Another which wheel question

Fifer
Fifer Posts: 60
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
H all!

I'm after a new set of wheels for my Allez Elite. I have a budget of £400 max (so the wife tells me but I think i can squeeze a few more pounds out of her :) ) I have spent days on picking between the options below but still not any closer to buying anything.

I was thinking about the following wheels.

Compag Zonda's
Fulcrum Racing 3's
Shimano Ulltegra's
Mavic Ksyrium Elite's

I am 15st so I would be looking for something that can take my fat ass.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Dave
Winter Bike: Specialized Allez Elite
Summer Bike: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL

Comments

• dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Try Easton EA90. Great wheels, "factory" but actually handmade. www.eastonbike.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mavic Open Pro rims with DT Swiss 240s hubs plus your choice of spoke.

I have replaced some Mavic Ksyrium Equipes with these on my winter bike (Although my rear hub is a powertap), they run so buttery smooth, are bomb proof and maintenance is a doddle.

I also use the Shimano Dura Ace carbon clinchers on my bestbike which are absolutely fabulous, I got them brand new for £450 but they have gone up a lot since...
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've also got an Allez Elite and just recently upgraded to Easton EA90 SLX (the lower spoke version than the EA90 SL) and I really like them... much more comfortable ride than the poor wheels that came with my bike, lovely hubs too - very smooth and they use standard spokes I believe in case you need a replacement. If you can still find some 2008 Eastons - you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can buy them for. I was looking at handbuilts but I could get the Easton's cheaper and they were lighter than the handbuilts I was considering too. So far they've been great.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Yes, mine are the EA90 SLX. Had them for a year and done about 1200 miles on them including a Dragon Ride and Etape. Very light and strong - still perfectly true after many potholes, appalling Surrey roads - and incredibly easy to service. Took me just 20 minutes to remove freehub, stuff it with grease and reassemble.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Mavic Open Pro rims with DT Swiss 240s hubs plus your choice of spoke.

Good spec but I don't think that come in under £400. Just had a set of Ambrosio Excellights on Hope Pro3s builts up which came in under £400. Not as light as the Mavic Elites (about 1640g on my scales) but should ride well.

I've not ridden them but the new Elites certainly look good.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer