which bike @ Evans to go for? c.£850

timegan2002
timegan2002 Posts: 44
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
I have just ordered a £1000 voucher through my works bike2work scheme through Evans. I am mainly gonna be using it for a 7 mile commute across south Birmingham to Solihull as well as the occasional sportive and weekend in the Yorshire Dales. I have only ever ridden a road bike for 1 day on holiday in Tenerife to climb uo 2000meters to the top of mount Teide, loved it so much gotta get a road bike. Want to use some of the 1k on lights, computer, mudguards, bag etc to make the bike commuter friendly so the choice around £800/900 looks like:

Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra Compact or Triple 2009 Road Bike £878.99
Cannondale Synapse Tiagra Triple 2009 Road Bike £849.99
Felt Z80 2009 Road Bike £849.99
Bianchi Nirone 7 Mirage Compact 2009 Road Bike £849.99
Gary Fisher ARC Super 2009 Road Bike £899.99
Trek 1.7 Compact 2009 Road Bike £924.99
Genesis Vapour 2009 Road Bike £830.99
Scott Speedster S40 27 speed 2009 Road Bike £781.99

Which 2 or 3 should I be looking to book for a test?

Cheers

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Just off the bat, of those, both Cannondales and the Bianchi would appeal to me.

Fancy a CAAD9 myself to repalce the Allez. Just wish you could get a Campagnolo-build or a frame/fork only option on 'dales in the UK.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Don't forget to buy a decent D-Lock such as the Abus X-Plus Granite 54 around £65-70.
    Ride them all and go for the one YOU like best.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • sweep
    sweep Posts: 360
    All the bikes ypu mention are traditional road bikes. This is ok and they can certainly be used for touring but you would struggle to fit proprt mudguards to them.

You could use clip on guards such as raceblades.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks ... k-ec012084

These are ok for occasional use but may not be the best option for full time commuting.

The alternative would be to buy a bike that can take full guards. The Spesh Tricross Sport is available from Evans in your price bracket.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec016874

It would be heavier than the bikes you listed but would be more robust and, with a tyre swap, up to riding the occasional sportive.
    It\'s Only Rock n\' Roll But I Like It!
  • Ta for all the advice. Highlighted some of the things I may have missed as its my 1st major bike buy ever! Will have a look at the spesh trcross as an alternative to a standard road. Looking forward to the new birmingham evans shop opening this week so i can get down and have a look in the flesh.

Cheers