Hmmm.. am I changing gear correctly..

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
..or is my bike in need of a service? :?

Gears keep slipping and its most annoying. I have shimano tiagra triple with 9 speed 12-25 rear sprocket cassette. Left handlebar is set up for front derailer high to low (left to right), and right handlebar is set high to low again (left to right).I've been using it as left block - left, middle block to middle and right to right on the little "windows" if you get me.

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It may be just a sticky cable, that's what I've got at the moment and it's most annoying. However given the winter we've just had it could be a worn chain and cassette.

A good service is always advisable when the weather breaks in my experience, it sets you up nicely for the decent weather and light evenings :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    Cables tend to stretch over time, and the tension of the cable is what keeps the derailleur in the correct position. There are usually a couple of cable tensions for fine tuning gear changes to avoid jumping out of gear etc one on the downtube and one at the rear mech. The problem manifests itself similarly to cables sticking in the casings.

Also, depending on the age of your rear hub, the freebody pawl spings could be going which stops them engaging the cassette correctly, hence slippage.

A good LBS woulb be able to sort this for you if you aren't happy fiddling with things yourself.

:wink:
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • downfader
    Cheers for that. I'll prolly put it in anyway. I'm thinking of upgrading the chain, chainset and rear sprocket tom something more classy and better quality.

The rear cassette has shimano HG on it. Never heard of that tbh. I quite fancy something long lasting and robust... Dura Ace or Ultegra 9 speed? Are they as good as people say I wonder.. I wondered if mine was Tiagra but can find no mention of it on bike or on 'web.

Cant see any wear on the cassette actually now I double and triple checked. :lol: Chainring has worn right down in places. :shock: Its by FSA it seems..
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    The HG refers to hyperglide, which is a shimano term to reference it chains ans cassettes.

Dura Ace and Ultegra aren't any longer lasting than the cheaper alternatives in my experience, and I've tried most of them. The more expensive alternatives tend to be a fair bit lighter though, and the shifting is far better. I've always found 105 to be about the best compromise for commuting. Better chains do last a bit longer up to a point, but again I've found the HG53 chain offers a good compromise of cost/performance/durability
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • downfader
    Hmm my chain is an HG53 I think. Not too worried about weight, durability and good shifting is more important. :)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I've got a Tiagra set up (double compact). Recently fitted an Ultegra chain and it seems smoother than my previous HG73 - maybe it's just in my mind but I think it's worth an extra £5 or so anyway.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009