Graeme Obree

BigSpecs
BigSpecs Posts: 309
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Just to say, I met him last week. He gave a lecture here in Glasgow for the RIverside Museum Appeal and he is a truly nice bloke. He has a great story to tell and it is obviously an unfinished story at that. There are definitely still a few miles left in his legs yet! If you would like to read more about the man and the talk, please read my blog below. You can even sponsor me while you are at it if you like... :wink:

Cheers,

Col.

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks for that. I've seen various quotes from him over the last few years that suggests he's considering having another crack at the hour. If he's built a bike which complies with the rules for the athlete's hour, it's almost inconceivable that he won't have a pop at it!
  • I was fortunate to meet Graeme at Herne Hill good friday meet a few years ago. The man is totally 8), I often feel we don't appreciate what a living legend he is. Nobody included him in their fantasy all time GB team which is a travesty.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    great to read he is thinking of having another go. I think Moser broke his own previous record in 1994 at age 44, so it isn't out with the realms of possibility. I rewatched battle of the bikes recently and his story is one of the very best in the entire history of sport
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    The most amazing thing about Obree is that he did it all on his own. No team, no soigneur, no professional coach, no doctor, no bike sponsorships. And of course, fighting all the ridiculous rule changes from the UCI that kept making his battle harder. Amazing.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'd love to see him have another crack at the hour. I think it's a travesty that Boardman's epic ride was beaten by Sosenka who went on to test positive. Unfortunately it's still his name in the record books.

Be great if Obree can bring it back to the UK, and more importantly to a rider I can have some faith in.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    BigSpecs wrote:
    Just to say, I met him last week. He gave a lecture here in Glasgow for the RIverside Museum Appeal and he is a truly nice bloke. He has a great story to tell and it is obviously an unfinished story at that. There are definitely still a few miles left in his legs yet! If you would like to read more about the man and the talk, please read my blog below. You can even sponsor me while you are at it if you like... :wink:

Cheers,

Col.

Had the pleasure of cycling a few miles alongside him three years back on Braveheart ride, seemed an easy going kind of guy and had time to chat with most cyclists he passed which included me. That day he was riding with Brian Smith and Sean Kelly who also had time to speak with backmarkers like myself :-)
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Yep, got a lot of respect for that guy. So innovative - thinking outside the box etc. I remember meeting him after the National 25 in 1996 (yes, I am that old). He was just standing around chatting to people - very unassuming and down-to-earth. I think he put about 10 minutes into me that day on the course. :oops: There's real talent, and then there's making up the numbers. :lol:
  • Drat, I meant to go to that talk. Saw the advert in the Metro, and then my goldfish-like memory went onto something else....
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Anyone know of any more news? Last I heard was that he was looking at having a crack at the hour late 2009?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He sacked it because the bike he had worked on, albeit great on the road, was useless on the track.
  • Coming down from the high of regaining a world record in middle age would probably not be a nice experience for someone prone to periods of depression.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    NapoleonD wrote:
    He sacked it because the bike he had worked on, albeit great on the road, was useless on the track.
    And his psychologist advised against it
    so many cols,so little time!
  • I met him in Glasgow a few weeks ago. Frightfully nice chap!

13052_176975988694_548863694_2824540_7466134_n.jpg