Help for tour of france

surfingdream
surfingdream Posts: 98
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys i am totally knew to touring, i have only rode XC bikes but have used cleats etc. I am thinking about cycling from plymouth through france and riding down the coast to santander. I will be wild camping most of the way with the occasional hostel for days off and a nice shower. Could someone recomend me a good touring bike for under 500 quid which would be good enough 2 carry sufficent load through france. I will probably be carying front and rear pannier bags. Or would i be able to use my GT aggressor xc bike which is a pretty standard xc bike with v brakes and standard forks on and simply attact pannier racks and bar ends? I am very comfortable riding on this bike so would make sense to use this bike in some aspects?

Cheers guys

Dan
If mum would let me,id sleep with my bike :)

Comments

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using a XC bike for touring. Replace the knobblies with slicks and fit a rack and maybe mudguards and it's good to go.

'Proper' touring bikes will be faster and comfier on a long day but if you're not looking to break any distance records I'd stick with the MTB.
  • plenty of other people tour on mountain bikes and if you are in the pyrenees the gears will be just what you want, better than buying a cheap tourer after making the additions suggested above.