Upminster to City (possible ?)

fatbloke8
fatbloke8 Posts: 36
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
First post here so be gentle please.

I'm in the process of moving to upminster from Rayleigh in the next few months. As I am new to the area I have a couple of questions which I am hoping that someone can answer

Does anyone on here commute from Upminter or surrounding areas to the City (Liverpool St Area)?

Is it possible ?, I would guess yes but it will take time to build up
What is the mileage and how long does the commute take I am guessing depending what mph you average will dicate this so 15=hour 10=hour and half?
Is the best way through Romford, Seven Kings, Ilford, Stratford over Bow flyover and into Aldgate or is there a better way ?
As I am fairly new I know I am going to have to stagger the days I do the commute at first and build up slowly till my fitness catches up, however as it is a chunky one will it take long time to build up
Are there any decent cycling clubs in and around upminster mainly for social rides as new to the area would like to meet like minded people.

Apologies for the all the questions but I am fairly new to the cycling scene hence what may seem obvious questions to you experienced guys are head scratchers for me.

Thanks in advance
FB

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    While you are building up, why not try a combo of train and cycling - you have many choices of stops along that route to hop on/off at? (You will prob need a folder tho', given that you are heading into London)

Edit: Unless you are brave enough to leave your bike lcoked at the station...
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    You'll need a folder for the old C2C trains.

You could try cycling from Limehouse, then bring it back to West Ham or even Barking, then Upminster.

I'd stay well clear of the A13, but beware that the Romford Road (which will take you into the City, but probably under another name) can also get a bit 'tasty' in busy periods.

Good luck.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    The www.tfl.gov.uk website travel planner (go into advanced options) will give you a route, distance and approximate time which might be a useful starting point.

My guess is that it's quite a long way (17/18miles?) for a new rider & definitely worth trying it out on a Sunday first to learn the route & work out how long it'll take you. If a newish/slowish person then an hour and a half I'd say.

Get a bike computer (you can get them for about £20-£30 which tell you basic stuff like average speed etc) to learn what speed you travel at (and to give you something to motivate you) though don't forget to allow time for getting lost....

You're allowed a bike on the district line except at peak times so you could shorten your journey if you don't mind getting up at the crack of dawn. Or you can always do the ride to work, tube home, tube in, ride home trick for a while to break yourself in to it.

Good luck!
  • fatbloke8
    fatbloke8 Posts: 36
    thanks for all the advice guys
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I do this journey sometimes.

I find it's best to go via Hornchurch, Rush Green, Dagenham (@ fiddlers r/bout turn left), Wood Lane, Barking, East Ham, Plaistow, Canning Town, Limehouse, Commercial Rd.

Same on the way back. Although I'd put it on a train to Fenchurch St (last one in morning @ 06:49) and just try the journey home.
  • It is 20 miles from Avon Road to Bishopsgate. Takes me about 1:45 at the weekend. Never did it during the week and have moved offices to Canary Wharf now
    Best way is
    Down to Upminster Bridge - long haul up to Hornchurch (not a good start)
    Through Rush Green to the Fiddlers (probably the worst bit as there is no on road CP, it is shared on a bumpy narrow pavement)
    Wood Lane
    Potters Lane
    Lodge Lane
    A13 - wonderful cycle path - take care over the junctions and kept to the south side as there is no way past the North Circular otherwise.
    Don't use the Bus Lane at the Blackwall Tunnel or you will have to wait for a bus to change the lights for you !!
    Then East India Dock Road and Commercial Road or Cable Street CP

After that it depends which end of Bishopsgate.

Going home, St Mary's Lane past the Ingrebourne will kill you, especially after 18 miles. I turn off up Bridge Avenue and cut across the park.

If you can suffer sleeping policeman, I miss Hornchurch and Rush Green by cutting through to the Cardrome and along a rough track in Eastbrook Country Park (this is going home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7weVO7R7NLQ )

East Ham through to Upton Park gets busy so I try to avoid that route.
  • Just remembered I hadn't answered this bit.
    fatbloke8 wrote:
    Are there any decent cycling clubs in and around upminster mainly for social rides as new to the area would like to meet like minded people.

Harris Cowell cycle shop in Corbets Tey Road has a number of leaflets in their window for local meets.
  • spursn17
    Just remembered I hadn't answered this bit.
    fatbloke8 wrote:

Harris Cowell cycle shop in Corbets Tey Road has a number of leaflets in their window for local meets.

Has it?

I pass it every day and never been in there, looked like a kids bike shop.
  • spursn17 wrote:
    Just remembered I hadn't answered this bit.
    fatbloke8 wrote:

Has it?

I pass it every day and never been in there, looked like a kids bike shop.

Get my bike serviced there. They do tend to only sell kids bikes, but his services are cheap and good.
  • spursn17
    I do my own servicing, even cheaper!

Does he stock any decent stuff?
  • spursn17 wrote:
    I do my own servicing, even cheaper!

Does he stock any decent stuff?

