I'm Alive!!!!

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
No I really am after a near death experience at the hands of a Golden Retriever!!

Decided to take a trip out on the bike today, mistake, not only did I have to dodge the pedestrians on the cycle path (walking beside an empty pedestrian walk way), the sunday leisure riders who don't know how to handle a bike and the woman cycling in high heels!

Then on my way back I was totaled by a Golden Retriever running around with no lead on on the cycle path with it's disinterested owners doing nothing to control the bloody anmial. I swerved once to avoid it, it ran next to me trying to bite my leg, I swerved again, the third time saw me hit the back of the dog sending me flying over my handle bars, over the now yelping dog and landing heavily on my back.

I did get some help, but not from the dog owners who were complaining that I shouldn't have spooked their dog. Theres me on the ground in screaming in agony with pain in my neck and back shouting at them to call an ambulance as they walked away. Another passer by who saw everything did call me an ambulance and pretty much had to stop the dog walkers from leaving the scene .

half hour later I find myself on a spinal board wearing a collar, telling the paramedic to check my bike and asking the question I already know the answer to 'Can you get my bike in the back of the truck please' Thankfully the ambulance service look after their own and they sent down an RRV to pick up my bike and get it home for me.

Thankfully no breaks or damage to my back, a couple hours in A&E gave me the all clear and I walked out with a serious case of road rash on my arse!
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Did you get the details of the dog owners? They are legally responsible for the actions of their dog.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sorry to hear about that good job your ok.

Same old sunday stroll ignorant inconsiderate feckin dog owners!!!!
    (can't blame the mutt really)

I've had afew run-ins with this type of owner you politely suggest that the dog should be on the lead and they say " he's well trained and doesn't need it". Only to hear a sudden squeal of brakes as the dog runs across a cyclist !! Numptys
  • NGale
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Did you get the details of the dog owners? They are legally responsible for the actions of their dog.

I believe the person who called the ambulance for me got that and my parents how have the details.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If you'd stuck the dog then that's one thing, but if it attacked you, even playfully, and fouled you the owners will probably be liable I imagine.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    RJW them for personal injury. That'll teach them to not keep it under control. :twisted: Any kit damaged? Hope you heal soon. Welcome to the ambulance-club. :)
  • NGale
    downfader wrote:
    RJW them for personal injury. That'll teach them to not keep it under control. :twisted: Any kit damaged? Hope you heal soon. Welcome to the ambulance-club. :)

suprisingly the bike is fine, not a scratch on it. somehow I managed to get out of the SPDs quickly and fling the bike onto the grass by all accounts. only damage is to my shorts and my arse.

I will now have the mickey taken out of me when I turn up for work in the morning.
  • downfader
    NGale wrote:
    downfader wrote:

suprisingly the bike is fine, not a scratch on it. somehow I managed to get out of the SPDs quickly and fling the bike onto the grass by all accounts. only damage is to my shorts and my ars*.

I will now have the mickey taken out of me when I turn up for work in the morning.

Any ordinary person would have been crippled. Be thankful for the core body strength cycling helps with. I know I was.

I suppose the thing that would worry me would be my knacker falling out of my shorts - thats why I never wear any. :wink::lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Glad your okay, if you have carbon folks, seat post or handlebars check them all over in detail, carbon failure is very very unpleasant.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    Glad your okay, if you have carbon folks, seat post or handlebars check them all over in detail, carbon failure is very very unpleasant.

I have carbon forks on my bike so I have booked it in on Thursday for a health check. Only picked it up a week ago as well. The chap in the shop was very understanding.
  • downfader
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah where is that squirrel picture again? :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    downfader wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah where is that squirrel picture again? :shock:

Foamy is not to be f**ked with - he's a proper SOB :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Reading between the lines, I get the impression you were on a bike path when this happened.

You might be safer riding on the road.

Cheers,
    W.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Good you survived relatively undamaged!

I had a similar run-in with a free running dog in a park some time ago, but a swift boot to the head discouraged it and though I had to stop I wasn't knocked off. The owners got all shouty, until I pointed to the park bye-law notice they were standing beside, which stated dogs must be on leads at all times.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Does the RTA apply to Cycle Paths, it requires dogs to be on leads and according to the dog warden that visited my school oh, er 20 years ago, if not on a lead they are considered stray.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    Ok first of all: Sorry to hear about the accident. Sounds pretty rough! And glad you survived.

Yes none cycling dog owners can be a bit dumb (and very often totally unaware of what is going on around them!!) :roll:

But just one question: How fast were you going?? Be honest!! :?: :?:

You have eyes in your head and if dog/kid/pedestrian/jogger is orming over the path....... Then it is common sense to SLOW DOWN!!!!!

Sorry: as a dog owner and cyclist it is clear for me if my dog is off her lead and I don't hear a bike coming/see them then I expect them to slow down. I provide them same curteousy when cycling!!!!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I have to say that it also occurred to me on reading the OP that shared use facilities cannot be used in haste. Because they are shared use, cyclists shouldn't expect for everyone else to get out of the way.

That's not to say that its not very upsetting if you end up in an accident, but how come you were still going fast enough to fly over the bars?

