Defy 1 or Specialized Allez Elite...you choose?!

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Ok lets get this CTW scheme sorted!! finally got my choice down to defy 1 or allez elite and i need some help before making the final decision....here's what i think..
Both have a similar spec but for shear appearance ( yes i know we are all vain :D ) and feel the allez seems to be ahead, it also had a brilliant write up in C+ some time ago. Unfortunately it only takes clip on mudguards, and I suppose i should expect this if i want an out and out fast racing/sportive bike. If i go for the allez I will need to add clip ons for purely dry and practical reasons....in a word or clip ons any good? and if this is my only gripe should i take the allez and live with the clip ons? On a lighter note the allez is much more noticeable fantastic red and black finish....but this could cause it's own problems...ie nice bike to nick!

The Defy 1, can't find a write up for it but have had a ride and fleels good and comfy. The colours a bit bland, but may not be nicked so easily. The real + is it takes it's own dedicated giant mudguards which look a lot better than the clip ons?

I supposed in essence both bikes are great machines but I only get to acquire a bike once on the BTW scheme and i want it to be the best....at present i commute/train on a genesis day 01 and to be really honest it has been somewhat disappointing clunky gearing...back wheel needed rebuilt as spokes kept breaking....I plan to keep both bikes and use the genesis on really bad days and keep the good road bike all wrapped up and comfy in bed :D:D

So there it is guys.....prob just a question of mudguards....what do you think....i know these bikes have been compared before but i would like some fresh views...thanks for looking

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Sounds like you really prefer the Allez. If your'e keeping the genesis for bad weather then why not go for the one that moves you
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I've been using a clip on mudguard for the last few months on my Allez - no problems.

You've already made your decision though and just want it justifying.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • These were the exact two bikes I was looking at for my cycle to work scheme.

After seeing the reviews and comments about the Boardman bikes I decided to take a look and ended up the with the Team. For me it fitted better and has a better spec for the cash, £799.99.

If you've got your heart set on the Defy or Allez though out of the two I preferred the Allez. The Defy just didn't 'do' it for me when I compared the two in the flesh.
  • unfortunately cannot get a boardman as they are only as we know via halfords. Just found a review on the defy 1 in the usa mag bicycling....great write up....at the end of the day in reality there is little between them...what might push me to the defy is my LBS is a giant stockist ( just 200 yds from my house) he knows that I will be getting the bike via the BTW scheme and raves about the defy 1.....i'll have my mind made up on Mond as the order needs to go in soon...it's exciting though to get a knew state of the art bike to burn up the miles....the anticipation of all those big hills that I soon will be flying up :) :oops: i'll post some pics when i get :D

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    I looked at the two of them and prefered the Defy - no other reason than looks... but then as my granny would say beauty is in the eye of th beholder...

I haven't purchased as yet
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I just got a Defy 1, and am really enjoying it.

Here is a write up with comparison:
    http://www.birdiebikes.co.uk/defy2VS.htm
  • I had a similar choice, but at a lower price point - £750 (Defy 2 vs Allez Sport). I preferred the fit and feel of the Giant and so went for that (the mudguard possibility was also at the back of my mind, in case the bike ends up as a future winter bike). Have to say I'm very pleased with it. Looks-wise, it's better in reality than in photos and it's certainly grown on me.

I couldn't find any reviews prior to purchase and so went on instinct, but 220 Triathlon compared the Defy 2 and Allez Sport recently and the Defy came out on top.

Either would be a great bike, trust your instinct!
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    If your going to buy a Giant check out Chris's Bikes in Cambridge; I bought a TCR C Zero 2008 off him the other day for £1500! He usually has some great deals going:

http://www.chrisbikes.co.uk/bike_special_offers/
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    I tried both last weekend along with the Boardman and a Merida. I took each for a 5 mile test ride courtesy of Bikehut and my LBS and have now ordered the Giant.
    Can't exactly put my finger on what exactly it was but when i was riding it it just felt like we were meant to be together. The fit, feel and handling just suited me perfectly. As most of my riding is commute and long distance charity rides & centuries (Miles not KM) fit and feel were more important to me than looks and out and out speed.
    Horses for Courses i supose.
    Can't wait for it to arive now though.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Let us know if you make a purchase and your post buyin evaluation ;-)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'm just getting back into cycling after 15 years off and recently bought a Defy 2, I'm finding it a comfortable ride with a good range of gears to help me along and plenty of performance left in case I get any better.

The only problem I've found during the winter is that the rear brake (Shimano Tiagra) gets clogged up and seizes a lot. I have the Giant Defy/Avail mudguards fitted but their design means that the brakes are not protected from the elements, as you mentioned earlier the clearance on the Defy is not sufficient for standard full mudguards.

The front brake has not suffered with the same problem and has a consistantly good performance in all conditions.

