Help a total newbie

Quirky
Quirky Posts: 123
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I'm totally new to the world of road cycling, I've always been more of a mountain biker but my brother has persuaded me to give it a try.

At first I considered just getting a hybrid as a compromise but now I'm swinging towards the road bike option. Just a couple of things though, I've definately not got a figure for lycra, so what's another option clothing wise, I don't want to look like a pleb wearing my baggies, but I don't want to offend every pair of eyes that I ride past by wearing lycra, is there any middle ground?

Also, I'd quite like to use my new bike as a commuter occasionally too so would this be practible?

By the way, the bike I'm looking at is the Trek 1.7 Triple

Any help is appreciated folks :D
weight.png

Comments

• Quirky
    Anyone?
    weight.png
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Once you're on the bike it doesn't matter what you look like!
    I'm as skinny as a rake and my wormates didn't appreciate me turning up in bib tights as they can be a bit revealing :oops:
    I don't care but for the sake of my workmates i just put a pair of super thin cut off combats over the lycra 8)

I've seen all sorts of figures on bikes, don't worry they're all just jelous 8)
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I can't help much with the clothing choice

but i can help with the signature:

after the first url insert = and remove the first ]

p.s its about comfort not looks - but consider lyrca on the bottom half at least
  • Quirky
    Signature fixed, cheers

I'd be quite happy riding in baggies, I normally where lycra shorts underneath anyway, I just don't want to look like a fool!

A lycra top is out of the question, I'd rather die! I'd wear tights but I'd still feel the need to cover up with some shorts, at least until I lose a few pounds
    weight.png
  • STEFANOS4784
    I haven't seen the guy recently but he used to ride a gold coloured Giant road bike, musta been about 17 stone and he didn't care. I remember chasing him up a hill which was quite easy then the strait he was quite quick and i don't like taking over so stayed behind but when we went down a hill i was pedalling like a maniac (probably slight over exageration) just to keep up with him freewheeling. Don't worry mate just live the dream 8)
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    i think that ON the bike it's pretty easy to get away with (i'm no skinny girl) - but i do change pretty rapidly out of it once OFF the bike.

Also (and i'm as vain as the next person) - you have to remember - No one else really cares - they proably won't even notice.
  • STEFANOS4784
    LittleB0b wrote:
    No one else really cares - they proably won't even notice.

That's what i should have said, people are to wrapped up in them selves to care about anyone they don't know :D
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    Quirky - don't worry about what you wear. I am a definate chunky monkey, weighing in at 110kg and less than 5'10.
    I wear lycra shorts/tights but normal t shirts or lightweight long sleeves on the top.
    would like to wear proper cycling tops but as you said earlier "not until i lose a few pounds".
    (BTW have lost nearlt 3 stone in last year)
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • I've got some shorts which are a halfway house between baggies and lycra: Rapha FIXED shorts. Rapha also do a cheaper touring shorts style. They're not quite as figure hugging as lycra, which is probably a good thing for some of us.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    I weigh in at an attractive 18 stone! :lol:

I wear lycra, cycling specific tops, all sorts really. I see it as my role to make others laugh when I am out on my bike. When it is colder I wear baggies other the top of bibs or three quarters. On the top half I wear a base layer, cycling top (it is an endura mountain biking top which is a pretty relaxed fit until I put it on!)

I used to be worried about what other people thought but now I don't really care. Nobody has said anything to me though. It is primarily about being comfortable. If you are comfortable on the bike you will cycle more and further and the weight will fall off!

Don't worry about it, just ride more.

Anyway, I have to go as I am going to try on a white assos all in one! :D

Cheers

Beefcake2
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    beefcake2 wrote:

I wear lycra, cycling specific tops, all sorts really. I see it as my role to make others laugh when I am out on my bike. When it is colder I wear baggies other the top of bibs or three quarters. On the top half I wear a base layer, cycling top (it is an endura mountain biking top which is a pretty relaxed fit until I put it on!)

I used to be worried about what other people thought but now I don't really care. Nobody has said anything to me though. It is primarily about being comfortable. If you are comfortable on the bike you will cycle more and further and the weight will fall off!

Cheers

Beefcake2

18 stone & called beefcake whoes going to say anything to you ? Certainly not me !!!
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • STEFANOS4784
    beefcake2 wrote:

Cheers

Beefcake2

18 stone & called beefcake whoes going to say anything to you ? Certainly not me !!!

I will say something, Lokk at this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fat-Bastard-Cycli ... 240%3A1317

I wish they did an anorexic size so i could get it, think of the irony :D
  • STEFANOS4784
    P.s, i'm not trying to be a git, but i just love that jersey 8)
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    P.s, i'm not trying to be a git, but i just love that jersey

No worries! I am the first one to admit that I look more like Dafydd (the only gay in the village) than Armstrong when in my cycling gear. :lol:

I have lost weight since I started cycling. Just over 2 stone now. Only another 3.5 stone and then I can buy a Wilier Cento!!! :D:D:D

Cheers

Beefcake2