Silly long user names

toontra
toontra Posts: 1,160
Is there any way of limiting the length of member's user names? The reason I ask is that when you get a silly long user name in the "author" column it causes it to expand, and the "topic" column to shrink so the words return several times over, making the subject very difficult to read.

For example, a new member SamHilldriftslikenoother - any page with that in the "author" column is illegible, on my browser at any rate.

How about a limit of, say, 15 characters. That doesn't seem unreasonable and allows plenty of scope for people to to express themselves.

BTW, thanks for sorting out the server issues - MUCH better :D

a serious case of small cogs

Comments

• Don't have a problem with a long username myself, lol
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Think it might be time for a new monitor / browser / resolution setting personally. It's not an issue I've had with any of the PCs I've accessed BR on.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • toontra
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Think it might be time for a new monitor / browser / resolution setting personally. It's not an issue I've had with any of the PCs I've accessed BR on.

Laptop, therefore new monitor not possible.
    Tried 4 browsers - same issue with all
    Resolution setting is automatic

BTW I'm on a MacBook if that makes any difference (shouldn't). This is surely a problem with the website page properties which is allowing the "author" column to expand indefinitely at the expense of the "topic" column.

• toontra
    edited April 2009
    This is what I'm talking about:

brscreenshotjpg.th.jpg

You can see that the silly long user name in the middle of the page causes the "author" column to expand and the subject column to shrink to less than half the size.

• i'm on macbook, no problems. looked at your piccy, looks fine to me.
    Cotic Soul rider.