Club La Santa Cycling Lanzarote

charliemil
charliemil Posts: 15
Am considering a holiday in Lanzarote staying at the Club La Santa. They advertise themselves as an excellent location for a cycling training camp with good quality Cannondale bikes etc.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    it is very bike friendly, onsite mechanic and bike hire of pretty decent kit. the whole place was a bit tired when I stayed there in 2007. some guys on here stay in teguise and recommend that. either way, its a small island with some decent climbs and the new EU funded roads are like velvet.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Usually is very windy - it wouldnt be my first choice for a cycling destination really.

CLS is OK if you want exercise and a bit of sun - its not luxurious, but then I dont think its meant to be. I love going there.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I've not stayed at CLS but I've ridden over there from Playa Blanca the last couple of times I've been over. The new roads are smooth, its true, but go off them and the smaller roads are bumby gravel. Personally, it wouldnt be my first choice for riding, the lunar landscape gets a bit boring imho. And I've only ever ridden a couple of days when I've been there, if you're planning to ride a decent distance every day I suspect you may find it a bit "samey" for a week.

That said, when I've been in October its nice to get your legs out and have a ride in 70 degree sunshine. The wind always makes for a good training ride in one direction and fast in the other!
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    cougie wrote:
    Usually is very windy - it wouldnt be my first choice for a cycling destination really.
    I must admit I would agree, it is a windy place, but if you've got a power meter who cares?

I'm off to Majorca and the weather is pretty consistent there at the moment. torrential rain... so maybe Lanzarote isn't os bad :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I did have a nasty scare on one of the hire bikes there - following a map from CLS and it took me down a road to the edge of the island - nowt there but to turn round. What it didnt show was that they hadnt finished with the road and it turned into a thick gravel bad that hadnt been tarmacced down - at speed down the hill - it just looked bumpy !

Really had accepted I was gonna lose it before managing to stay on - so maybe best hiring a bike ! ;-)
  • cjessop
    cjessop Posts: 36
    Just come back from there, went late Feb '09. It's a great place to go, the weather this year when was fantastic, some days there was hardly any wind. For a week there is a fair amount to do and at CLS there is always something else to do if you fancy it. Would recommend it. I certainly agree about the roads, the new one to Famara is just perfect, I would recommend staying off the small side ones for too long as they can be really bumpy.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    liversedge wrote:
    the new EU funded roads are like velvet.

AFAIK, they had to do this before the end of last year... before the funding ran out... or was it the year before? :?
  • I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS AND THE CYCLING IS WELL ORGANIZED
    WHEN I WAS THERE IT WAS INTERNATIONAL BIKE WEEK IN NOVEMBER
    AND IS GREAT FOR ALL STANDARDS
    THEN WHAT BETTER AFTERWARDS TO RELAX BY THE POOL
    EVERY DAY A DIFFERENT ROUTE AND TIME TRIAL ON THE LAST DAY
    AND 90% OF THE ROADS GREAT FOR CYCLING AFTER JUST BEING NEWLY LAYED