Changes to the roads in yokel town

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
The council are getting their spades out on Monday and making changes to the junctions of Jamaica Street/Stokes Croft & City Road/Stokes Croft near the centre of Bristol and right outside the residence of Redvee. Basically you won't be able to turn right out of Jamaica Street and go into Bristol and turn left off Stokes Croft into City Road. With the work at these 2 junctions how many cyclists who don't frequent Bike Radar will still RLJ? and those that do RLJ at these junctions and frequent Bike Radar, shame on you.

Download/view the PDF of the changes here.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• redvee
    They are now putting new tarmac down for the RLJers who use the two junctions being altered, hopefully they will finish earlier tonight than they did last night.They were still playing with their machines at 1am this morning :x
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Yep, I occasionally use that junction in the car to get to work and was dismayed the other day when I was popping to Thali's for Tiffin (nice, cheap and eco friendly curry - well eco friendly until you start digesting it anyway) to discover that big "no right turn" sign, never go through it that way on my bike though.

Have you spotted the colliding cyclists on the junction between city road and stokes croft on google streetview yet?

here
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm more annoyed about the possible changes to Waterside Drive up by Aztec West into Coniston Rd - there's talk of changing the current situation into a bus-only road, with a 2m-wide path down one side for cyclists and pedestrians. Could get interesting...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • redvee
    Can't see nothing on either of the local council's websites regarding Coniston Road and Waterside Drive.
  • sarajoy
    No I know, a chap at my work dug through a load of planning documents about it... They're only just doing a site inspection this Friday morning so I guess we'll see what that tells them... Might make sure I cycle through about that time (09:55 apparently)!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Will we be able to actually get into Brizzle centre ever again! Must admit that I rarely use Gloces road, more of a Park St man myself.....except going up it, I hate going up it.....
  • sarajoy
    I still need to break Park St. One day, one day... Wonder how it compares to the hill from the north side of the Gloucester Rd coming up to the Filton roundabout...
  • sarajoy wrote:
    I still need to break Park St. One day, one day... Wonder how it compares to the hill from the north side of the Gloucester Rd coming up to the Filton roundabout...

Worse! Nine Tree Hill is my bug bear though. I go up that b*stard every morning and it never gets any easier...
  • sarajoy
    Oh, and the email that went round the cyclist mailing list at work:
    For anyone interested...

Having been reassured last month by South Gloucestershire Council's
    Highways Department that the scheme to run buses down Waterside Drive
    was dead, it appears that they were lying.

Members of the Development Control Committee will visit Waterside Drive
    at 09:55 on 3rd April, to view the site, in the context of a planning
    application to "divert the footpath". In reality, the "footpath
    diversion" means removing the current route, and shoehorning all
    pedestrians, cyclists, schoolchildren, etc. into a 2m-wide path. The
    existing "road" route will no longer be available for cyclists, as it
    will be blocked by automatic barriers at either end, and there will
    not be sufficient room to pass a bus coming in the opposite direction,
    which will no doubt bully you out of the way.

I am not able to attend the site visit as I will be out of the country,
    so is anyone else able to go and represent ST cyclists?

If you wish to view the planning application, its reference number is
    PT08/1740/FDI at www.southglos.gov.uk/planning - click the "Search planning applications" link.
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    Park st is a doddle - Constitution hill, now that gets your heart going!
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd far rather go up Park Street than down it, that's an accident waiting to happen.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    I used to go down Park St on my skateboard, but I was young a more bouncy then, don't think I'd try it now.

I remember once going down Park st. on my bike and trying to do a quick 180 at the bottom on the bridge over Frog Street, it resulted in a 10m slide along the road as my tyres refused to grip, I stayed sat on the saddle and just wore a fair bit of mettle off the pedals and bar ends - no other damage other than a bruised ego. ahhh good times...
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)