Rehydration

sarajoy
sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
With the added exercise and hence more sweating (I am sadly a Sweaty Betty) - I'm finding myself lumbered with a headache much more often. Drinking more water doesn't seem to help much.

I also do carry water on the 8 miles to work and do have a good solid gulp or few from my bottle when stopped at traffic lights.

Am I missing something else? Salt? Sugar? Is it worth getting some of those funny electrolyte rehydration sachets?
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    You need salts - get some fancy rehydrate drink like the SIS stuff or failing that something like gatorade or blue drink (powerade) from the papershop that should sort you out quickly enough.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sarajoy
    Would that be why I like so much salt on my chips?! :D

Wondering what the cheapest option would be, seeing as it looks like I'll need this every day I ride... How about mixing my own?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sara - I find ordinary squash but lots of it to be up to the job for normal commuting purposes.

Have you posted a picture of your younger sister in place of your previous pic? :)
  • prawny
    Yeah there are recipies on the internet mostly including ribena or orange juice worth a try, don't know why I didn't think of that! :roll:

Read up on water intoxication, when i started trying to lose weight i drank loads of water and some the the symptoms were worryingly familiar.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Its not just drinking on the bike, though, you should be drinking steadily all day. Everyone has their own requirements, but you shouldn't be getting headaches regularly just because you're exercsing. I would try increasing the amount of fluids you take on before exercising before thinking about sports drinks.
  • sarajoy
    Oh, you flatter me :P

Nah just had a haircut (much the same as every other cut I get, tbh) and decided to go around updating my various forum/app avatars.

OK maybe will shove a bottle of squash into my desk drawer at work, then. Headaches are just annoying!!
  • sarajoy
    True Christophe3967, I don't drink much first-thing. That's definitely something worth giving a go.

I usually also drink a pint or two of just water over the work day, just sipping at it now and then. I daresay the two coffees also drunk per day don't really help, though. Sadly the water machine here is useless! A trickle! The coffee machine outputs espresso faster than that thing.
  • Powerade is Buy 1 get 1 free @ Tesco at the moment :D:D . Might not be the nicest drink in the world, but seems to do the trick for me. Not as sickly sweet as that Lucozade Sport rubbish either.
  • prawny
    I just found these.

http://www.diet-coaching.com/hmsport.html

Gonna give them a whirl tomorrow
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sara - I find ordinary squash but lots of it to be up to the job for normal commuting purposes.

Have you posted a picture of your younger sister in place of your previous pic? :)

Sarajoy you are really quite the looker! :oops:
  • prawny
    edited March 2009
    Powerade is Buy 1 get 1 free @ Tesco at the moment :D:D . Might not be the nicest drink in the world, but seems to do the trick for me. Not as sickly sweet as that Lucozade Sport rubbish either.

Blue drink is amazing you take that back!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sarajoy
    biondino wrote:

Only because if I'm going to be limited to 80 by 80 pixels, I'm going to make sure they're all flattering ones ;)

Imagine it hot-faced, sweaty, panting, legs whirring...
    ...oh wait, don't, that might just be too much...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I seriously doubt sports drinks are necessary for an 8 mile commute. I would follow the previous advice by drinking more water through the day and before you set off. If you set off 1st thing in the morning perhaps you should have something small to eat before you head out on the commute, something with a low GI index like porridge oats, or dried fruit. Not too much but enough to put a little energy into your system
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    It may not be all down to the commute tbh. When I started doing this (20 odd miles each way) I was carrying two litres of sports drink, but fairly quickly dropped to 1 litre and then a smaller bottle, and it became just squash or plain water, until last week when I forgot to put it on the bike and didn't really miss it. When the weather turns warmer it may change though.

Personally I'd up the caffiene intake, and try for a glass or two of red mid afternoon instead of doing a conference call / meeting. You might still get the headaches but it'll be more fun.
  • sarajoy
    Right, a pint of water and a crumpet for breakfast on Thurs then (resting tomorrow) :)

Usually I hoik back a load of milk in the morning, but that can probably wait until I get home again!
  • CiB
    sarajoy wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Only because if I'm going to be limited to 80 by 80 pixels, I'm going to make sure they're all flattering ones ;)

Imagine it hot-faced, sweaty, panting, legs whirring...
    ...oh wait, don't, that might just be too much...

I've imagined that now. Thanks for the image... 8)
  • Headhuunter
    sarajoy wrote:
    Right, a pint of water and a crumpet for breakfast on Thurs then (resting tomorrow) :)

Usually I hoik back a load of milk in the morning, but that can probably wait until I get home again!

Don't drink too much milk, it turns to lactic acid in your muscles and increases the burn! Aso a "load" of milk means that yuor body will divert blood to the stomach for digestion, rather than your muscles.

I would stick to half a pint of water before you set off (then drink a little through the ride as you feel it's necessary), some kind of whole grain cereal, dried or fresh fruit, you know that sort of thing. I guess a crumpet would do the trick too if you can't bear the healthy stuff!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    50-70g sugar
    1Ltr warm water
    Pinch of salt
    200ml sugar free squash of your choice
    Mix - cool - drink - home made, isotonic drink DONE!

