New bike, don't like it :(

Barrie_G
Barrie_G Posts: 479
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I took delivery of a nice shiny Malt 4 with full xt, Reba SL forks at the beginning of last week, went out for my first real ride on it today and realise that I should have just kept to my road bike as I just didn't enjoy myself at all

Now my problem is do I keep it and use it to pootle around town and go to the shops on etc. or do I sell it, take a hit of 3-4 hundred quid and either just stick with the road bike that I have or buy a cheaper road bike for around town and keep my good bike (enigma eclipse, full ultegra sl ) for a summer bike.

Comments

• cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    You could always try explaining the situation to the shop you bought the Malt from. Maybe they would consider taking the Malt back and part exchanging it for a road bike. You could ask them to spec you a winter road bike with guards, wider tyres etc. then keep you best bike for riding in the good weather. Either way I think you'll have to take a bit of a financial hit of some sort, but there's no point persisting with a bike you're not happy with. Good luck!
    cheers, but I bought it mail order, there's nothing wrong with the bike I think I've just gotten used to a lighter bike on the road.

I might mention about not being happy with it to a guy at the gym who asked for first refusal if I was selling it to see if he was serious, if not I'll probably just hang onto it as a hack bike.
  • ringo42
    ringo42 Posts: 21
    Hang on to it, give it another chance when the weather's better. Ideally find some like-minded mates to go with and i'm sure you'll see how good it can be.
    Totally different to road riding but that's part of the fun.
    Admittedly it is so much better when you only come back with a coating of dust rather than plastered in mud!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Beg to disagree. I measure the amount of "fun" I had MTBing by the amount of mud on my legs/hands/face/back/hair/shoes...

I agree it in a PITA to wash the bike after every single ride...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stick with it, join a club that does MTB rides, I'm sure you'll learn to love it!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    do you not like the new bike or not like MTBing?

If the latter, then why did you fork out a load of cash before trying it?

You could give it some more rides to get into it and try some different routes. If you still don't fancy it then flog the bike on, maybe bit by bit, and go back to the hard stuff.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Barrie_G wrote:
    I took delivery of a nice shiny Malt 4 with full xt, Reba SL forks at the beginning of last week, went out for my first real ride on it today and realise that I should have just kept to my road bike as I just didn't enjoy myself at all

Now my problem is do I keep it and use it to pootle around town and go to the shops on etc. or do I sell it, take a hit of 3-4 hundred quid and either just stick with the road bike that I have or buy a cheaper road bike for around town and keep my good bike (enigma eclipse, full ultegra sl ) for a summer bike.

distance selling does allow one to send back goods for any reason at all, though not sure for how long, and wouldn't be susprised that using a MTB might realistic make it not for sending back... but do check though quickly.

the other thing is where did you MTB? MTBing is very differant to road. i first love is MTBing and in the thicks glupy mud one can find!

try differnet areas? or use it for horrible winter days maybe?