Motivation - HELP PLEASE

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
When I come by bike I usually get the train part of the way in the morning and then cycle all the way home in the evening. This adds up to a quick 5 miles in the morning and 20 miles in the evening which is just fine and dandy. The problem is that to get on the train I need to leave home an hour earlier than I would if I come in on the dreaded tube(due to stupid rules about bikes not being allowed on the Chiltern Line in the rush hour) and I am struggling to get out of bed. This morning and yesterday morning I got up got washed all ready to take the bike and then just got back into bed for another hour!

I need some help to get me out of bed and on my bike in the mornings, any ideas folks?

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Get a dog.....Up at 6am for walkies, on bike by 7:30, in office with coffee for 8am.....easier than kids and cheaper.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Would it be possible to take the bike less often each week, but cycle in as well as home? It would still probably increase your amount of riding, but you should be able to leave later than the bike/train combination.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    This is all the motivation I'd need:

13a_20_Tube-delay_1_51_415x275.jpg

IMGP2544.JPG

MTFU and get out of bed!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Thing is, Jash, some commutes on PT are fine. Mine is, when I take it - 15 minutes on the overground, where I get a seat, then 10 minutes on the Victoria Line - I don't always get a seat but it's always on time and very seldom do I end up in anyone's armpit. And I get to read (a key part of my job).
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    Thing is, Jash, some commutes on PT are fine. Mine is, when I take it - 15 minutes on the overground, where I get a seat, then 10 minutes on the Victoria Line - I don't always get a seat but it's always on time and very seldom do I end up in anyone's armpit. And I get to read (a key part of my job).

Not sure what your point is though Blondie. If I had my own personal door to door tube service I'd still take the bike whenever possible. I reckon you're in the minority with that trip though, and you leave pretty late don't you? My PT route involves heading through Victoria - which is always a nightmare, then changing @ Green Park for the Jubilee Eastbound, also a 'mare. That or getting the Northern Line from Stockwell, but that's even worse. All in all it's 45 mins on PT or 10 mins on the bike...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Get a better bike, dones't sound like you enjoy being on the current one enough, is it a folder?

Failing that, stop being so bladdy lazy or just concede you are!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    If I took PT, it'd be either quick and full (piccadilly line followed by district) or slow and seated (central line followed by circle or district).

Even the 'quick' option is slower than taking the bike, which is why I take it over PT. Also, when I say quick and full, I do mean FULL. Ewwww. Every time I go on that train I get a cold.

However, to the OP, I think whyamihere's suggestion is a good one - how would cycling all the way both ways impact your sleep?!
  • Harry B
    Thanks guys but:
    1. I have a dog who is usually asleep in his bed next to me
    2. I have a choice of decent road bike or single speed Langster both of which I love
    3. Going both ways has been considered but I think it would be a bit too dangerous in the mornings. The evenings are bad enough but at least the idiots in the cars are on their way home and generally less stressed than in the morning.

When I take the bike the journeys both way are great and it works well. I get into work an hour earlier feeling awake and refreshed and I get a decent training ride on the way home. It's just that I kind of like my bed and find myself looking for an excuse to take PT :(

I'm not overly keen on my job and I think that is having an effect but given the current economic climate I am stuck were I am for the time being.

I think I need to make the use of the bike on my commute more of a habit so that it becomes automatic and the default position rather than the hidious central and jubilee line rip from hell!
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Get a dog.....Up at 6am for walkies, on bike by 7:30, in office with coffee for 8am.....easier than kids and cheaper.

Yep, echoing 'get a dog' here. Up at 5.50am for walkies, and, too, on bike at 7.30am.

Y'see, dogs don't have a 'snooze' button.

Edit: doh, have seen that the OP has a hound. Ah well...
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Sounds well corny but I keep something that inspires me in with my socks (a photo of my Grandfather and an article about a fell runner who lost a leg and then ran a marathon). Any time I'm in need of instant motivation I just have a read.

I guess you've already considered this, but what about cycling part of the way and then leaving your bike at a station during the day? That way you don't have to worry about taking it on a train and you can leave later.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Go to bed earlier? An hour before is better than an hour after and all that?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Harry B wrote:
    [...] When I take the bike the journeys both way are great and it works well. I get into work an hour earlier feeling awake and refreshed and I get a decent training ride on the way home [...] I'm not overly keen on my job and I think that is having an effect but given the current economic climate I am stuck were I am for the time being [...]
    I can understand how spending more time in bed might be tempting especially when you are not inspired by the job. Is there any reward or treat you could give yourself in that extra hour in the morning, on those occasions you cycle in (if you work flexi, the treat may not have to happen in that particular hour - maybe at lunchtime or after an earlier finish)? That treat might inspire you, rather than the job.
  • Harry B
    Well I did it this morning :D

It's probably going to be p1ssing down when I leave this evening :(

Oh well at least I'll get a few more miles in my legs :)
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    Having 4 kids who all get up between 5 and 6am every day and then proceed to argue and whinge with each other is all the motivation i need to get out on the bike in the morning. :lol:
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford