Defeated!

Throlkim
Throlkim Posts: 94
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I have been cast aside by the damn hill that stands between me and the next village. My pride would have me believe that I can make it on a non-windy/hailing/rainy day, but it was not to be with this weather. When I reached my spinniest, slowest gear, I gave up and headed home - it would have been faster walking up the hill. :cry:

damnhill.png

I want to cycle the 19 miles to Oxford within 2 weeks. And that's not even the biggest hill on the route. Though it does have 15 miles downhill, which would prove nice.

And then I would get the train home. :lol:

Anyone got a monster hill they tackle regularly in a manly/womanly fashion? Put me to shame!

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    um, can you do that in metric?

what is your spiniest lowest gear?

I spent most of Tuesday going slower up a hill than I wanted to, to avoid dropping a mate. On Wednesday it was he going slow so as not to leave me for dead as I walked.
    Legs still sore. :cry:
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Throlkim
    nwallace wrote:

what is your spiniest lowest gear?

I spent most of Tuesday going slower up a hill than I wanted to, to avoid dropping a mate. On Wednesday it was he going slow so as not to leave me for dead as I walked.
    Legs still sore. :cry:

Pfft! Metric!
    damnhill_metric.png

I believe I was in 30/26. Worst part about being in Oxfordshire is the lack of flat ground to warm up. As soon as I leave the house, BAM! Hills. :x
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Oxfordshire...hilly....hah...come up to the Peak District - got a nice 1 in 4 within a couple of miles of my house - :D

Just keep trying the hill - aim to get a bit further every time. It's not something you can avoid where I live.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Best way to conquer it, would be to cycle up as far as you in whatever gear you find best, when you can't go on, stop rest for a few minutes then carry on. Every time you go up it, tell yourself to go an extra lamp-post before stopping, eventually you will ride the hill all the way without stopping.

I would have thought with 30/26 should should be able to go up most things, even if it slower than walking. You will get better at them, and you will start using bigger gears and going faster.

You can still warm up going up a hill, just pick a lower gear and spin up them.
  • Throlkim
    Thanks for the tips chaps! My ultimate aim in the next year is to conquer a fantastic hill between me and Stratford-Upon-Avon. It's called Edge Hill.

edgehill.png

That green line in the middle? Hairpin bend. Weeeeee. :lol:
    I have trouble driving up that, let alone cycling. Seen plenty of collapsed cyclists having a break at the top.

And fossyant, I think the peak district would kill me :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Throlkim wrote:
    Anyone got a monster hill they tackle regularly in a manly/womanly fashion? Put me to shame!

Hey don't be down it's perfectly normal just keep at in as often as you can eventually it will submit to your will. :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    nwallace wrote:

WTF :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Throlkim
    Just south of Banbury. Back with my family for a couple of weeks while I'm off uni, then it's back to Cardiff, which is...flatter. :lol:
  • itboffin
    edited March 2009
    Throlkim here's a ride to really spoil ones day https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=793203 I did this yesterday in the hail and gales I'm just glad the views are so stunning, enough to take my mind of the pain at least.

16f3086cf70447c2af98e69304952aa6.jpg
  • Throlkim
    itboffin wrote:
    Throlkim here's a ride to really spoil ones day https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=793203 I did this yesterday in the hail and gales I'm just glad the views are so stunning, enough to take my mind of the pain at least.

Sweet jeebus! I only managed 8 miles yesterday in those gales. :D
    I wish:
    a) I had the stamina for that!
    b) That Oxfordshire wasn't just a billion miles of 10ft-high hedges.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:

I don't believe that. It says you topped out at 1000mph. Or am I reading it wrong?
  • edmellor
    edmellor Posts: 3
    itboffin wrote:

I don't believe that. It says you topped out at 1000mph. Or am I reading it wrong?

That's the altitude, you read the speed on the other side, he topped out at just over 30mph.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    itboffin wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

WTF :shock:

Some people have never had to learn the stupid, antiquated, irrelevant system that is the Imperial system.

I would post my Nemisis hill, but am too lazy to do it.
    Find Balmerino in Fife, find Course Brae (known locally as the coach road)

I set a target at the Grit Bin years ago and have only once ever got past it since. The next target is the first corner, and yes got past it only once. Can usually do the rest from there, the 1 time i got past the grit bin and the first corner I made it all the way up.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    hill nr my folks place, pritty short only half a mile, and average of around 20% but it takes a while to get going and has some very steep ramps, one of which is a true you need 1st gear in a car....

i can do it with mtb gearing, under 20 GI but it's hard work, i learnt to hill start on that hill and i used t walk home from school that way so i have history with that hill and want to beat it with road gearing.....
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Leckwith Hill is just under 1/2 a mile. I can't find any definite info on the gradient but on a running forum someone said it was 10%. I've got a compact chainset (34/50) with a 12-25 cassette and I find it hard going, I'm hoping it'll get easier in time. I've hit 42mph on the way down but I could probably walk quicker on the way up.

Hey Rob, when you're back in Cardiff give it a go!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 90654,,0,5

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Throlkim wrote:
    I have been cast aside by the damn hill that stands between me and the next village. My pride would have me believe that I can make it on a non-windy/hailing/rainy day, but it was not to be with this weather. When I reached my spinniest, slowest gear, I gave up and headed home - it would have been faster walking up the hill. :cry:

damnhill.png

I want to cycle the 19 miles to Oxford within 2 weeks. And that's not even the biggest hill on the route. Though it does have 15 miles downhill, which would prove nice.

And then I would get the train home. :lol:

You call that a hill? It`s a mere pimple.
    I have earned the right to scoff because I climbed 3500ft today 8)
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    That makes you a munro-ist, doesn't it?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I didn`t say it was all at once!
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    edmellor wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

That's the altitude, you read the speed on the other side, he topped out at just over 30mph.
    Are you sure?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Come up to the valleys, everywhere i go from my house is uphill, 10, 12, 15% straight from the front door. Then the climbs start! :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    This is the last mile of my 20 mile commute :( I want to move 1 mile closer to work.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/killer-hill

I've done it before but some times I just have to get off and walk, my lowest gear is 36/25.

I've had to post the link because I'm cack with the internet :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • roger_merriman
    Come up to the valleys, everywhere i go from my house is uphill, 10, 12, 15% straight from the front door. Then the climbs start! :wink:

yes you do get some amusing hills there i used to be a postie in one of the high valley towns, did once nearly come a cropper on one, as started down one snowy hill, i realised it was ice luckly there was a fence so i slithered down posting as i went, that street didn't get any mail for s few days until the ice had gone....
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    If you can walk up it - you can cycle up it!

Massive psychological boost when you beat a hill......I am un-defeated so far, awaiting the one that kills me, I know it is out there somewhere!
  • roger_merriman
    gtvlusso wrote:
    If you can walk up it - you can cycle up it!

Massive psychological boost when you beat a hill......I am un-defeated so far, awaiting the one that kills me, I know it is out there somewhere!

yup pritty much spot on lot of the hill is in ones head, this said i can't yet get up some of the hills nr my folks place with road gearing. doable on the MTB mind you my fittness though increasing isn't what it was.

your bristol aren't you? i could always knock up a short but sweet selection of steep hillls from either abergavenny station or parked up in Gilwern if you have a car. bikely or some such site. some of the roads are steep enought to need 1st gear in a car...
  • Throlkim
    Benno68 wrote:
    Leckwith Hill is just under 1/2 a mile. I can't find any definite info on the gradient but on a running forum someone said it was 10%. I've got a compact chainset (34/50) with a 12-25 cassette and I find it hard going, I'm hoping it'll get easier in time. I've hit 42mph on the way down but I could probably walk quicker on the way up.

Hey Rob, when you're back in Cardiff give it a go!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 90654,,0,5

One of the reasons I like Cardiff is because it's flat! :D
    I will have a pootle around some of the hills when I'm back methinks. I sometimes have to do the commute in my signature; the hill up to Culverhouse Cross is a bit of a pain, but it's awesome coming back down again!