Green Tea

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2009 in The Crudcatcher
any one else drink it regularly?

I've been trying to cut down on sugar but haven't been able to do it with normal tea/coffee so I picked up some green tea after hearing about its antioxidant properties in a lecture.

It yummy :D

What other nice teas are there out there? Don't want minty ones, and the twinings fruit blend things leave my mouth all dry and dehydrated :(

B

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Green Tea is gipping lol....

Tried it out on a health-kick a few years ago and it was like drinking nettles.....

English breakfast + milk + 1 sugar = There is no substitute :D
  • I used to drink green tea quite a lot, haven't for a while now. Might have to get a box today!

Have you tried Rooibus or Red Bush tea? I quite like it as a change from PG Tips pyramids, (the best!) and I think it's caffeine free too, so good for late evenings. (I drink WAAAY too much tea, so need to cut my caffeine intake somehow!)

ETA: Quick google search (for spelling of Rooibus!) brings up a free sample!

http://www.redbushtea.com/feedback/feedback.asp
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I started drinking green tea about 10 years ago for the same reasons as you, bigbenj - basically because I wanted to cut down on sugar and milk, and it's a lot less bitter than normal tea.

However, I was drinking up to 12 cups a day and decided that was too much caffeine, so for the last few years have moved to decaf green (Tetleys is the cheapest and most easily available).

BTW, giving up caffeine was more difficult and unpleasant than giving up fags and booze together!

a serious case of small cogs
  • I often drink Nettle Tea. Expensive in the supermarkets, dirt cheap from a health food shop.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • littleandy0410
    Kewl, just sent for a sample :D

toontra
    Caffeine is next, I'm finding sugar hard enough!
    Finished my last jar of coffee and am on the green tea... might get decaf next time :)

BorisSpencer
    Sounds interesting... may give that a go :)
  • It's unnatural I tells ya.

Yorkshire Tea all the way :D
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Faaaaaar too weak for me.... we drink men's tea in Lancashire ;)
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I have tried green tea a number of times and just can't drink It, the thing Is I so want to be able to drink It.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Sarnian wrote:
    I have tried green tea a number of times and just can't drink It, the thing Is I so want to be able to drink It.

A good place to start is with Jasmine tea (you know, the stuff they serve up in Chinese restaurants - well, proper ones anyway!).

a serious case of small cogs
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Why not just drink Tea without
    a)sugar
    b)milk
    c)sugar and milk?
    I don't have sugar in/on owt why spoil the taste of something by sweetening it?I can drink tea or coffee with or without milk,whatever takes my fancy.
    If you make it weak enough tea is similar to green tea anyway :lol:
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    What other nice teas are there out there?
    The missus drinks a fair bit of detox tea, i dont really know what its all about but it smells quite nice!

Having worked as a builders labourer for a year or 2 means i am stuck on builders tea for ever, ie: milk and 2. It gets no better than that. :wink:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • I've had to cut sugar out of mine and am using xylitol now. It's expensive but I already reap benefits from it. The only problem is you have to limit yourself to one or two cups for a week or two cos it has a very good laxative effect :shock:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    I've had to cut sugar out of mine and am using xylitol now. It's expensive but I already reap benefits from it. The only problem is you have to limit yourself to one or two cups for a week or two cos it has a very good laxative effect :shock:

I would waste away at that Rate :shock: I average about 9 , maybe 10 Cups of Tea a Day - even more if it's a quiet Day in work :!:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Massive green tea drinker here, have been for about 2 / 3 years, sweeten it with honey or half honey half / brown sugar.

You need a fair few cups a day to get any real benefit out of it though according to my doc, I have around 4 - 6 cups a day so I'd get some benefit although it's impossible to quantify, some people claim you need 10 / 12 cups but you'd be pissing all night if you did that on top of normal water intake, I reckon. I reckon it also comes down to the quality of the green tea too.
  • fecking nora! lol. i'd never drink that much!

Having them early morning with a tiny bit of syrup or brown sugar which is nice. Actually, you've made me want one now :lol:

really finding it difficult to cut out all the sugar tho :(
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    Forget the tea thingy, although weak G tea is also nice with soya milk, if its sugar you want to cut down on, and dont want artificial sweetners (taste and health) switch to fruit sugar it tastes v similar to sucrose but doesnt give you the energy spikes and cravings for sweet stuff that sugar does. Its has about a 80% lower Glycemic Index. Its supposed to be "sweeter " so you use less too. Ive been on it for about a year now and my overall sugar intake in tea and sweet stuff cravings has dropped alot.
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    P.S. The best herb teas if thats what you want are made from fresh herbs that you boil in a pan, you can order them from places like Niels Yard I found they come out quite a bit more mellow than the manufactured bags, and theres 100's more to try. Can give you other health benefits too if your into that.

I tryed some sena and mint once it was so nice I had 6 cups in the aft and eve, later I found out sena was the stuff they put in laxative chocolate, I had to take the next day off work from spending all night on the throne.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Has anyone tried green tea tablets,can they have the same benefits as green, tea bags but with out the taste.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • I tried green tea once & it left me feeling totally weird!
    Checked the box & it said that for some people, 'can cause hallucination'!

...watch the upsurge in sales...
  • bobagg
    bobagg Posts: 24
    I tried green tea once & it left me feeling totally weird!
    Checked the box & it said that for some people, 'can cause hallucination'!

...watch the upsurge in sales...

Thats funny you should say that, I started drinking the wife's green tea after reading this thread and I've been feeling a bit weird. Feel a bit fuzzy for a while after a cup and then it turns to a sickly feeling. Might keep drinking it in the hope it turns to hallucinations, they sound awesome!
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Watch out, Green Tea is the new LSD according to this thread.

Personally I prefer Assam or Lady Grey. Only place I've had good Green Tea was Hong Kong Tea Bar in Portsmouth.
  • rajputpriyanka193
    edited November 2019
    Hi, You've done the right decision. As green tea is helpful in reducing weight and also good for health in different aspects whether itis blood sugar or immune system.

green tea
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Can't decide whether to press the flag/dislike/like button on that one...
  • Can't decide whether to press the flag/dislike/like button on that one...

For resurrecting a 10 year old thread?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Green tea it's a good option. Did you try Matcha Mocha Tea ? I really like it.
    I read about its properties here . I recommend it 100%.
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    I drink matcha tea .
    One cup every day.
    The one I buy bout 20pound 30g.
    play hard ride hard