First Sportive - what to expect

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
Hi,

In training for the Etape 09 and thinking about a few Sportives to get under the belt as good practice for riding in groups. I'm in the South West so have considered Forest of Dean Classic and Tour of Wessex.

Any advice for a first timer on do's and dont's (aside from not training properly!). Anything I should know before clicking on the entry forms? Will I be laughed at if I'm not wearing the right colour socks, for example?

Cheers

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ride what you like, wear what you like - and most of all - ride at your own pace, not someone else's. Tha just about covers it.. ;)
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I certainly wouldnt worry about the socks - as a proud wearer of black socks i have never received any negative comments :lol:
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    thanks - do I need to be affiliated to any national bodies?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    What to expect?

PAIN!

Especially if you ride at someone else's pace, wear brand new clothing for the first time on the ride, don't eat properly, don't pay attention to other riders around you, don't check your bike over beforehand...

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    steerpike wrote:
    thanks - do I need to be affiliated to any national bodies?

no..
  • Remember to be nice to people. Otherwise you'll come on here and find out who's said thanks to the organisers and helpers while you remember nodding at someone while covered in dribble and sweat.
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    Especially if you ride at someone else's pace, wear brand new clothing for the first time on the ride, don't eat properly, don't pay attention to other riders around you, don't check your bike over beforehand...
    First season of sportives for me ... rode the Puncheur and did it in a non-stellar time, but finished feeling ok. Got my fueling right, checked the bike ... all good stuff.

Two weeks later doing to the Spring Epic, but had a car accident on the Thursday, so had to sort out replacement transport, so didn't eat properly on the Friday or ride with my new 12-27 cassette to check it was ok, had a very late night, long drive to the event, stupidly didn't eat or drink properly whilst riding ... can you guess where this is heading?

Ended up with two chain incidents (one on the second biggest climb of the day), a dose of cramp about 200 metres from the top of Clee Hill (but struggled through it) and then bonked about 12 miles from the end, so suffered all the way in. After all that finished in 3hr50m, but was just soooooo happy to see the Epic Cycles shop!! :D

That'll teach me not to pay attention to everything McBain said! :oops:

Have to say though, that if these two events are representative of what I have to come this year, then I'm looking forward to it as they've both been really well organised.

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)