New To This

archer4
archer4 Posts: 86
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, al
I am new to MTB ive been riding a BMX all my life, Im 16 year old.
And need help with the basic of MTB any advise tips i would be greatful i ant no much at all about the bike its self like making adjustments etc. I ride a Coyote Demon my first MTB.
Here the link to my bike and what its has:
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/15025/Coyote_Demon_Bike_2008

Comments

• henryfuller
    henryfuller Posts: 360
    what exaclty is it you want to know though?
    Henry
  • What riding do you do?

Street
    Dirt
    XC
    ?
  • henryfuller
    henryfuller Posts: 360
    is that to archer4?

i ride/race xc personally. but im guessing your asking archer4!
    Henry
  • archer4
    I ride dirt and i want to know like the basic about it all like the parts of bikes how do you adjust the folks etc.
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    right for those forks you only have one type of adjustment called "preload" if by dirt riding you will want a hard fork to pump into the transition, the preload however only affects where the bike sits when your static on the bike it essentially tunes how far into the travel your fork will begin to move at, for dirt jumping as your a beginner i would recommend twisting the preload towards the minus sign to achieve soft landings.
    but be ready to true those wheels a lot not sure if they will be tough enough for a beginner jumper!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a good place to start is http://www.parktool.com/repair/ as it lists everything about bike repair.

another place folk like to recommend is sheldon brown but i think he is websters.
  • archer4
    ok thanks for the help
  • archer4
    another question for you again, is the any like MTB dirt tournaments located in Essex?
  • blakef111
    what kind of dirt? dirt jump slalom or 4X ?
  • archer4
    slalom
  • blakef111
    probably not, slalom used to be big but it has lost the limelight to 4X and slopestyle events, you could check brittishcycling website but best bet would be look around your home town for bikers (there's usually one or two hiding beneath a log or a rock or something) and ask them
  • archer4
    haha. Could you put all the different types of MTB in a list and put a describion beside it please.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Nicked from Wiki, so if owt's wrong don't blame me ;)

* Downhill (DH) is, in the most general sense, riding mountain bikes downhill. The rider usually travels to the point of descent by other means than cycling, such as a ski lift or automobile, as the weight of the downhill mountain bike often precludes any serious climbing. While cross country riding inevitably has a downhill component, Downhill (or DH for short) usually refers to racing-oriented downhill riding. Downhill-specific bikes are universally equipped with front and rear suspension, large disc brakes, and use heavier frame tubing than other mountain bikes. Because of their extremely steep terrain (often located in summer at ski resorts), downhill courses are one of the most extreme and dangerous venues for mountain biking. They include large jumps (up to and including 12 meters (40 feet)), drops of 3+ meters (10+ feet), and are generally rough and steep top to bottom. To negotiate these obstacles at race speed, racers must possess a unique combination of total body strength, aerobic and anaerobic fitness, and mental control. Minimum body protection in a true downhill setting is knee pads and a full face helmet with goggles, although riders and racers commonly sport full body suits to protect themselves. Downhill bikes now weigh around 16-20 kilos (35-45 lbs), while professional downhill mountain bikes can weigh as little as 15 kilos (33 lbs), fully equipped with custom carbon fibre parts, air suspension, tubeless tires and more. Downhill frames get anywhere from 170-250 millimeters (7 to 10 inches) of travel and are usually mounted with an 200 millimeter (8 inch) travel dual-crown fork.

* All-mountain (AM) bike category typically provides 125-180 millimeters (5-7 inches) of rear and front suspension travel and stronger components then XC models, while still providing overall weight suitable for climbing and descending on a variety of terrain.

* Four Cross/Dual Slalom (4X) is sport in which riders compete either on separate tracks, as in Dual Slalom; or on a short slalom track, as in 4X. Most bikes used are light hard-tails, although the last World Cup was actually won on a full suspension bike. The tracks on which the racers race on have dirt jumps, berms, and gaps. Professionals in gravity mountain biking tend to concentrate either on downhill mountain biking or 4X/dual slalom as each is very different. However, some riders, such as Cedric Gracia, still do 4X and DH, although that is becoming rarer as 4X takes on its own identity.

