9 spd shifters and 10 spd front/rear mechs and cassette

Phideaux
Phideaux Posts: 87
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
This may sound like a daft question but I'm building my first bike from S/H parts (because it's all I can afford) and I need some basic advice about what will work with what.

Desired outcome - 18 speed Audax type bike (but not for competition)

Purchased so far
Kinesis Racelight T frame
Ultegra 53/39 crank
105 9x2 STi levers

Will they fit:
105 or Ultegra 10 speed front and rear dérailleurs
105 or Ultegra 10 speed cassettes (yes, I realise that only 9 of the 10 speeds are likely to work).

[/u]
Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    9 speed shifters won't work with a 10 speed cassette. The spacing is different.
  • Phideaux
    Phideaux Posts: 87
    Mister W wrote:
    9 speed shifters won't work with a 10 speed cassette. The spacing is different.

That's interesting and useful to know because it also means that I have to get a 9 speed freewheel hub as 10 speed cassettes will fit a 9 speed but not the other way round (according to Zinn).

So I can now delete all of those 10 speed items I'm watching on eBay :lol:

Cheers for that.
    Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There are some wheels with a 'Shimano 10sp only' freehub, mainly Ultegra and Dura Ace wheels with an aluminium freehub body.
    But most wheels which are sold to fit Shimano will take, 8, 9 or 10sp cassettes.

See what Sheldon says, rather than Zinn
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#10

Because you have 9sp shifters, you'll need a 9sp cassette, but this can be any 9sp - 105, Tiagra, whatever as long as it's Shimano 9sp

You can use 8sp, 9sp or 10sp front & rear mechs and chainset