Tyre Levers

didnothingfatal
didnothingfatal Posts: 11
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Anybody recommend some good tyre levers, trying to get a Continental Sport tyre off a Ritchey rim and my knuckles are still hurting. The ones I've used for years on my mountain bike just aren't happening!

What do people carry to get road tyres off these 'deep' rims, oh yeah must be portable!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Crank Bros Speed Lever if you're having trouble, otherwise Park or Specialized Pry Babies in the seat pack. Technique is equally critical - pinch the tyre to get the bead into the well of the rim and then give enough slack to hook it over the rim.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I've got some Park Tools ones and some cheapy ones that came from a puncture repair kit from Wilkinsons... Seem to do the job although I've heard that the Park ones snap
  • Found some black wide Park levers in the tool box, are the blue coloured levers the ones that snap??
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Soma. Steel-cored with plastic outer. None of mine (three sets) have failed me but the BikeRadar reviewwasn't a good one.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Found some black wide Park levers in the tool box, are the blue coloured levers the ones that snap??
    I have used them for years, never snapped one - maybe they do in icy weather, but they have served me fine. Got a good technique though, as above.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I use Park Tools basic Blue ones - cheap, reliable enough levers.
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    I've had Park ones snap on me. I now use Pedros

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... vers-10183
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've snapped two blue Park Tools levers - I probably only snapped them because people have said they wouldn't snap.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    +1 for the Soma levers to, have 3 sets now (road saddle bag, camelbak for MTB and a set in the garage), never had any of them crack. I've managed to break a fair few plastic levers in my time though...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got the same rim/tyre combo, I used the blue park levers a couple of weeks ago to change to back tyre worked fine, although getting a gator skin on has left me with a blister the size of a 5p peice on my thumb! :evil:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    For stubborn tyres on rims +1 for the Speed Levers, just make sure you don't pinch the tube but apart from that excellent tool.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/tyre-lever-17251533/

I've used these for more years than I can remember :)
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)