My upgraded Pitch Comp

Zaskar20
Zaskar20 Posts: 557
edited April 2009 in Your mountain bikes
3414874039_cd1f3d2151.jpg

Went for my first ride on it yesterday at the Sallow Vallets, Forest of Dean. I was really impressed. It soaked up everything that was thrown at it - and i didn't come off!

I purchased it with a Halford's cycle to work voucher and upgraded with Fox RP23, Fox Float 32 140QR15 amongst other items.

What do you Pitch luvvers reckon?

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Very nice, a touch of pink to match the rocker elsewhere on the frame would set it of though. :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Zaskar20
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Very nice, a touch of pink to match the rocker elsewhere on the frame would set it of though. :lol:

Yeah, although I did try to find a pink bucket before I took the pic!
  • Whytepeak
    Are those Stroker brakes?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Zaskar20
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Are those Stroker brakes?

Yeah they're standard.
    Worked really well yesterday, but I've heard they can really scream when wet.
  • Whytepeak
    Mine screamed when dry!, a bit of muc-off disc brake cleaner sorted that out.

Did you ride the pikes much before you put the fox forks on, if so, how do they compare?
  • Zaskar20
    No, the pikes came off brand new.

I read a few reviews that said the bike was only scratching the surface with the standard f+r shocks, so I decided to go with the Foxes - also I've tried similar on mates bikes.

One has an Enduro that rides like a dream, so I've tried to come up with something similar.
  • fishcake
    fishcake Posts: 107
    Very nice bike :D , like the blue hubs, what wheels are they? do you know what weight it is?
    You can never have too many bikes!
  • Zaskar20
    fishcake wrote:
    Very nice bike :D , like the blue hubs, what wheels are they? do you know what weight it is?

Thanks fishcake.
    Hope Pro II hubs, Sun Ringle Equalizer 27 rims, DT Swiss double butted black spokes - built by a guy who used to build Rob Warner's wheels when he rode for Team Giant.
    I have actually weighed the bike and it comes in at just over 29lbs.

I've had a good look at your pitch - what are the avids like? I'm probably going to upgrade to Hope sometime in the future.
  • Whytepeak
    what bars are you using - they look sweet as i'm currently thinking up a white build.?
  • Zaskar20
    Whytepeak wrote:
    what bars are you using - they look sweet as i'm currently thinking up a white build.?

Hi Whytepeak,
    The bars are Truvativ Holzfeller 700mm from Leisure Lakes. I also purchased the Truvative AKA stem from them too. The beauty of the stem is that it comes in a range of rises and lengths to suit your set up..The bars are a little heavier at 290g than fishcake's Ritchey bars (240g), but I think they're wider. Also you get a choice of sweepback and rise - so you pays your money and takes your choice, as they say.

Truvativ also relatively cheap, compared to other brands.

Hope that helps.
  • Whytepeak
    Thanks, may try for something lighter though, they look ace though as a bit of red would look well with my build. :? thinking to do. :)
  • Zaskar20
    I'm trying to source some white aheadset spacers - anyone got any ideas? Whytepeak?
  • fishcake
    fishcake Posts: 107
    I've had a good look at your pitch - what are the avids like? I'm probably going to upgrade to Hope sometime in the future.

I 've had them on my Pitch for over a year and they have been fantastic, but then just last weekend I got the dreaded turkey warble on both front and back :( , so have put the Strokers back on for now. TBH I always thought the Strokers where ok and only put the Avids on because I already had them. Got my eye on some Stroker Trail in white 8)
    You can never have too many bikes!
  • Zaskar20
    Got my eye on some Stroker Trail in white 8)

Sounds great. Although I don't know much about them tbh. How will they improve on the Rydes?
  • Whytepeak
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    Got my eye on some Stroker Trail in white 8)

Sounds great. Although I don't know much about them tbh. How will they improve on the Rydes?

They have reach adjust, are a better brake, and are white.
  • Zaskar20
    and are white.

Apart from the obvious, of course Whytepeak :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    I'm trying to source some white aheadset spacers - anyone got any ideas? Whytepeak?

Can't find whites anywhere, but you could get blue hope ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=669
  • Zaskar20
    Ahhhh!!!!!!!! Now If Hope only did powdercoat white - It would solve all my problems!

and probably a few of yours too whytepeak :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Meh, there are 3 colours on my build, white ( the frame ), light grey ( the decals + stroker brakes ), and a touch of red from the RS forks - which needs evening out.

As things stand everything works and I'm in no hurry to go throwing money away, and the carbon headset spacers I've got go quite well with the grey. Would like some more white parts though - :?
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Looks good.

I do wonder why you'd change the Pikes for basically the same kind of fork before you;d even really ridden the bike.
  • Whytepeak
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Looks good.

I do wonder why you'd change the Pikes for basically the same kind of fork before you;d even really ridden the bike.

The Foxs would have been a lot lighter than the coil pikes, and if all he is doing is trail riding, they make more sense.
  • Zaskar20
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Looks good.

Thanks

The Foxes are arguably the best forks on the market, they're airsrung, lighter, have much more adjustability (in terms of preload + compression + rebound) and they can be locked out. Also I'm a bit of a lardass at nearly 15st and I think the coilsprung pikes are set up for about 12st riders.

Oh, and I nearly forgot, the Foxes have white crowns (black on the pikes) as well as anodised blue adjusters :D
  • Zaskar20
    Found some white headset spacers.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260387973506&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:31
    As soon as they are delivered i'll fit and post some pics.
  • Zaskar20
    edited April 2009
    3454846615_8805403cc2.jpg
    3454847343_4bf3c0fcc8.jpg

The headset spacers fitted.

2nd ride in the Forest of Dean yesterday. Conditions were much muddier this week with some sections, where forestry vehicles are operating, up to a foot in the stuff. The High Roller tyres struggled in these conditions, but were still great on lighter mud, slippy roots and everything else,
    The rest of the bike performed brilliantly. The Specialized back end really plush with the Fox RP23 being the high point - didn't need to use propedal even on the really hard climbs and boy does it climb.
    Most of the fun came on the descents where the frame and shocks were awesome.

Thinking of upgrading the brakes to Hope Tech M4s? The standard Stroker Rydes were good yesterday, but I think they can be improved upon - anyone agree or disagree?
    Any suggestions would be most welcome.
  • the blue on that bike is lush!

love it mate :)

RE brakes.. the white stroker trail would look nice on there. good brakes too :)
  • Zaskar20
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    the blue on that bike is lush!

love it mate :)

RE brakes.. the white stroker trail would look nice on there. good brakes too :)

I know where your coming from with the white. But with brakes, I'm looking for performance first. That's why i'm thinking Hope, besides if I go with Hope I would probably get the floating rotors with blue spiders to match the Hope hubs. :D

Does anyone know if coloured resevoir caps and lever arms are available for the Hope Tech levers?
  • Zaskar20
    Thought I would share my trusty, old Zaskar with you. Built it myself years ago. Now relegated to a hack bike since I got the Pitch - MUCH MORE FUN :D
    3456121344_751e01a72c.jpg
    Just renewed the grips to Peaty lock-ons.
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Aww mate! Between the first photo and fitting the headset spacers you've gone and got it all muddy. What were you thinking...... :lol: