Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Having recently ridden the Cheshire Cat I am more than ever interested in getting the Dura-Ace compact chainset for my bike. It currently has Dura-Ace 7800 throughout.

If I want the new 7900 Dura-Ace compact chainset (FC-7800C) do I also need to buy the new front derailleur (FD-7900) as well? Or worse, will I also need the new STI shifter as well?

Any help would be appreciated because I can't make head nor tail of the official Shimano Dura-Ace compatibility char :oops:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I very much doubt it. Shimano usually say a standard double works fine with their compacts.

[IME the best compact mech is a Campag CT, but you need to tweak it to run with Shimano STI]
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I think the review of the 7900 on this site mentioned a lot about compability with 7800
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You do not need the front mech. your current one will work fine. If you did fit the 7900 mech you would need the shifter as well as they have changed the pull ratio on the front mech.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    So I can get away with just the chainset then :?: This is great news :!:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!