New saddle required...

gcaster
gcaster Posts: 152
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

I got back from another bike ride today, nothing major just a quick 20mile jobby and my backside feels broken!

I got my first road bike (BeOne Blizzard RL) almost a month ago now and the seat is torture. I've used a fair few MTB saddles in my time and this one is almost as uncomfortable as a plastic trials seat!

Can anyone recommend a seat they like (I know it's quite an individual thing but hey)?
I don't want a massively soft one that'll give me sores on long rides but a more comfortable upgrade is definitely necessary.

Thanks!

Comments

• i have tried out quite a few saddles and the one iv found to be amazing to perch on very comfy for long rides is unbelievably the Charge Spoon saddle, which is like £20! search around for reviews on it, they are all glowing. a nice cheap saddle that IMO out-performs a lot of its much more expensive counterparts for comfort.

And if you dont get on with it, its only £20 and you can sell it on via ebay as they are a popular saddle.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    +1
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    +1

the spoon is possibly the greatest ever saddle in the history of cycling.. ;):)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd also check your LBS's to see if any have demo saddles. I use the Charge Spoon on my MTBs but use a Spesh BG Avatar on my road bike (mostly because it's what it came with and seems fine up to about 5 hours).
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    more + for the Spoon (the cheap one: another 20quid for Ti rails ain't worth it unless you are a very slim racing snake on 5K worth of machine...). I now have 2, to save switching about.

The other thing to bear in mind is that a saddle comfy for a 20 - 30 mile training run may be a SOB on a long ride. Its amazing how a seemingly soft-feeling initially-comfy saddle can become a pile of lumpy sharp concrete after 3 hours.... :shock:

But then you won't find out until after the long ride...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • crabstix
    crabstix Posts: 61
    I have tried a number of high end saddles,Selle Max Flites, Specialized Toupes, Fiziks, etc. All in the £50-£90 range! And all of them were disappointing.

In the end (if you'll excuse the pun) I have always gone back (sic) to a Specialized BG2. It cost me a little over £20 quid and seems as good for short distance sprints as it is to 6 1/2 hours roaming over the Pennines! Haven't tried a Spoon but have noted very high praise for that particular perch from many reviewers.
  • wolleur
    wolleur Posts: 30
    Specialized BG saddles do the trick for me, make sure you get your sit bones measured by you LBS, they will make you sit on a spongy foam thing that tells them which saddle size you need.

I'm almost always cycling on a tight budget but one thing not to skimp cost on is the saddle!
    Campag taste, jam wages.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You should try a San Marco Rolls. Those are really nice. A lot of people like Turbomatics too, but they are becoming hard to come by.