Why bibs?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm going to need some new shorts very soon and am wondering what to get... after seeing DDDs article on kit to buy he says bibs but not shorts... so why?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited March 2009
    So that you don't show off your arse crack when you get on the drops and floor it.....!

Also means that they don't work down your legs when you're doing distance......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    For me, no uncomfortable waist band. Also, the bib covers the kidneys with another layer, which is good for those with less insulation...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    JonGinge wrote:
    For me, no uncomfortable waist band. Also, the bib covers the kidneys with another layer, which is good for those with less insulation...

+1.

OK - I can't comment on the insulation aspect. :(
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    +1 to no waist band. I don't feel like I'm being cut in half with bibs, which I do with shorts. The only downside is lack of access when you need a pee :? Not an problem with commuting but may be an issue with longer rides.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bibs hold the Chamois in place more securely, less chance of slippage = comfier! Plus all the reasons listed above.
  • Kieran_Burns
    okay - so is there a HEIGHT specification for bibs?

I don't want to look like Sasha in his mankini!!! :shock:

I'm 6' and weigh in at 14st 10 with associated chunkiness.... :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

Plus they feel sexy.... Oh come on they do... If it's not called a mankini its not ghey to admit they're sexy... :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have only ordinary shorts and tbh I've never found them uncomfortable, though one pair (polaris brand) do slip a little bit. The DHB ones I have, on the other hand, do a perfect job.
  • jonginge

Unfortunately, sizing is very variable between brands. That said bibs are a bit more forgiving to the chunky than waist shorts. Try before you buy (or some merchants have good returns policies). The shoulder loops, or braces if you will, should feel slightly tight when stood upright but ok when normal cycling position is adopted.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    I have only ordinary shorts and tbh I've never found them uncomfortable, though one pair (polaris brand) do slip a little bit. The DHB ones I have, on the other hand, do a perfect job.

Try upping the mileage in them and you'll soon see why Bibs are the common choice - well that's how I found out anyway.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you're out riding and need to stop to 'adjust your hydration levels' - roll up one leg to relieve oneself
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jash, apart from the IOW ride I think all the 50+ mile rides I've done have been in shorts! (never done over 70 miles, though). Maybe I'm just the right shape for shorts, I dunno. Even so, I don't know if the budget conscious, shorts-owning cyclist should feel obliged to buy bib versions if he/she is happy with what they've already got.
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    Jash, apart from the IOW ride I think all the 50+ mile rides I've done have been in shorts! (never done over 70 miles, though). Maybe I'm just the right shape for shorts, I dunno. Even so, I don't know if the budget conscious, shorts-owning cyclist should feel obliged to buy bib versions if he/she is happy with what they've already got.

Horses for courses of course. I was wary of bibs at first - mainly due to the lovely mankini look they provide, but got fed up with shorts on my first 50+ mile ride when the chamois started to move about (perhaps a nasty sweat meets saddle issue) and having to make constant adjustments was annoying to say the least. Never had that issue with bibs, but then the shorts were from Spesh and none of my bibs are Spesh - so no direct comparison to be made there. IME bibs all the way though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well people are recommending the DHB earnley at the moment, but I can't work out whether i should be medium or large as the jump seems quite big between them
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge
    Well people are recommending the DHB earnley at the moment, but I can't work out whether i should be medium or large as the jump seems quite big between them
    Got some dhb bibs last year. Medium fitted me well and I'm 5'10" and svelte...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Large then! :D

Actually I've read some more and the recommendation is to go for: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360038993/
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge

Actually I've read some more and the recommendation is to go for: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360038993/
    Yep. They're good, too. Too warm for me just now. I wore mine for the commute from last Dec to mid Feb. In standard bibs and leg warmers now.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448

At 6ft 5 I had trouble finding long bibs to fit as when I pulled the shoulder straps up my voice got rather squeaky. The only ones I found that were long enough in the body were an XXXXL pair and while the length was good they were made for someone about 5 stone heavier than me, and I aint what you might call streamlined!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Anyone used these ..........

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Finchdean_Bib_Shorts/5360035435/

I'm after my first bib shorts, never really got on with padded shorts before, maybe because they were cheap ones . :?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Rapha bib shorts:

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=646

Yes they are expensive but I own some dhb ones too which are very good. But.... I never wear them now because the rapha ones are so amazing.

If you are going to do any kind of long distances I promise you they are worth it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    JonGinge wrote:

Yep. They're good, too. Too warm for me just now. I wore mine for the commute from last Dec to mid Feb. In standard bibs and leg warmers now.

So earnley for warm weather and merston for cooler.... hokay & thanks :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have both pairs I think one have zipped ankles and front with warm fleece lining the other is alarmingly tight and smooth to touch which seems to attract the attention of non cyclists.

For example the woman driver asking directions last week without making eye contact once :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    I have both pairs I think one have zipped ankles and front with warm fleece lining the other is alarmingly tight and smooth to touch which seems to attract the attention of non cyclists.

For example the woman driver asking directions last week without making eye contact once :shock:

You git! :P

That was a coffee keyboard moment!!! :lol:

"Excuse me? Are you talking to my penis?"

Right I'm buying both :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cheshley wrote:

At 6ft 5 I had trouble finding long bibs to fit as when I pulled the shoulder straps up my voice got rather squeaky. The only ones I found that were long enough in the body were an XXXXL pair and while the length was good they were made for someone about 5 stone heavier than me, and I aint what you might call streamlined!!!!!

Same height as me.. try Pearl Izumi or Campagnolo

Also has no one mentioned that you can go to fancy dress parties as a wrestler?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I just ordered some bibshorts from Ribble: Lusso coolmax 10 Panel progel. They have good reviews and are within my budget. Anyone got Lusso bibshorts?
    Shazam !!