I think that the Defy 1 has Shimano 105 Brakes fitted and wonder if these will perform better than the Tiagra's? If so I may need to upgrade.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    just ordered the Defy 1 impressed with the spec & it felt right. + I like its under- stated looks, I don't do flash or bling.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • tobyker
    tobyker Posts: 7
    This pensioner is about to collect his Defy 2, having looked at all the options around that price. My lad's on his 2nd RTW bike - his firm let people get as many as they want - (one at a time!)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    tobyker wrote:
    This pensioner is about to collect his Defy 2,

sincere apologies to Tobyker - but this says it all to me - go for the allez
  • Through the shops that do our cyclescheme, I had the choice of the specialized Allez or Giant Defy. After a try on both I went with the Giant Defy from my LBS. I got the 2 as I couldn't see that the spec on the 1 was £200 better. The LBS were very grateful & gave me 30% off new shoes & pedals, some free lights and a free 'deterrent' lock (but I've bought a couple of decent U locks for home & work).

I agree with the review that it is quite an 'upright' position as I had to take all the spacers out to get the top of the bars to the same height as the flat bar on my old hybrid but it is a comfortable position and you've got the drops to go to as well.

TBH it comes down to the same advice that is dished out on here all the time, the spec of the Elite & 1 looks pretty similar so give them a try and see which one you prefer. If there is no noticeable difference buy from the shop that will give you the best customer service.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Just one thing to note for the Defy 2 owners, watch the back wheel as I've recently had 2 incidents where I broke a spoke.

You'll notice on the cassette side they are cross spoked and the other side is radial which is the side that has caused the problems. I've learnt that this problem is not uncommon and is not isolated to Giant bikes.

My LBS have just rebuilt the wheel for me using cross spoking both sides. Maybe I was just unlucky and got one from a dodgy batch, except for that the bike is great in my opinion.

Hey Graham - little bit harsh on Defy owners, but I'll take it on the chin - lol.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sorry :oops:

It's not really the defy model as such, I'm just not keen on the Giant brand - but then I am a specialized fan and I appreciate that they have their fair share of 'knockers' too.
  • My only outright criticism of the Defy 2 is the colour scheme, it always reminds me of the stereotypical boys bedroom from the 80's...

Giant Defy 2
    Brooklyn_Bridge__New_York_mural-Contemporary_Furniture_Collection__hv_1x1.jpg

Typical Boys Bedroom
    Defy%202.jpg
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    My only outright criticism of the Defy 2 is the colour scheme, it always reminds me of the stereotypical boys bedroom from the 80's...

Giant Defy 2
    Brooklyn_Bridge__New_York_mural-Contemporary_Furniture_Collection__hv_1x1.jpg

Typical Boys Bedroom
    Defy%202.jpg
    +1 for Tarquin, I got my Defy 1 mon night, still in the process of setting it up ( been busy ) but well impressed with it up to now.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I have the '08 Allez. It's a great bike and has served me well. Stylish design, relatively light and robust.

I have only had one problem. I replaced the original Jalco Dynamics rims after only 5 months because they had worn dangerously. However the manufacturers admitted it was a defect and refunded me so I don't think this is anything to worry about. On the '09 model, I believe the rims are Mavics which should be better anyway.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    My only outright criticism of the Defy 2 is the colour scheme, it always reminds me of the stereotypical boys bedroom from the 80's...
    Fair point, but don't judge it until you've seen it in the real. I've dismissed several bikes' colourschemes until I see them in a shop.

To the OP: no-one can decide this for you. Choosing a bike is a personal thing, like a car, mayo vs sauce on chips or anything else that matters. I don't understand why people expect strangers on a cycling forum to give them the answer. It isn't a case of one being a duffer and the other great. You ought to ride - or at least sit on - both models to get a feel for the differences. If that doesn't do it then pick the colour you like best.

And if you're worrying about it being nicked then buy a D-lock! :roll:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I have the '08 Elite. It's a great bike and has served me well. Stylish design, relatively light and robust.

I have only had one problem. I replaced the original Jalco Dynamics rims after only 5 months because they had worn dangerously. However the manufacturers admitted it was a defect and refunded me so I don't think this is anything to worry about. On the '09 model, I believe the rims are Mavics which should be better anyway.
  • trevtherev
    I am having the Defy 1 delivered next Monday 30th March on the CTW scheme....photos will follow...can't wait to get out on this performance bike.

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • trevtherev
    oh and a report will follow as I am sure you will be eager to know what I think. My present bike is the genesis day 01 ( no real comparison ) and I have been disappointed with it's performance over the last 3 years...maybe my needs have changed the defy will be used to keep me half marathon fit on my daily commutes ,and build up to some nice evening summer cycles.

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • Simon E wrote:
    Fair point, but don't judge it until you've seen it in the real. I've dismissed several bikes' colourschemes until I see them in a shop.

I don't need to go to a shop, the bike is in my dining room* :)

(*while I wait for a ground anchor to turn up, insurance requirements for a £750 bike :shock: )
  • tobyker
    tobyker Posts: 7
    Fair point Graham ; the LBS recommended the Defy 2 as having a slightly more relaxed geometry than others around the same price point. I guess it all depends what you want to do with your bike. I collected it this pm and in my view the finish - welds and paintwork is very good. Got fit last year for the October Braveheatrt on a Merlin mountain bike - looking fwd to the June Braveheart on the Giant. (Defy - funny name for a bike!)