No - It is a father and son business. I had a nice chat with the Mr Cowell Jnr (lol) a couple of months ago. He said it isn't worth their time getting road bikes or decent commuter bikes in as Evans and the like, sell in for more in their sales than they could buy for. I am more fascinated by Chainlink (?) in Hornchurch, just past The Harrow. It always looks a mess inside and you can only just get through the door, but he has the bikes in there worth £000's. You can tell which ones as he gives you dirty looks if you so much as breath on them. :lol:
  • spursn17
    I had a look in the window one sunday, loads of good stuff but I'm scared to go in there.

Reminds me of 'Royston Vasey' in 'The League of Gentlemen'. :lol:
  • Keira
    Keira Posts: 6
    Hi,

I googled Upminster cycling and came across your thread. I moved to the Upminster area (North Ockendon to be precise) a few months ago and I'm looking for someone to a bit of cycling with. I thought about joining the Upminster cycling club but I'm not 100% sure I'd keep up - distance is no object but I've lost a bit of fitness lately so it's pace I'm worried about.

Anyway, I'm really hoping to meet up with someone or a group that I can cycle with once or twice a week, in the evenings or on weekends. I have a road bike and a mountain bike so happy with either terrain. Nothing too mental - just 10-20 miles or so to begin with.

If anyone can take pity on an Essex newcomer then please reply. I also work in central London so even if it's joining someone for a commute home then I'd be interested in that, as prior to moving here I used to cycle Walthamstow to Victoria every day so am used to city riding.

I just find it so much more motivating to ride with someone else but I can't persuade my boyfriend to cycle further than the end of the drive!

Thanks!

Keira
  • AFAIK their isn't an Upminster Cycling Club. I presume you mean the Havering CTC which rides out from Roomes.
    The Thurrock Sustrans Group does (very) occasional rides. I am thinking of starting a cycle club at my gym, but getting hold of the correct person to speak to has been a little difficult.
    If you want someone to cycle with, I can manage 20 miles and occasionally more :wink:
    If you want a commuting buddy PM me, I am free most mornings.
  • Keira
    Keira Posts: 6
    Yep, I did mean the Havering CTC - came up in the same google as this thread. Where abouts do you commute from and to and what time do you leave? I've been too nervous to give it a go as yet because I don't know the route well enough, but I could definitely be up for that. It'd be good to have someone to follow!

In the meantime, perhaps we could go for a ride around here to check I can keep up with you - I quite like the Upminster - Bulphan - North Stifford - South Ockendon - Upminster round trip, which is 16 miles or so.

Let me know if you'd be up for that - perhaps email me? keirahammond@yahoo.co.uk

Do you ride a mountain bike or a road bike? I have both - the MB is a bit heavy but makes me more confident, but if you ride a road bike then I'd be better off using mine so I can keep up easier.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Essex Roads CC meet up on Sunday mornings at 9am in Billericay. Its a bit of a hike from Upminster (circa 12 miles - perhaps you could drive your bike over if you arent comfortable riding over) but there are several groups that go out starting from beginners up to racers so you should find a group that fits your ability and the rides are pretty much entirely on the country lanes north of Billericay.

Have a look at the website:

http://www.essexroadscyclingclub.com/
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I did Leicester Square to Upminster the other day to meet up with some people.

Took about 70 minutes, but I didn't know where I was going - so slightly slower progress than normal. I kinda suspect the route I chose wasn't the most optimal cycling route (even without the optional scenic bits :)) too.

But yeah, it's doable - I reckon you'd want to spend a while experimenting with different routes to find the clearest one though.
  • So does anyone ride out of Upminster?

I am trying to get back into some training rides as will be cycling the London to Paris in July...

On the subject of servicing and repairs - I get all my work done at Cyclecellar in Elm Park. Cytech accredited workshop and great prices beats anywhere else....
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I commute Barking to Basildon and back most days, go via Upminster / Hornchurch when the weathers not too good, and via Bulphan when it's nice. Happy to have company now and again...as I don't really see many other cyclists on the road (except paper boys at 6.30 am but they don't count!).

Once the London marathon is over I'd be happy to meet for Sunday rides with anyone on an ad-hoc basis. Anywhere between 20 and 100 miles, road bike.
  • spursn17
    Just found this post via an old PM from Keira (sorry for not replying, first time I've logged on in ages :oops: ).

I joined Gateway cycle club which meets on Sunday mornings at Bulphan church at 09:30. The club run is usually about 45 miles at roughly 15-16mph average speed.

http://www.gatewaycycling.org.uk/

There is a recreational section that does less mileage at a more sedate speed, or you could go out with the racers!
  • If anyone is still interested in joining a bike group in the Upminster area we, the Havering branch of CTC, meet in Upminster 50m from Tube / Rail Station outside Roomes Home and Fashion store every Sunday at 8.45 for a 9am Start.
    We ride a range of bikes and ride at a reasonably leisurely pace - we don't 'drop' anyone check out our website http://www.ctchavering.btck.co.uk for more info