
  • weepiglet
    Thanks for everyones help.....hopefully I can now show it off on a ride here in N.Ireland soon. :lol:
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    weepiglet wrote:

I heard someone say that the government is trying to clamp down on the "putting your own cash" into the C2W thing. Because in theory, C2W works on a lease back scheme - you lease/rent the bike from your employer who then sells it to you at 2nd hand price at the end of the scheme, if you put your own money in to push over the £1k limit, it makes the whole question of legal ownership very difficult to sort out in case of dispute if you were sacked or made redundant or whatever....

Why would the government be concerned about the legalities of ownership. Surely that is a matter between the the employer and the employee.

Furthermore given that some bike shops will not even inform the employer that the employee has made a contribution and write the value fo the invoice to the employer down to £1000 then who is going to know?

It would be trying to police the unpolicable and I would doubt if this indeed something being seriously considered.