* Freeride / Big Hit / Hucking. Freeride, as the name suggests is a 'do anything' discipline that encompasses everything from downhill racing (see above) without the clock to jumping, riding 'North Shore' style (elevated trails made of interconnecting bridges and logs), and generally riding trails and/or stunts that require more skill and aggressive techniques than XC. Freeride bikes are generally heavier and more amply suspended than their XC counterparts, but usually retain much of their climbing ability. It is up to the rider to build his or her bike to lean more toward a preferred level of aggressiveness. "Slopestyle" type riding is an increasingly popular genre that combines big-air, stunt-ridden freeride with BMX style tricks. Slopestyle courses are usually constructed at already established mountain bike parks and include jumps, large drops, quarter-pipes, and other wooden obstacles. There are always multiple lines through a course and riders compete for judges' points by choosing lines that highlight their particular skills. A "typical" freeride bike is hard to define, but 13-18 kilos (30-40) lbs with 150-250 millimeters (6-10 inches) of suspension front and rear.

* Dirt Jumping (DJ) is one of the names given to the practice of riding bikes over shaped mounds of dirt or soil and becoming airborne. The idea is that after riding over the 'take off' the rider will become momentarily airborne, and aim to land on the 'landing'. Dirt jumping can be done on almost anything but the bikes are generally smaller and more manoeuvrable hardtails so that tricks e.g. backflips, are easier to complete. The bikes simpler so that when a crash occurs there are less components that are liable to disfunction and cause the rider injury.

* Trials riding consists of hopping and jumping bikes over obstacles. It can be performed either off-road or in an urban environment. It requires an excellent sense of balance. As with Dirt Jumping and BMX-style riding, emphasis is placed on style, originality and technique. Trials bikes look almost nothing like mountain bikes. They use either 20", 24" or 26" wheels and have very small, low frames, some types without a saddle.

* Urban/Street is essentially the same as urban BMX (or Freestyle BMX), in which riders perform tricks by riding on/over man made objects. The bikes are the same as those used for Dirt Jumping, having 24" or 26" wheels. Also, they are very light, many in the range of 25-30 lbs, and having 0-100 millimeters or front suspension. As with Dirt Jumping and Trials, style and execution are emphasized.

* Cross-Country (XC) is the most popular form of mountain biking, and the standard for most riders. It generally means riding point-to-point or in a loop including climbs and descents on a variety of terrain. A typical XC bike weighs around 9-13 kilos (20-30 lbs), and has 0-125 millimeters (0-5 inches) of suspension travel front and sometimes rear. Some XC riders aspire to race XC races, which are even more physically demanding than regular XC, and like all sports, require years of training at an elite level to compete at a national level.

* Short Cross or Speed Cross (SC) is the newest form of mountain biking. The idea is to ride short, narrow forest paths with rocks, roots and dints, but not necessarily any ramps on them. The optimal length of the paths are from a few tens to hundreds of meters. The shortness is to provide extreme speed and thrilling to get through the hindrances as fast as possible without crashing. The altitude of the paths does not have to vary much. The ultimate direction of the paths from vertical aspect can be the both ways, either up or down. The transitions between these essential parts are to be taken lightly and stopping at the beginning of every path is to provide maximum amount of thrilling action gained through the speed. This form of mountain biking is similar to what might be experienced in a XC or downhill race. The bikes for this purpose can vary from XC to FR.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Aren`t responses supposed to be kept short,you could have just pasted a link.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • archer4
    thank you for the post :D
  • antfly
    edited March 2009
    My pleasure.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    antfly wrote:
    Aren`t responses supposed to be kept short,you could have just pasted a link.
    no (informative yes, short no) & just as quick to C&P, and then all the info is visible quickly to all users
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • antfly
    Well it was informative.It`s questions that are meant to be kept short,that`s what I was thinking of.
  • archer4
    i wouldnt mind trying Short Cross or Speed Cross (SC) sound apealing to me how woulld i practise fro events and where in essex?