Sir Alan Sugar on his bike

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Check out 'Sralan' on his fancy £7,000 Pinarello 'Prince of Spain'. He does 50 miles twice a week at 62 years old!

www.mailonsunday.co.uk/cycling

Comments

• roadrider84
    roadrider84 Posts: 335
    Fantastic article. I had no idea he was a cycling enthusiast! Superb looking bike too!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    The only health downside of prolonged periods in the saddle in tight-fitting Lycra - much discussed by young men on cycling forums - is erectile dysfunction

is it - much discussed - can't say i have noticed much going on
  • wolleur
    wolleur Posts: 30
    LittleB0b wrote:
    The only health downside of prolonged periods in the saddle in tight-fitting Lycra - much discussed by young men on cycling forums - is erectile dysfunction

AFAIK it's only an issue from a bad fitting bike or unsuitable saddle, and nothing to do with wearing lycra.

It's a shame a positive article about cycling is marred by a naive and ignorant statement like this as it's just the sort of thing Mail on Sunday readers would pick up on!
    Campag taste, jam wages.
  • Those are the lanes I cycle on....I will have to keep my eyes open!
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Strangely and fortunately enough, on any club ride I've ever been on erectile disfunction has not been a topic of discussion.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Resect to the Sugar-puff old man

Respect :lol: Nice bike too
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Good article, and nice to see a prominant person benifiting from the sport we all love. Unfortunatly its in the wrong paper, I can't see many Star/Sport paper readers getting into cycling can you?
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Good article, Unfortunatly its in the wrong paper, I can't see many Star/Sport paper readers getting into cycling can you?

Please Star/sport talk about lowering the tone lol
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Is the writer wearing a hard shell helmet minus the hardshell?

The bit about his 59T chainring made me laugh.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Top man. But looking at the last photo I can't help thinking he must shave his legs, not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that. :oops:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Whats wrong with shaving your legs? Its much less ugly than the 'furbee' look!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My only view was, with all that money, Assos would be preferable to that god awful Garmin kit.

And those socks!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    brownbosh wrote:
    Whats wrong with shaving your legs? Its much less ugly than the 'furbee' look!
    nothin. althugh knowing where to stop can be 'interesting'. maybe that was a bit too much info. :oops:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Great article! (Although having read this thread I'm now wondering about my saddle... ;)
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    The article says he has campag boras, but he photo of the bike has Zipps - they must be his training wheels :shock: . Either way, very nice bike! One day... one day....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    wolleur wrote:
    LittleB0b wrote:

AFAIK it's only an issue from a bad fitting bike or unsuitable saddle, and nothing to do with wearing lycra.

It's a shame a positive article about cycling is marred by a naive and ignorant statement like this as it's just the sort of thing Mail on Sunday readers would pick up on!

It's probably more common than you think but people don't exactly like to talk about it. It's unlikely that someone's going to turn up for a club run and ask you if you've got EDF problems! I think some saddles are worse than others, any saddle that puts pressure on the perineum where nerves that serve the penis run can cause numbness. I've had numbness on long rides (no EDF) but I never noticed until I thought to check. It kinda takes you by surprise when you realise you just can't feel it! It's definitely something to think about...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    This is a good article that is puts cycling into a positive light.

The issues of EDF & wheels fitted etc, just show the journalist is probably not as educated in cycling as he leads you to believe.

The fitness information is a worthy addition too. Hopefully more people will think of cycling for fitness as being a good thing.

If Sir Alan fancies a week or so riding in Florida Spain, I'd be happy to accompany him.

I bet there are a lot more riders out Sunday mornings around Essex from now on.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    He rides in my neck of the woods, not sure what I'd say to him if I saw him though. :lol:

Paid a lot for his Record SR though, didn't he?
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    not sure what I'd say to him if I saw him though.

It'd have to be "YOU'RE FIRED".
    Witty and original, he'd probably offer you a job :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Is the writer wearing a hard shell helmet minus the hardshell?

The bit about his 59T chainring made me laugh.

Forgive my ignorace, 59t is huge, no? I mean I think my 53t is probably a bit big and I'm not 5'6 and 60 years old, if you know what I mean.

Should we be laying bets on Sralan's knees?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    59t is indeed massive, but I spose its possible. He says its for his house in Florida, so its flat everywhere and he doesnt like to change to the small ring !?

Heck - he's SirAlan - he can do whatever he wants !!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    cougie wrote:
    He says its for his house in Florida, so its flat everywhere

!!
    Surely it's need to be like one of those Esher pictures - downhill everywhere.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He could afford a lacky to ride behind him with a propellor to give him a permanent tail wind ?

Hmmm - thats an idea for the next apprentice !
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Nice to see someone who is such an easily recognised "celebrity" raising the profile of cycling.

Nice bike, though it should be for that sort of money.

Any ideas on what type of helmet he's wearing, I'm at the looking stage at the moment and that seems to be a nice low profile effort.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cougie wrote:
    He could afford a lacky to ride behind him with a propellor to give him a permanent tail wind ?

Hmmm - thats an idea for the next apprentice !

:D:D:D
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Presume the 59t is a typo
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    tho i wonder why wear a cheap specialized helmet that seems to be barely staying on his fat head and does look as if it leaning back a bit too much. another typo might be the wheels as it says campag bora wheels but obviously zipp wheels tho thats whats on the photo tho could be rebadged.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Good on him getting out on his bike, even if he does look a bit of a colour clash on wheels. That helmet looks far too far back on his head though yep.
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    I thought that was inspirational.I thought i was too old at 41 to get back into cycling now i know i am not very inspirational :o:o
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    He saved my football team and rides a road bike, no wonder he is a Sir :P .