Conti GP 4000 and Conti 4 Seasons?

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Ok kids, I know I should search the forum for any previous reviews, but I've not got the time at the moment, so need some input before I place an order later today.

I need tyres for Flanders next week. I'm erring towards 4 Seasons at the moment because they should do the job for the commute.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, of the 4 Seasons for the commute?

Alternatively, I may opt for the GP 4000 tyre because it's supposedly a bit racier, whether for other sportives or for the odd race. Anyone got any experience of these?

Cheers in advance.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not used the 4 seasons, but the Conti GP 4000s are great tyres, fast and strong.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I run 23C 4 Seasons on my road bike (used for commuting in fair weather) and 25C Gatorskins on my fixie. The 4 Seasons are noticeably zippier and more confidence inspiring than the Gatorskins. Haven't had any problems with visits from the p-fairy (touch wood).

I haven't tried any racier tyres, so I can't compare them to those I'm afraid!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have a 4 season on the back and a GP 4000s on the front. I've got my own cheaper Conti Attack/Force thing going on.....

Having gone through two GP4000s on the rear tyre (no fault of the tyre) I opted for something harder wearing. The 4 seasons are thicker, heavier and feel slower. BUT that's in comparision to the GP4000s, which are fantastic it's like comparing a Audi S4 (the GP4000s) to the Audi A4 (4 seasons) both fantastic for different reasons.

To be honest I have no complaints with either. It depends on what you want and they do what they say on the box perfectly. The GP4000s are a faster tyre (accelration, rolling resistance) than the 4 seasons. The 4 seasons offer more puncture protection. They both provide astonishing levels of grip, my only concern with corners or riding in the wet is my ability to take the corner/stay upright and not the grip provided by the tyre.

I can't stop singing the praises of either tyre. Bottom line?

Sportive and races - GP4000s
    Commuting on crap roads - 4 seasons

(I would do a sportive on the 4 seasons and I would/have commuted happily on the 4000s)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got an even cheaper Attack/Force variant of 4 Seasons front and gator rear. Very few unscheduled deflations with the combo. The 4 seasons front is over a year old and still looking ok bar a few nicks. I've got GP4000 tyres (no s) on the Scott and they're pretty good, too. Survived HOTA and alpine roads but would be concerned about longevity for the commute.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    GP4000S - before I got the Touche I commuted and trained all year round on GP400s and then GP4000S. The S are quite simply awesome tires, punc resistant, grippy and fast.
  • cjcp
    Thanks, chaps. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    I've got 25 mm 4 seasons on my road bike at the mo and feel confident, comfortable and reasonably quick on them. No p******e yet in 1200 km ish since xmas. Had them on the fixie for the commute for a little bit and liked them. Apparently 25s are good for Flanders pave. I've not got a lot to compare them to but I would definitely buy them again.
  • cjcp
    Took a bit of a punt and went for the GP4000S. You're right, the 25mm are a bit more comfortable for the pave, but I used 23mm a couple of years back and will persist with the Gatorskins for the commute, and the need for a racier tyre won through.:-)

Thanks, chaps.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'm going 4s rather than Gators on my new fixie commuter.... rather have Mich Pro Race 3's...but far too nice for commute duties.... Gators are supposed to be a bit slippy in wet..... dunno..I'm a mich rider here...
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    I think Gators are supposed to be more hard wearing but less grippy than 4 seasons. My 4 seasons are great but I could very definitely see the difference between front and rear after 1000km so I swapped them front to back. You pays your money and you takes your choice, but I'd rather a pricier but more secure ride myself.
  • cjcp
    A quick update for anyone who's interested:

As Jash said, the GP 4000S are fab. I began questioning my tyre choice when most others were riding 25mm and Vittorias, but I pumped them to 95psi and all was good. Great grip round the corners - I was really chucking the bike round the corners - and they certainly seem to have more zip than Gatorskins.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    Another tyre to consider is Michelin Krylion Carbons. You can get them from Chainreactioncycles.