Shimano or Campagnolo

Chrisw1980
Chrisw1980 Posts: 39
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
O yes its time for the ugly question ive choosen the bike no its time to ask what groupset sir? Dura Ace and record, and Sram red are a bit out of my price range but what about the best of the rest Ultegra/105, Carbon Centaur/Cenataur maybe stretch to Chorus at a push, and Sram force/ Rival

Thanks for any experiences

Chris :shock:

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You've not been on here long have you? You'll know what I mean in about 3000 posts time.....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It has been decided, by a 10 to 1 margin, that Campy is best, or was it Shimano, wait, maybe it was Sram. In any case, now that you know the results you can buy with confidence.

Dennis Noward
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    any chance of trying at least the levers out? might hate/love the way one system works or not.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Shimano, no contest
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Oops pressed submit too soon. It's all about individual preference at the end of the day.See if you can test a bike with Shimano, SRAM or Campag and see which works the best for you.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ethically. aesthetically, technologically it can only be campag
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have a bike with Shimano and a bike with Campag, I much prefer the Campag shifters but Shimano have a much better (IMO) range of cassettes.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I have shimano ultegra on my TT bike, & Campag Veloce on my road race bike. Can't really compare them as 1 is bar end shift, t'other is by ergo's. But I do prefer the Campag shifting......
  • nice pic of your bike.
    is that 'flat stanley' next to it?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have both Ultegra 9 speed and Chorus STis ( sounds like a disease ). Both shift very well, except I prefer the Ultegra STi set up with brake and gear change levers together as opposed to seperate like Campag. My Chorus levers are a few years old now 2004 10 speed spec so maybe Campag have now copied Shimano set up? Campag everytime though for hubs. IMHO far superior than Shimano.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Pick the one that you find most comfortable and the best in the range that you can afford.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    minor pluses and minus either way, shimano stuff tends to not be servicable yet campag sells almost every part. campag uses weaker brakes on the rear, and likened it to ABS which is one way of saying your all ham fisted lumps who can't modulate brakes, there are loads and loads of reasons to like and dislike very few are any thing but minor, go for the one you like, as my only roadie at the mo is downtube shifters i'm with shimano though i'm more campy leaning for newer bikes even if their ABS fluff anoys a little.
  • fast as fupp
    ii have it on good authority that shimanoistas have horns and cloven hooves and worship the devil :twisted:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ii have it on good authority that shimanoistas have horns and cloven hooves and worship the devil :twisted:

You take that back or I'll put a curse on you.

Dennis Noward
  • fast as fupp
    dennisn wrote:

You take that back or I'll put a curse on you.

Dennis Noward

im already cursed! :lol:
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    You can always buy a combination of all three. I think it's marketed as Shimpagnoloram. :wink: