How many people are extending their commute due to the sun?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Or (like me) cycling both directions when normally you only go one?

I have a target of 5 commutes a week on average, this week I've cycled both directions 3 days (can't do tomorrow for all sorts of reasons) so I got to 6 and have never felt better when doing so.

I've surprised myself but I've only done so because of this glorious sunshine.

I know we mention 'fair weather cyclists' and all that, but aren't we really indulging in the SAME appreciation by extending / adding to our commute?

I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this week... I set myself a target of regular commutes by April and I'm on target.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Due to the sun I've found that when returning from coaching in the evenings I've been going out night riding in the dark!

But then I'm peverse like that...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Well I've increased my bike commute from 1 or 2 days a week depending on how lazy I'm feeling to 4 or 5 days a week (haven't consistently rode in since before christmas!). Not specifically due to weather but a combination of things. Getting light earlier in the mornings certainly helps me wake up earlier and be more alert by the time it actually comes to leave. I've recently moved house and it now takes 20 minutes to get to work by bike or 45+ by bus so that certainly swings things in favour of the bike. Once I've got the 5 days a week down consistently I might think about extending my route.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Sun???! What sun???

I actually had to swap bikes this morning, because my favoured steed doesn't have lights. Lights! We're in BST...

*stares despondently into the murk outside the window*
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've added an extra 15 miles or so to my evening commute twice this week, which gets me home just about at sun down. I'm really feeling it today though, it's amazing how just a few miles over what your used to has such a big impact. It's time to mtfu and do the same tonight, it's my aim to increase my evening commute to 40-45 miles 3 days a week this summer.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    +1

What sun??? :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    I had sun until they changed the clocks!
    Now back to dark mornings again :(

Tux
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No sun this morning - just fog. I normally extend it anyway, winter or summer - nice thing about summer is tan lines and very little clothing - bad thing is hay fever.....:-(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My commuted are only 3 miles each way, but in the morning I feel like crap and it's ery uncomfortable in jeans, the quicker I get to college the better.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    My commute is extending to 21 miles each way for a new job. With over 200 miles a week commuting I'll doubt I'll even go out at the weekend!!
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    My commute is extended most days, whatever the weather. In fact I feel it is cut short by the fact that I have to stop in the middle ... to go to work :evil:

My car commute is 11miles or so each way, my shortest bike comute is just over 9miles each way (saved for snowy days) and my general winter commute is 18 to work and 12ish on the way back.

My route in this morning was 21 (in the fog), and my planned route home will be 16ish - 'cos it's Friday and it is also now sunny. :D
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've increase my route home by about 0.5 - 1 mile. It incorporates a beautiful straight Clapham Park road, leading into Clapham highstreet.

As it gets further into summer I'm going to increase my route even more so.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    I extended my commute home by 4 miles tonight, not 'cos the weather, still waiting for the sun here in Wales, am trying to get my new bike set up more comfortably - not used to road bike geometry :? Anyway, think I've cracked it now :D
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    I plan to extend it on a couple days from a 13 mile round trip to a 26 mile round trip which includes a few up down bits along the way unlike my normal commute which is pretty flat all the way.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    My shortest route is 3.8 miles.

Trying to do 14 miles on the way in and just under 8 on the way home which has a fairly steep climb, do this 4/5 times a week. Managed to slip in a 23 miler home last week which was great.

I think the lighter evenings and dry weather are spurring us on, a bit of sun would be nice too :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Been doing 24-28 miles a day rather than 15 recently....
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    well ill be increasing when my new bike arrives, nothing to do with the weather :D