c2c

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Anybody done this on a sport flat bar thing with skinny tyres? (my bike)

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/aboutc2c.htm

Not strictly commuting, but I am a commuter.

Technically I shall be leaving home, go cycling for three days, then go home then ride to work, so it's just one long commute.

Comments

• RedHobbit
    RedHobbit Posts: 24
    I did the Whitehaven to Sunderland route in 2007. There were a few people in our group using flat bars, although I was on drops. You shouldn't have any trouble on that bike in my opinion. There were parts where I wished I was on a more rugged frame. And other parts where some of use broke away from the route, and the rest of the group to stretch our legs on a faster surface.

Have fun on Hartside, and the climb above Stanhope, and look out for the crosswinds on the exposed high ground above Consett.

Have fun.
  • TomS
    TomS Posts: 15
    I did this last year (Sunderland to Workington) on a specialized crossroads (flat bars, 28mm tyres) and it was fine, but we did avoid most of the off road parts by following on road alternatives.

Only met one other group going east to west. Perhaps they hadn't read this advice either (I can confirm the bit about the wind is true):

"The route is best ridden from West to East to take advantage of the prevailing winds (supposedly!) from the West as well as having the gradients in your favour, i.e. short uphills and long downhills"

Also there is a c2c forum which might be of interest

http://c2c.freeforums.org/

Tom
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    You can do most things on almost any type of bike, just some do certain things better than others.

I'll be doing the C2C this summer on a fully laddened cross bike with my wife on her mtb and my 9 and 11 yrs olds on their flat-bar Islabikes. We are just going to take it easy and spread it over 5 days. This was my 11yr olds idea !

Should be fun :D
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...my 15 year old son and I are riding it in May...hope I can keep up with him...we are on hardtails...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...