I don't think its necessarily reasonable for dog owners to expect dogs to run free on a bike path, or a tow path, where there is not very much room for anyone. But where a route passes through an open park, I don't think its reasonable to expect them not to.

No matter what the circumstance, by the time I was close to a dog, I would not be expecting to be going fast enough to fly off my bike in any way shape or form, as I would not want to hurt it. There is no sense in being right, but injuring a dog and/or yourself in the process.
  • downfader
    Jeezzz you dont need to go that fast to flip over the bars. Did it as a kid a couple of times on an old bmx.
  • always_tyred
    downfader wrote:
    Jeezzz you dont need to go that fast to flip over the bars. Did it as a kid a couple of times on an old bmx.
    Yeah - I know I'm breaking my own rule not to judge on the basis of a brief report. #

But, to a dog, a bike is the most inviting or inflamatory thing imaginable. They are strange squeaky creatures (remember, we don't hear what they hear) that are really agressive (in dog language, leaning forward with big staring eyes, is asking for it). As such, quite reasonably, we need barking at, or at the very least investigating.

You just expect a dog, unless restrained, or called back, to come right up to you. Its a dog. It should be a surprise when one doesn't, not the other way around.

Were I a betting man, I'd guess that the OP will in time come to see the event as a salutory lesson in riding to the conditions. I might be wrong about the whole thing, though.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    NGale wrote:
    No I really am after a near death experience at the hands of a Golden Retriever!!

Dogs have hands?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    Sorry to hear about the injury, best wishes for a quick recovery.

If you're insured (CTC?) then put the incident in their hands, that's what you pay for.

And for those of you saying "He should have been on the road/not been cycling so quickly" etc etc.. yawn.... have you stopped to think about if this guy had been your young son/daughter or any kid pootling along on their bike minding their own business??? The dog can't tell the difference!

And once knocked off what does the dog do then (go look at the photos of that poor lass who's recently had tens of stitches to her face and lips - ALL dogs are potentially dangerous <dons tin hat for dog lovers retort>)

Speed/usage of the path has nothing to do with this at all! (IMHO) the dog should have been under control.

Face it some dogs just hate bikes! (not the riders)

Phil
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    And for those of you saying "He should have been on the road/not been cycling so quickly" etc etc.. yawn.... have you stopped to think about if this guy had been your young son/daughter or any kid pootling along on their bike minding their own business??? The dog can't tell the difference!
    Yes, however the (unfounded) suspicion is that there wasn't a lot of pootling going on here. If you are pootling you can stop if a dog gets in the way, and you probably don't hurt yourself badly if you do come off.
    Speed/usage of the path has nothing to do with this at all! (IMHO) the dog should have been under control.
    Meanwhile, back in the Real World, we observe that it's a shared use path, so we would expect to encounter erratic behavior, whether from dogs, walkers, kids playing or other cyclists out for a pootle. It's often inappropriate to ride on a path like this at anything much above walking pace.
    Face it some dogs just hate bikes! (not the riders)
    Phil

Indeed, but that doesn't sound like the problem here. It sounds like the dog was reacting to a strange fast-moving object, in the vicinity of its "pack", in a natural and predictable way. Given that this is likely to happen again, it's probably better to adapt to it than to go off on one.

Ask yourself whether the park authorities are more likely to ban dogs or bikes from the park, if there are recurring conflicts.

Cheers,
    W.
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    My point was about kids and bikes and dogs, even a small child riding very slowly is unlikely to understand the unpredictable nature of a dog and if the dog comes near them have the skill/experience to "stop in control". A kid "face planting" at any speed is not nice and may put them off cycling (and dogs).

A child is unlikely to stop anyway as to them they are being chased, even if the dog is doing it for sport, kids scare easy, I know as my daughter is scared of any dog.

I do acknowledge that "us" cyclists have a responsibility to ride carefully and at a speed that reflects the conditions at the time, wherever they are.

BUT All dogs should be leased in public places FULL STOP - if you don't like my oppinion on this tough! :evil:

P.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    BUT All dogs should be leased in public places FULL STOP - if you don't like my oppinion on this tough! :evil:

P.
    It's also the opinion of the formulators of the highway code: rule 56
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069853
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • always_tyred
    JonGinge wrote:
    phil_ss1 wrote:

P.

Yes, but lets go back to the point that there's no sense in being right, but flat on your back in pain next to a dead dog.

Re the "all public places" comment. That's a bit extreme to say the least.
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    JonGinge wrote:
    phil_ss1 wrote:

P.

Yes, but lets go back to the point that there's no sense in being right, but flat on your back in pain next to a dead dog.

Re the "all public places" comment. That's a bit extreme to say the least.

As much as I would hate to kill a dog, I'd still be pretty smug about being right, ala Gordon Brittas.

"It was my right of way!"

I don't agree with dogs on leashes in every public place, unless your dog is hard to control. But on paths/cycle lanes it should definitely be under your control. None of my dog owning relatives/friends would think of letting them off the lead in a situation like that. :)
  • downfader
    Crikey. Why the arguments here, lol!? We don't know the full in's n outs do we tbh.

I do share a similar philosphy to Phil_ss1 from similar (non-cycling) experiences and would like to see more places "leash up". Esp. on the the SSSI's around here.