pannier compatible child seat?? advice??

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi

The day that I have to deliver my son to nursery on my way to work is drawing near, and my wife has forbidden me to get a trailer, so I need a child seat...

From what i've seen, most rear mount child seats will not allow me to use my Ortlieb roller panniers at the same time, as they foul the rack.

Does anyone know of any decent seats that are compatible with conventional racks/panniers??

I've seen the Hamax plus, which has special panniers available, but don't want to go that route as I like the flexibility of the Ortliebs.

I've also seen the Hamax discovery which mounts between the rider and the handlebars, but for some reason don't particularly like that idea either as the cycling position on my cannondale is quite aggressive with a long reach... hence it might just not be possible to ride the bike with a child seat in the way!

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Comments

• NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I don't know the definite answer to this but my co-pilot limo bike seat came with Blackburn panier racks. They seem pretty decent and - now that my two boys have outgrown their seat - are now being used for some cheap luggage on my work commute.

You'll love it once you get it figured it!
  • shefbiker
    Thanks NFMC.

Just for clarity, I want to use the seat and panniers at the same time...
  • shefbiker
    surely someone has encountered and solved this issue??
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Not too sure. You may be best getting one of those child seats that attach to your seat post. I've never liked the look of them but there you go.

I ended up using a backpack when I had one of my boys on the back.

You may be best off posting on the family and kids section. Doesn't get that much 'traffic' but someone may know.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I think there will be always some sort of pannier/seat/child interaction going on. TheBobike Maxi + without the footrests might do it, as might the Bobike Junior. The Bobike Mini would be the answer but I think your nipper will be too big for it too soon. Have you got provision for front panniers?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • shefbiker
    thanks for that. I'll have a look at them. I guess if I can find one with removable footrests then it may be ok. He could just put his feet on the panniers!

sadly no provision for front panniers.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Have a chat with these people next week. They are the UK importers and very good people with a small one of their own
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed