Arrrggghhh! We're doing it all wrong

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Cyclists Survival Guide from asiaweb direct.

Useful hints and tips from our asian brethern (and cistern, presumably):
2. In terms of 'confused drivers', if a fast vehicle approaches, you must move about one meter towards the center of the lane, then quickly come back. The driver will be confused and will either reduce speed or keep a safe distance to you. If you don't do this, the draft of the vehicle at close distance could throw you off the bike or a mirror could hit you.
3. Do not indicate a turn by stretching out your arm! Drivers will either hit your arm, or speed up to get past you before you actually turn. Simply make sure that there is enough space for drivers to react and slow down, then do the turn slowly, while you carefully watch the approaching vehicles.
5. Know your traffic partners. Colliding with a motorbike causes a lot of injury. Hitting a car, badly damages the bike but the rider often slides smoothly over bonnet or roof. Pedestrians and dogs will be propelled away when hit, and often you will stay in the saddle with zero damage to the bike.
7. Just maintain your speed. When you go slow, drivers tend to push you to the slower lanes where many funny things happen (and many taxis linger). If you go really slow, beggars may even approach you.
:lol:
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    So the message is if you are going to get hit make sure it`s a car.They make it sound like fun,sliding smoothly over a bonnet or roof.Apparently hitting pedestrians is fine too,though I`m not sure they would get "propelled away" whilst rider stays in the saddle,it doesn`t quite fit with the laws of physics.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Bringing a slightly serious note - if this is posted in India, you must remember that when driving on Indian roads - the bigger vehicle has right of way. Always.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Think that's right in terms of preferring the landing on a bonnet designed with errant j-walkers in mind, than receiving a Glasgow kiss at 30mph.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bringing a slightly serious note - if this is posted in India, you must remember that when driving on Indian roads - the bigger vehicle has right of way. Always.

I think you mean Bangkok, judgiong form the website name:

http://www.bangkok.com/cycling/the-surv ... lists.html
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    He he he missed that! :oops: :wink:

Actually one of my best mates lives in Bangkok. I must pass this on to him and see what he says (he does actually cycle there!)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Having looked at the link, I can only say that it was penned by an American who rides a bike – I can’t, in all honesty, call him a cyclist!
    Bangkok has been my home for the past 7 years and I normally cycle over 1000 kms a month.
    Let’s examine three of the cycling pages:-
    Cycling in Bangkok - http://www.bangkok.com/cycling/cycling-in-bangkok.htmlThere are 7 ‘recommended routes for your convenience and safety.’! All routes start in the Central Business District (CBD) and the longest one is 2.9 kms. BTW, all distances are wrong! I don’t know about you but it takes me longer than 2.9 kms to warm up! Why does he recommend routes in the most heavily congested part of Bangkok?
    Recommended Bike Shops - http://www.bangkok.com/cycling/recommended-bike-shops.htmlIt’s out of date – ProBike have not been there for many years and Thacannasia moved two years ago!
    Cyclists Survival Guide - http://www.bangkok.com/cycling/the-survival-guide-for-cyclists.htmlWhere do I start?
    Para 2 – ‘…if a fast vehicle approaches, you must move about one meter [sic] towards the center [sic] of the lane, then quickly come back.’ Very sensible tactics!
    Para 2 – ‘If you don't do this, the draft of the vehicle at close distance could throw you off the bike or a mirror could hit you.’ We are talking about Bangkok’s CBD and gridlock, how much ‘draft‘ will you get?
    Para 4 – I am surprised! Buses stopping at bus stops!
    Para 6 – yes, taxis and tuk tuks do stop for fares!
    Para 7 – ‘If you go really slow, beggars may even approach you.’ Most beggars are not able to walk and are bused in by the .Bangkok Mafia’! How can they approach you?
    Para 11 – ‘What about rain? Follow in someone else's track as to avoid covered holes. Be prepared to get out of the way, a lot of drivers don't reduce their speed in water while accidents definitely happen.’ We have torrential rain here when traffic comes to a standstill. Even in lighter rain, the traffic is slower.
    Is cycling a nightmare here? It's no worse than anywhere else as long as you know the local conditions/laws.
    Picture2.jpg
    Just one of a series of cards that I give to random drivers; this one advises them to give cyclists room, don't cut in and be careful opening doors.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Mr. Hippo, the impression I had was that it was written by a native. Although not 'engrish' it doesn't, I don't think, quite convey what the writer is trying to say.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    actually the fake wobble trick can be very useful, i do it sometimes when i get the feeling someone behind me is thinking about passing in a stupid place.