Also, I believe coffee IS an acceptable form of liquid intake (as long as you don't overdo it, I only have one a day), I keep a 1.5ltr bottle of water on my desk and keep topping it up from time to time as frequent trips to the water dispenser are sometimes enough to stop you drinking as much as you should (that said, frequent trips to the toilet..........?). I reckon I get through a good 3ltrs on a normal working day.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • sarajoy
    3 litres just while at work? Wow. Isn't 5 litres and upwards approaching water toxicity or have I pulled that number out my rear?

I know, Crumpets aren't healthy. But from one who rarely ever has breakfast at all, it's a start! Might be convinced to get some cereal in - Weetabix is OK if eaten before it gets squashy with a drizzling of honey, mm...

...point taken about milk! Cheers!

Might get some more satsumamamamas and banananananas in. I like them.
  • Headhuunter
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    50-70g sugar
    1Ltr warm water
    Pinch of salt
    200ml sugar free squash of your choice
    Mix - cool - drink - home made, isotonic drink DONE!

Also, I believe coffee IS an acceptable form of liquid intake (as long as you don't overdo it, I only have one a day), I keep a 1.5ltr bottle of water on my desk and keep topping it up from time to time as frequent trips to the water dispenser are sometimes enough to stop you drinking as much as you should (that said, frequent trips to the toilet..........?). I reckon I get through a good 3ltrs on a normal working day.

3 litres?! You're probably in danger of diluting your body's natural electrolyte levels. That can cause headaches in itself!
  • Headhuunter
    sarajoy wrote:
    3 litres just while at work? Wow. Isn't 5 litres and upwards approaching water toxicity or have I pulled that number out my rear?

I know, Crumpets aren't healthy. But from one who rarely ever has breakfast at all, it's a start! Might be convinced to get some cereal in - Weetabix is OK if eaten before it gets squashy with a drizzling of honey, mm...

...point taken about milk! Cheers!

Might get some more satsumamamamas and banananananas in. I like them.

I agree on the water, too much water isn't good either. Weetabix with a mix of fruit and honey would work really well I should think...
  • robmanic1
    sarajoy wrote:

Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 liter per hour of fluid (double for sweaty burds), normal working day = 8 hours (honest).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    I drink an absolute ton of apple & blackcurrant squash every day. I get through a bottle of Robinson's every 2 days (which probably isn't a great habit). It's excellent at keeping you going though, and it's nice for riding.
    On a reasonable day at home I'd say I'm drinking upwards of 10-15 pints of squash/tea/cider. But that's what seems right for me, I wouldn't go recommending that to everyone else!

I also quite like that orange Powerade. Doesn't taste bad, seems to work. :D
    Also, tea and coffee are diuretics, but you still gain more liquids from a cup than you lose due to the increased...uh...toileting.

QI said so! :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    I think it's true that tea and coffee offers a net intake of fluids, althuogh they are both diuretic.

And yes, healthy kidneys will excrete large amounts of water if necessary, but they will also pass essential minerals and salts which you will be end up deficient in if you drink huge quantities of liquid.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Just a quick thought...are you eating when you get to work?

You should be eating something after your commute as well :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • robmanic1
    I think it's true that tea and coffee offers a net intake of fluids, althuogh they are both diuretic.

And yes, healthy kidneys will excrete large amounts of water if necessary, but they will also pass essential minerals and salts which you will be end up deficient in if you drink huge quantities of liquid.

But what constitutes huge quantities for one person would be different from another, most folk on here, being active, would probably get away with drinking more fluids than the folk who drive to work daily, for example.

I take your point though and do take electrolyte fluids when exercising (I'm rumoured to be a little on the sweaty side myself).

I read somewhere (or possibly made it up), that when your wee turns "straw coloured" your body has, pretty much, received enough fluid.
    Speaking of which, back in a minute......

• sarajoy
    snooks wrote:

Well, aye, disorganised as I am, I don't always managed to have some food ready to eat once I arrive. Which is indeed a bit rubbish.

Banananananas. Must buy some tonight.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    sarajoy wrote:

Then you'll need one of these ;)

http://www.bananaguard.co.uk/
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Headhuunter
    Robmanic1 wrote:

But what constitutes huge quantities for one person would be different from another, most folk on here, being active, would probably get away with drinking more fluids than the folk who drive to work daily, for example.

I take your point though and do take electrolyte fluids when exercising (I'm rumoured to be a little on the sweaty side myself).

I read somewhere (or possibly made it up), that when your wee turns "straw coloured" your body has, pretty much, received enough fluid.
    Speaking of which, back in a minute......

It's not surprising that you're sweaty with amount of liquid you're consuming! You're body is trying to excrete excess liquid. But I take your point that everyone is different but personally I wouldn't go much over 3 litres for the whole day really, unless you're doing 50+ mile rides per day or something.

As far as I'm aware, your wee will get clearer the more liquid you drink. If you don't drink much, your wee will be very yellowy/green. Colouration in wee is minerals, salts, toxins etc leaving the body. If your wee goes clear it means that these are very diluted.
  • Headhuunter
    sarajoy wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Well, aye, disorganised as I am, I don't always managed to have some food ready to eat once I arrive. Which is indeed a bit rubbish.

That could be the root of your headaches then, lack of food. An 8 mile commute will drain your reserves and you need to top up! Especially in the morning. Sounds like you just need to eat properly rather than consume Powerade and other over priced energy drinks....