Buying Advice Please? Suggestions for my £1000 (max)

jmillen
jmillen Posts: 627
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Evening Ladies and Gents,

Firstly an apology for another "what one should I buy"...I appreciate it can be such an open ended question but there seems to be such a choice I wondered if you could provide me with some guidance (I've also had a look through the What Hardtail thread).

I'll be riding mainly corss country, few rides up on the moors and bridleways etc etc. No downhill racing. I like the idea of full sus, but doubt I'd use it to its potential so hardtail would probably be more than adequate? (unless of course there is a full sus with decent spec etc for my budget?

As with a lot of people, I'll be buying a bike through the bike scheme in work We have a maximum of £1000 and if necessary, that can be my maximum budget.

I've had a brief look and have come up with a couple of things I like the look of:

Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 09
Specialized FSR XC Comp (09) (full sus)
Cube Reaction HS33 (or similar)
Cube XMS (full sus)

I currently have a Carrera Fury (0 8), but as the bike scheme has come along, I'm wanting to upgrade. I dont need to, but the "money" is burning a hole in my pocket. Will I notice a big difference between the hardtails above and my current one? ( I believe the Fury is pretty well spec'd for the price) and its still in as new condition.

Any help, comments, recommendations etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks
James
:)

EDIT: Of course I will have to try out any of these bikes, at the moment my decisions are being based purely on the looks and specification of the bikes
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I tried the Cube AMS Comp and really wasn't a fan, so I don't think the XMS is going to be up to much personally.

Zero G in Bristol have a Specialized concept store and another store that stocks Cubes, so might be worth your while having a day out. Where in south devon are you?
  • How about a Giant Trance X? Bike are a very personal thing but these tend to get great reviews and are good value. Its worth a look at least.
  • jmillen
    Well I've just taken a trip to Halfords and had a look at the Boardman range. Which I have now added to the possibles list. My choice now with a £1000 budget is:

Boardman Pro 08 - Rock Shox Reba Race, SRAM X0/X9, juicy 7
    £849.99 (leaves money for a few bits and pieces)

Boardman Pro 09 - RockShox Reba Race, SRAM X0/X9, Elixir R
    £999.99

Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009 - RockShox Recon SLite, Deore Front, XT Rear, Juicy 4
    £879.99 (leaves money for a few bits and pieces)

Specialized FSRxc Comp 2009 - Rock Shox Tora 302 SL, Deore, Juicy 3
    £979.99

I've read reviews on the bikes but have not yet had the opportunity to ride them, although I can go and test ride the Boardmans any time. Any have any thoughts or opinions on why I should / shouldnt go for any of the above. Is £979.99 too "cheap" for a FS bike? Are the forks pretty similar between them? etc etc

Any thoughts much appreciated. The time is creeping up on me now and I dont want to be rushing around last minute to make a decision just before the bike scheme.

Thanks, :)
    James
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you need a full susser though? Not sure you do for the riding you suggest. A hardtail at this price will be several pounds lighter, and better specced to boot.

The Boardmans - nothing much comes close spec wise, they are incredible value and very well reviewed. I 'd certainly try them out.

Hoppers are good too, possibly a better frame, but hard to judge them. Certainly the parts aren't as good, but you may prefer the ride.
  • jmillen
    Thanks for the reply supersonic. I've been thinking the same thing since I posted to be honest so I've just cut that one off my list. Although I will be spending some time up on Dartmoor on some of the trails which can get very bumpy at times, I dont think they justify needing full sus.

If I can get a lighter, better spec'd HT for the money I have then I think thats the way I need to go.

I was a bit unsure of the all white '09 Pro to start with and much prefer the looks of the 08 in grey. Given my luck though, they probably won't have any left by the time the bike scheme starts :lol:

Is there going to be a noticeable difference between the Reba Race & SRAM X0/X9 of the Boardmans and the Recon SLite, Deore Front, XT Rear of the Specialized?
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Reba is the better for 2009 - superior damper and that stiffer 20mm bolt through.

Sram X0 and X9 is very expensive stuff, though I prefer Shimano personally.
  • Sumner
    Sumner Posts: 10
    James...I'd be interested to hear how your search ended up as I too am looking for a sub-£1,000 hardtail for weekend XC riding. Given Supersonic's advice on Reba vs Recon forks, did you consider the Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009? Its within budget and has the Reba SLs rather than Recon SLites.
  • jmillen
    I'm still waiting for the bike scheme to kick off properly so its going to be a good couple of weeks before I can buy yet.

Its definitely going to be a Boardman. I'm just trying to decide between the Pro 08 or the Pro 09. From all the bikes I've looked at, it seems they just cant be beaten for value for money.

I went down to Halfords yesterday and had a ride on an 09 Pro...frame seemed slightly too small (it was a medium and I'm about 6ft so I'm thinking I need a Large, any thoughts anyone?).

The 08 Pro is £849.99 but very difficult to get hold of. 09 Pro being £999.99 and easier due to it obviously being this years model. I like the colour of the 08 and it would also give me £150 to spend on goodies. Didnt like the white of the 09 to start with but its grown on me alot but no money for goodies :(

Decision decisions....would value anyones opinion :?:

Thanks in advance :lol:
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Hi, I had a look at the pro 08 yesterday and also think the grey is better than the white. The finishing kit on the 08 is also better than the 09. I think for £850 its the best spec bike you can get. I am very tempted myself as i have been looking for a new mtb for a while. I just cant decide to either go for a well know brand bike for around £800 with average to low spec or get the pro 08. Another thing about the pro is the grips and saddle are very cheap and let the bike down.
  • jmillen
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have you seen the 09 Team? If so, is the 08 pro the same colour? Seemed a bit darker from some of the pics I've seen but I'm not sure.

What parts of the finishing kit are better on the 08 than the 09 ? Must confess I hadn't noticed, but I've been looking at so many bikes recently they're all starting to look the same.

I was thinking a similar thing with the branded bike thing (i.e Specialized etc) but I've made the decision to the let the spec do the talking, and I just can't argue with the value for money.
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Hi

The finishing kit on the 08 is all Ritchey wcs and on the 09 its the middle range Ritchey Pro. Another thing to consider is that the brakes on the 09 are Avid Elixir R carbon which are little higher spec than the Juicy 7 on the 08. As for colour i think the pro is a lighter grey than the team but i cant be sure.

Bellow is a link to the 08 and 09 range.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/2008/

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/index.html
  • bodisgod
    bodisgod Posts: 42
    I recently bought the 09 Pro. The spec over last year is slightly different, better in some ways, lesser in others. The main points are improved I feel. I like the white, it's metallic in the sun, white is the inn colour for pretty much everything theses days it seems! The spec is excellent for the money. I've always used Shimano in the past, however the Sram gearing and brakes are great, the X9/X0 combination works brilliantly, really positive shifting.

I've fitted some ODI LS 'Peaty' lock on grips and some MG1 Mag pedals in white to finish it off (practical NOT)! The seat as mentioned previously is actually rather good, comfortable and has Ti rails for weight saving.

Test one, you won't be dissapointed. :D
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    I have an 08 Boardman Pro and cant fault it all, i decided on this as spec wise i got the most for my cash. the reviews of this bike were very good with MBUK giving it the top marks for COmp and Pro model in their respective price ranges.

Best thing for you to do though is narrow it down to 2 or 3 bikes and then go ride them. Dont be shy of asking the folks at your LBS (be that independant or a chain) plenty of questions, after all its your cash.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    I just noticed the Boardman Pro 08 comes with spd's and the 09 comes with flat pedals, something to bear in mind based on what you want to ride on and costs.

I think if i had the cash i would go for the newer version simply because its newer - but that said if i could save £150 for very few differences (and none that make a huge difference) i would go for the 08 and spend the rest on some other kit (shoes/ shorts/ sunglasses/ beer/ strip club?).

Too many choices out there - buying a new bike can certainly be a stressful experience! :lol:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • bodisgod
    bodisgod Posts: 42
    The platforms are crap on the 09 Pro. Hence I bought the MG1's. I think you'll struggle to get an 08 Boardman of any kind now. I don't know if it's across the board or just my company but we got a 10% off voucher on Halfords C2W scheme, so I had £100 to spend on anything in store.
  • jmillen
    Thanks for the replies :)

Its definitely going to be a Pro...I've seen it a couple more times in the last few days. I know they have an 08 Pro in Westonsupermare, but by the time my voucher comes through, it'll probably be gone so i think the 09 it'll be. Although I won't have any left for accessories, to be honest that was just a bonus as I have most things already, would have just stocked up on spares of everything :lol:
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    the £1000 limit can be a bit of a bugger. I've got my current bike on the cycle to work scheme which ends in a few months. The next bike I'm getting will be over the £1000 budget.

if you can spare the cash try and convince the shop to go over the budget and pay the rest in cash.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • zerolight
    zerolight Posts: 155
    What about a Merlin Malt 4 or a Merlin Rock Lobster Team Tig SL?
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc