Advice needed please - I need a roof mounted carrier

JK1969
JK1969 Posts: 29
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi - I stupidly purchased second hand halfords advanced bike carriers, but when I went to use them for my Bianchi 928 carbon they don't fit. My LBS has also told me I shouldnt use a carrier which clamps on the bottom tube - if the bike is carbon.

Can anybody please recommend a decent & safe carrier. I've looked at the discontinued thule 511, or the current 561.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    JK,
    I have exactly the same bike as you :D:D

I have both the "clamp on the down tube" type carriers and also a Thule VeloVice carrier (think that could be the 511 you mention?) which clamps on the drop outs of the front forks. The fork type one is definitely the sort to go for. I wouldn't contemplate using the other sort on my Bianchi. OK for aluminium but not for carbon. The cam type clamps can exert a lot of force and I would be worried about crushing the tubes.

The VeloVice holds the bike very securely and I have no worries about causing any other damage to the bike.

I got mine second hand off Ebay for £25. They come up occasionally.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I use a Thule to clamp onto the downtube of my carbon bike. I cushion the grip with bubble wrap -seems to work...touch wood!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Elite San Remo is good value for clamper.
    Rich
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    I have use a couple of THESE and I would like to know if it's possible to clamp it on without rubbing/scratching the paint? How tight do you do it up?

I don't think you have any problem crushing the carbon.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have used the Y shaped clamp and the clamp down type thules on carbon bottom tubes for years with no probs. I was at first apprehensive and started a thread here about it and lots of others used them too.

The peletons cars use them too.
    Brian B.