North Wales CTC or Deeside Olympic

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
I'm looking for a club group to join when I'm home from the university in the Summer. Does anybody have any experience of either Deeside Olympic or North Wales CTC?

I'm mainly worried about the speed that the groups go at - CTC too slow, and the club too fast (considering the hilly terrain). At the moment on larger club runs I can generally keep within the group when they string out up climbs.

I suppose at least if I went with the club and got dropped I'd be able to find my way home....
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Chubby on a Compact is a member of Deeside Olympic and when I was out with him last he hadn't a bad word to say about them. They do a ride on Sundays leaving from Tescos in Broughton at 9:30. You can always nip into Graham Weighs for more information. I'm thinking about joining myself or maybe Chester Road Club.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • redddraggon
    Leaving from Broughton is ideal for me, it's just whether or not they'd suit me ride-wise like the Wheelers do when I'm in Manchester.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Reddragon

Depends what you want to get out of your cycling. If you want a nice leisurely ride with a few cafe stops, lovely scenary, plenty of hills then the CTC will be the one. You will see parts of the country you did not know existed. They meet every other Sunday 10 am in Summerfield carpark Mold, but don't expect to be home before 3 - 4 pm. In the summer they do some 90 milers so you will be looking at being out all day.

Deeside cycling club meet every Sunday 9.30am by Tesco's in Broughton. They are all different age groups and all with different abilities. None of the climbs are too steep and nobody gets left behind. If you get dropped on a climb they just ease up until you catch up. The routes vary, majority of the times they are not to hilly and the distance vary between 60 - 70 miles. Normally get home about 1.30pm. Average speed is around the 18 mph. They also do a chain gang session on a Tuesday night, where they really ramp up the pace. Not done one of these yet so can't really tell you much about it. Why not pop along. One other thing they don't do cafe stops so if you do decide to come along make sure you bring enough food and drink.
  • redddraggon
    I'll give it ago on Sunday then.

How many people they normally get out on a Sunday?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Normally about 15 to 20 turn up. It is quite relaxed and they always start off nice and steady.
  • redddraggon
    I think I'm spending too much time around Willhub and starting to worry too much.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • No worries. You should be fine especially as your used to going out with a club.
  • Cannot speak for the CTC group but I know that Deeside have a good reputation and are friendly. It is broad church club able to cater for differing interests and abilities
  • redddraggon
    Does any body know if they are riding on Sunday?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr