Food on arrival?

sarajoy
sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
OK, no, I haven't got much to do today!

So what do you lot scoff on arriving at work, maybe in the place of breakfast?

Is there much available (aside from banananas) that requires no refrigeration or heating, and would do me good to eat after I get in, in the morning?
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    You can get porridge you just add water to

That's if you have a kettle, and know how to use it of course ;)

http://www.teamgrasshopper.co.uk/product

Don't forget http://www.bananguard.co.uk
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    sarajoy wrote:
    OK, no, I haven't got much to do today!

So what do you lot scoff on arriving at work, maybe in the place of breakfast?

Is there much available (aside from banananas) that requires no refrigeration or heating, and would do me good to eat after I get in, in the morning?

Um, why not just eat breakfast :) I have muesli in the office (milk, tea, coffee, sugar etc. all provided) and it's the perfect cyclist's food. M&S luxury fruit and nut, nom.
  • biondino
    Hmm, this assumes you take milk with you if you have no fridge (though what kind of workplace has no fridge! It's political correctness gone mad!!1!)
  • sarajoy
    Hrm. I suppose... That seems like a lot of faff somehow but I guess there's nothing stopping me from using the milk in the coffee room for cereal...

EDIT: Nope no fridge for staff use! Though it's been suggested many a time...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    snooks wrote:
    You can get porridge you just add water to

That's if you have a kettle, and know how to use it of course ;)
    You'd need to be trained. It's polical correctness gone mad, stew.

Banana when I get to work and maybe a couple of the chocolate chip brioche that I get from waitrose. Yum.
    I also have a big container of SiS REGO that I'm working my way through...

Cereal with milk is good, too. Low GI carbs plus some protein from the milk (I wouldn't worry too much about the lactic acid worry-mongers on here ;) )
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I used to just drink a homemade smoothie. Now I pour said smoothie over low sugar/fat granola and eat that. Yummy!

Smoothie (enough for 3 days)
    1 bag sainsbury's frozen summer fruits
    half litre pomegranate juice
    2 bananas
    low fat yog

Blend, enjoy.
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:
    snooks wrote:

+1 but I only use it after rides of more than 1 hour.

Actually quite like the chocolate flavour one, although the powder seems to get airborne rather easily when I'm mixing it so I breathe a fair amount in as well!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    A banana and orange as soon as I get in, then Weetabix with a milk/whey protein shake poured over them and a good drizzle of honey, all washed down with a mug of green tea, sweatened with honey.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

+1 but I only use it after rides of more than 1 hour.

Actually quite like the chocolate flavour one, although the powder seems to get airborne rather easily when I'm mixing it so I breathe a fair amount in as well!
    Know what you mean. Wouldn't normally use it after the commmute but it's a 1.4kg tub and I never quite got around to carting it home... Just got some zipvit recovery drink from their BOGOF offer, which will be going home.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    Sara, one thing, all these tarts above who are reglycogising their glutes or electrolysing their duodenum are just big showoffs. Obviously you need food and drink after a ride in when you haven't had breakfast, but nothing out of the ordinary. Anything with a chemical formula in its name or which has been banned in more than one sporting discipline should be off the agenda.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Coffee!!! And more coffee!!!!

Sometimes with a little bit of flapjack.......
  • sarajoy
    Don't worry biondino, I can easily pick out the tarts ;)

Does make me look a bit daft that I started wondering about electrolyte sachets when a bit more thought would have reminded me that I'm crap at breakfasting!

I think I associate headaches with hangovers so it confuses me a little when water doesn't work... :D
  • il_principe
    Old blondie may be sniffy about electrolytes, and they are OTT for a commute, but on a long ride, especially in the summer, they are a godsend.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    a cuppa does me when i get in

....no brekkie when i get up..usually nothing,nowt, zilch..although on the odd occasion peanut butter on toast with a cuppa if i have time (rare)

.then sprint 9 miles to work and have a cuppa..peanut butter sandwich,apple, oat bar at 1pm with another cuppa.....a few drinks of water over the day...sprint home (cant seem to ride slowly) ..then go for a 5 mile run if the back is up to it

have an evening meal (anything goes)

ps my 'sprint' is actually me just going as fast as i can....which isnt that fast :wink:
  • Big fat bacon and egg butty with a splash of HP....all a man needs to make him feel human again! 8)
    Giant TCX 1
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    I don't drink milk so have porridge oats soaked in apple juice. I make it up in a lock tupperware tub in the morning and it is has all soaked in by the time I get to work. Very cheap and easy.

However, I think I might try Jash's smoothy recipe, sounds nice and could be made with a soy yog.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    PinkPedal wrote:
    ......soaked in apple juice.

Thatchers or Blackthorn :lol:?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Thatchers or Blackthorn ?

That would certainly liven up the day in the office!
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    sarajoy wrote:

Does make me look a bit daft that I started wondering about electrolyte sachets when a bit more thought would have reminded me that I'm crap at breakfasting!

I think I associate headaches with hangovers so it confuses me a little when water doesn't work... :D

I started out like that aswell , but now after my Commute to work (11.5 miles) , all i have is a Cuppa & a Yoghurt or a couple of Banana's does the Trick until Lunch .
  • sarajoy
    Furbes wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

I started out like that aswell , but now after my Commute to work (11.5 miles) , all i have is a Cuppa & a Yoghurt or a couple of Banana's does the Trick until Lunch .
    Ah good, nice to know someone else has been through it! I guess my body's just complaining a little bit, it's not used to going so far, so fast, so frequently on its own steam :D
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    sarajoy wrote:
    Furbes wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Ah good, nice to know someone else has been through it! I guess my body's just complaining a little bit, it's not used to going so far, so fast, so frequently on its own steam :D

A Body is like a Woman ... It will ALWAYS find something to Complain about :wink:
    BTW , I still don't breakfast , if it's really cold out i might just have a Cuppa before i leave the House . :D
  • steve77uk
    steve77uk Posts: 36
    I have got myself into a routine where I have 2 x shredded wheat, milk and a little sugar before and a coffee with a sugar when I get to work...

I also keep a stash of carrot sticks and grapes to last me until lunch..
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I make a frozen fruit,yoghurt,milk,whey powder smoothie to take in a flask with me, I can then have sips of it all day.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Coffee & nicotine gum
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I am on a bit of a weight loss thing at the moment.

So a protien shake (no carbs in it, just whey protien) and a hot chocolate (that is for the taste as I'm sure it is artificial sweeteners).
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    No breakfast, just a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, ride to work (4 miles) then have a pack of crisps... to replenish my salt levels? I always used to have scrambled eggs (microwave) on toast when I got in but can't be bothered anymore.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010