Carrera Subway 8

olney_ben
olney_ben Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in The workshop
I'm asking this question on behalf of my dad. He has got a carrera subway 8 bike with 18" frame but says the handlebars are too low. Is it possible to buy a replacement 'stem' or buy a new set of riser bars with more incline than the current ones?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, you can do both, have a look at chainreactioncycles for starters. I am guessing the stem will be 1 1/8 steerer and standard (not oversized) bars.
  • hi thanks for your reply. do you know which option would be the cheapest? not sure about the stem size but the current bars have a small rise.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Probably a stem is cheapest - note that you can get them in different lengths as well as rises, so there are two dimensions to play with. Or you can get an adjustable stem.

Stems cost upwards of £10 to anything up to £100 or more. As you look for less common sizes your choice of brands and prices may be reduced. I have bought stems off ebay for not much money, or put a wanted ad in the classifieds here.

First thing to do is toi find out what length and rise of stem you have now and what you want instead.
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Is the stem on the Subway 8 not adjustable like the Subway 1 ? If it is, you could always rotate it back a bit to gain some height. If taken too far you would lose reach but it depends on how much height you want to gain.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    My 07 version of this had an adjustable stem. Probably a good first option.

Tiny