Revolution Track?

Daniel75
Daniel75 Posts: 27
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi,

What do you think about this bike: Revolution Track
00010808.jpg

Details:

Frame: 7005-series aluminium traditional (not compact) frame geometry.
Forks: Hi tensile steel aero.
Wheels: Strongman Doublewall polished rims.
Formula polished alloy rear flip-flop hub - nutted.
Formula polished alloy front hub - QR.
32 x stainless steel spokes.

Tyres: Innova 700x25.
Transmission: Truvativ Touro 170mm cranks with 48t chainring.
Cartridge sealed bottom bracket.
Lida 16t fixed cog and lockring one side 16t freewheel on the other side.
KMC Z-410 1/8-inch chain .
Brakes: Tektro 310A forged alloy dual pivot brakes. Tektro R200 levers.
Handlebars: Kalloy 42cm-wide alloy drop bars on frame size-specific Kalloy polished Aheadstem - 90mm stem on 55cm frame; 100mm stem on 59cm frame.
Saddle: Revolution saddle on Kalloy micro adjust post.
Weight: 10.7kg / 23.6lb.
Sizes: 55 or 59cm.
Colour: Gloss Midnight .

Price - £350

Any thoughts? I'm tempted by single speed bike I would like to see your views.

Thank you

Dan

Comments

• Christ, how big is that that drop from saddle to the hoods?!!! :shock:

With recent price hikes on bikes, you would struggle to find a better deal for a new steed. If the SS does not work out for you, you always have the option of converting it to a hub geared bike.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Daniel75
    Christ, how big is that that drop from saddle to the hoods?!!! :shock:

Looks erm.. weird:-) But I will take it for a ride after work - if they have it in shop:-) Any thoughts about specs?

D
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    EBC's bikes are generally good value. OTOH, for a commuter this doesn't have 'guards and the 48x16 (~80") gear is high.

It's not as cheap as last year's Revolution Courier Single, but I think it's better specced, with the above provisos... I'd want raceblades, at least, and a 18 or19T sprocket...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Daniel75
    Thanks! I wonder... maybe Fuji Track '08 is better then? It is cheaper (£299) and lighter. Decisions, decisions, decisions :D
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I've inspected one of these in the shop in Edinburgh and it looks ok, if a little cheap - none of the components are exactly what you'd call 'nice' though they are at least recognisable brands for the most part. It's probably a perfectly good ride (and one of the better FG/SS deals out there with the horrendous 2009 pricing on most bikes) though it's not especially light, perhaps thanks to that hi-ten fork.

By the way, the Courier Single is also back at £280 which looks to be a very good deal:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012370

Matthew
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Just to echo what WGW said, it looks likes a nice bike but that gearing is rather high.
    I've seen a few of the Fuji SS bikes around and they look rather nice.
    The Courier Single looks like a nice little machine, I think my only complaints on that one would be the flat bars but I imagine changing them for a set of bullhorns wouldn't be to difficult, the spec also says it has internal cable routing which could save on need to replace those brake cables and make it even more weather proof I suppose :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The Fuji track doesn't have brakes as standard, as I understand things. So when comparing prices, don't forget to budget for said.

I too, was interested in the Revolution Track, but that weight seems high for an Alu frame.

Also, doesn't seem to have mudguard eyes - although are those rack bosses on the seat stays?
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Very heavy bike at 10.7 kg.

My home brew job weighs in at 6.7kg.....Although that is an old racing frame and top spec components....

I would be inclined to save my cash for something else - Bianchi Pista or Fuji.
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    True... it is relatively heavy- and the S1ngle more so at 11.7Kg.

This is the very bottom end of the "decent bike" market, though. The S1ngle would make a viable commuting bike for under 300 quid... which probably ought to go into the "Minimum spend for a new commuting bike" thread... While neither of these is anything special, they both have proper components and no money wasted on cheap suspension, naff plastic shifters etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Agree, it looks like a reasonable bike at that price - as you say the best thing would be to take it out for a spin and see what you think. As for the 16x48, that might be an issue with the weight of the bike, unless you're not tackling any big hills and/or like pushing a big gear. If you're going to commute on it in the winter you should think about mud guards as well.
  • wgwarburton
    ... it's not especially light, perhaps thanks to that hi-ten fork.

I don't think it's the fork, in particular, just the basic quality of the frameset. An Al frameset isn't automatically light, any more than a steel one is- you need to engineer it properly for that.
    It's possible to make a heavy frame out of just about anything if you don't make it right- I expect we'll see very cheap, low quality Carbon-Fibre frames someday soon (maybe they're already out there?). Half the price of a proper job and no lighter than Al or Cro-Mo... There are too many mugs for the opportunity to be passed up.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Christ, how big is that that drop from saddle to the hoods?!!! :shock:
    Edinburgh seem to love photographing their bikes like that - it is mad.
    With recent price hikes on bikes, you would struggle to find a better deal for a new steed. If the SS does not work out for you, you always have the option of converting it to a hub geared bike.
    Good idea, but I suspect the rear end is spaced at 120OLN, so your choices are extremely limited for hub gears (I think a Sturmey 3 spd is the best you'll get in there).
  • daveneu
    daveneu Posts: 1
    And 15% Off for Easter weekend ... reduces the price to about £300. I am very tempted :-)